2.4.1 Data protection, health and safety and other key legislation and policy
Welcome to chapter 4 of the 'Policies, pastoral care and practical applications' module. Teaching is naturally a profession which is bound by numerous ethical and moral responsibilities alongside the more traditional job duties. This chapter will discuss other elements of legislation, policy and moral and ethical duties which teachers must have an understanding of to practice effectively. Both Data Protection and Health and Safety will be discussed, as well as the ethics of teaching as a profession and a discussion of the limitations of the professional's role.
Goals for this section
- To understand what Data Protection and Health and Safety are and why they are vital to teaching practice.
- To understand the legal and ethical responsibilities of a teacher, and the limitations and boundaries of this role.
Objectives for this section
- To be able to explain what Data Protection and Health and Safety are and how the policies in place enforce this.
- To be able to identify ways in which Data Protection and Health and Safety are implemented daily across Educational institutions.
- To consider the ways in which Data Protection and Health and Safety can be integrated into everyday teaching practice.
- To understand and be able to critique the legal and ethical responsibilities and boundaries of the teacher's professional role.