Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UK Essays.
- Monica Suzanne B. Castro
Career Investigated: Nutrition/Diet Specialist
Part 1: Educational and Career Goals
There are many reasons why I chose to study nutrition. A) I will have opportunities in various fields that involve advising people on what to eat, so jobs often are easier to come by than they are in other fields. B) I will be able to work with those who are ill or need a special diet, in which case a hospital, nursing home or treatment center may be the best option for a job. C) I can become a private nutritionist, all types of people can come to me for advice on how to eat right.
The nutrition industry is a field of healthcare focused on improving everyday health and state of well-being. I enjoy activities often associated with nutrition and fitness including yoga, running, outdoor activities, meditation, healthy diet, organic living, and more. My goal is to further my education, get certified and become a nutrition specialist. As the health and fitness trend is sweeping the world, it is affecting and revolutionizing the health industry like never before. The demand for young, ambitious health and wellness graduates is continuously rising and a myriad of great job opportunities are opening up in different fields of nutrition science. With the growth in this industry there is an increasing scope of enjoying a successful career in this exciting field of healthcare. It is hard work, and for the dedicated, the pay can be very good to excellent. But I would do it because I want to share my knowledge and help other people, not for the money.
Part 2: Employment Opportunities and Applications of Applied Learning
- Potential Employers
- Job title: Nutrition Specialist
GENERAL PURPOSE: Under close supervision, prepares hot and nutritious meals for homebound individuals and senior citizens.
Education and Experience: Two (2) years of meal preparation experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience providing requisite skills to successfully perform position requirements.
Special Requirements: Must possess Food Handler’s Card at time of hire. Physical Demands / Work Environment: Works in an industrial kitchen and senior center facility. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance, greater than 50 lbs. with assistance or use of mechanical aid.
Reports To: Community Center Manager Supervision Exercised: None
- Job Title: Nutrition Specialist/Outreach Worker
PREFERRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, with previous public contact work experience preferred. Previous supervisory experience preferred. Two years of Food Service training required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
(A) Ability to learn standard Microsoft software and Food Works software.
(B) Ability to obtain yearly Food Safety & Sanitation Training.
(C) Ability to obtain CPR and First Aide training.
(D) Ability to drive a motor vehicle.
(E) Ability to handle stressful situations.
(F) Ability to perform duties with a high degree of attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
(G) Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Older Americans staff and the general public.
- Job Title: Nutrition Specialist
Get help with your essay today
from our professional essay writers!
Visit www.ukessays.com to see how we can help you!
Two years’ experience as a cook in a non-fast food restaurant or healthcare setting.
Familiarity with basic kitchen principles, portioning, stock management.
High School Diploma or equivalent,
Oregon Food Handler’s card
ServSafe Certification preferred.
Experience growth and development through our continuous training, as well as tuition and licensure reimbursement, or pursue opportunities to advance both clinically and administratively with Youth Villages.
- Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
In this position you will:
- Assemble and deliver patient, visitor, and staff meal orders in a high-volume, fast-paced environment to patients’ rooms or designated location.
- Visit patients who did not place a meal order and assist them as appropriate
- Maintain cash bank and process cash sale orders
- Retrieve meal trays from patients rooms
Requiredqualifications for this position include:
-High school Diploma or GED
-Related customer service experience
- Job Title: Nutrition Services Substitute
Essential job functions include the following:
– Assist with preparation of meals according to specifications from the Cook Manager, Head Satellite Cook or Nutrition Services Specialist.
– Clean all food service equipment and preparation and service areas; wash dishes, pots, pans and utensils used in preparation and service of meal.
– Set up serving line and gather carts, trays, napkins and utensils; place items in proper location for customers.
– Serve food to students and staff.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
– Operate computerized register (Point of Sale System).
– Attend workshops and in-services for continued professional growth and training.
– Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Understanding of sanitation and safety practices related to handling and serving food.
- Ability to use standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements.
- Basic food preparation including washing, cutting and assembling food items and ingredients.
- Regular attendance.
Continuously stand, reach with one or both hands, lift up to 15 pounds; frequently twist, lift up to 40 pounds, push and pull up to 15 pounds; occasionally crouch, kneel, stoop, lift up to 50 pounds.
- Potential Customers In My Local Area
- Rachel Geller – She is interested in getting a personal nutritionist. She is trying to eat healthier and shred some unwanted pounds.
In order to accomplish her goals, I have to discuss and tackle her personalized eating and exercise plan, she will have to start off slow and eventually work her way up, to an everyday “natural” routine. She will have to start a daily food diary; it will aid her in keeping track of her daily calorie intake. It will also aid her by showing what recommendations she need and how much of them she need, that way she can fulfill her daily nutritional recommendations.
- The Skills I Have Obtained Nowadays, the requirement for academic achievement play less important role as compared to the soft skills. Competitive world has led the organizations set up their recruitment based on other non-academic factors. Knowledge is being gained through experience, not from the formulae from the prescribed syllabus. The knowledge gained from syllabus 3 years ago is not necessarily applicable in today’s scenario. Therefore, students like me have to update ourselves with general knowledge and current issues happening in the world.
I believe that in applying all of my lifelong studies, the lifelong study definitely increase my general knowledge and skills. I am more sensitive about the dynamic environment, have higher flexibility to make my future career as a nutritionist better.
Part 3: Continuing Education and Career Development
I want to further my education in nutrition sciences by researching and taking online programs. I believe in long life learning and self-paced studies. It will give me many opportunities to intensify my skills while pursuing my occupation. Having access to World Wide Web all over the world, with the information I need at my fingertips will propel me to a higher level of intellectual aptness. The immense number of nutrition programs available over the internet enables me to arm myself with the knowledge needed to aid me on any project or endeavor that I may attempt. Ashworth College is one of those ideal online institution that helped me pursue my dreams and ambitions to become a nutritionist. It goes above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that its students become useful members of society. As I commence my journey into real life challenges, Ashworth College will be my guide making sure that I follow the right track into the future.
Get help with your essay today
from our professional essay writers!
Visit www.ukessays.com to see how we can help you!
- Two Universities I plan to apply after Ashworth College:
- Kaplan University – Bachelor of Science in Nutrition Science
Total Core Credits: 33
Total Program Credits: 180
In this program you will explore various topics, concepts, values, research methods, and applications in nutrition science.
Your coursework will focus on:
Exploring the principles and pharmacology of nutrition and how dietary choices can contribute to a healthy lifestyle
Acquiring an understanding of digestion, absorption, and metabolism of foods and nutritional needs at various stages of the life cycle
Developing the administrative, ethical, and professional skills necessary for leadership positions throughout the health care field
Completing an original comprehensive capstone project that demonstrates your ability to apply your nutrition science knowledge and skills to real-world scenarios
- University of South Dakota – Bachelor in Health Sciences
This online Health Science degree program provides the opportunity for students with an interest in the health professions to explore the many opportunities in the field and to develop the knowledge, values and interpersonal skills needed to be successful in today’s health and human service settings.
- Certifications Related to My Field of Study
- The Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists (CBNS) – The Clinical Nutrition Certification Board (CNCB) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
Tax-exempt certification agency which provides professional training, examination and certification for health care organizations, specialty credentialing programs and state license/certification examinations.
The Purpose of Certification
The Certified Clinical Nutritionist (CCN) Examination
Establishes reputable standards of excellence
* Creation of a quality examination, based on a validated scope of practice which appropriately represents the field of clinical nutrition
* Candidate access to the broad scope of clinical nutrition training and
* A mechanism for re-certification every five years, recognizing continued
competency in the field.
The CCN Examination Candidate must:
1. Satisfy the CORE Requirements
2. Submit Credential Review Application and College Transcripts
3. Obtain Credential Review Approval
4. Complete the Post Graduate Studies in Clinical Nutrition
Program (PGSCN) ™
5. Achieve a passing score on the written CCN Examination
The CCN Examination processes and the examination data bank are reviewed and revised annually, in accordance with the specifications of the Role Delineation Study.
The CNCB utilizes a criterion referenced passing point for each section of the certification examination.
To obtain a Certificate of Completion in the field of Clinical Nutrition ONLY:
Candidate does not meet the minimum standard in core coursework or degree(s).
1. Submit your Candidate Profile Page to the CNCB.
2. Complete the 56 hour PGSCN course to obtain a Certificate of Completion
in the field of Clinical Nutrition through the Clinical Nutrition Certification Board.
MAINTAINING THE CERTIFICATION
The CCN Credential requires on-going maintenance to verify that the practitioner is
continuing to update knowledge and skills:
Forty approved CE Hours every 2 years, fulfilled by the following;
1. Attendance at “three out of four” IAACN Annual Scientific Symposiums (60 CEs earned).
2. Payment of Annual CNCB Maintenance Fee. (No refunds in part or in full)
3. Recertification in the spring of your fifth year via annual study textbooks with contracted Open Book Exam. Recertification Text books total 24 CE hours.
The CCN Continuing Education Maintenance Requirement of attendance at
3-out-of-every-4 IAACN Scientific Symposiums will satisfy the above stated
Part 4: Job Application Details
Applicant’s Name (last) Castro First
Middle Initial B. Monica Suzanne
Social Security #:
Mailing Address (Number) Street
1632 N Normandie Avenue, Apt 315
Work Telephone #
(323) 345 5839
City Los Angeles Zip code 90027
Name of School
FT Career College
Location of School
Los Angeles, CA
6625 The Corners Parkway,
Norcross, Georgia 30092
Degree or Course of Study
Certified Nursing Assistant
Nutrition, Diet and Health Science
Employment History – Begin with your most recent job. List Job Separately
Job Title: Nursing Assistant Dates worked from 2012 to Present
Name of Employer: Mark Auria
Name of Supervisor: Estelle Francia
Experienced ambulatory and non- ambulatory elderly patients. Administered medication, documented food and fluid intake, measured and charted vital signs, prepared meals, provided personal care including feeding, grooming and dressing.
PERSONAL REFERENCES: List the names of references that employers may contact.
(323) 345 8709
Address: City State
123 Easton Blvd., Los Angeles CA
Zip code 90078
(434) 346 7563
Address: City State
564 Walnut Drive Los Angeles CA
Zip code 90045
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have the essay published on the UK Essays website then please.