As a part of my Overseas Nursing Programme, I had to conduct a seminar presentation on any topic of my interest in front of students. I was given the date of presentation. Knowledge expands through communication and presentation is a means of communication and best applicable when delivering knowledge to a group. Presentation means ”A speech or talk in which a new product, idea, or piece of work is shown and explained to an audience” (Oxford dictionaries. 2014). The aim of any presentation is to motivate, to communicate, to persuade to inform, to teach or to help you express your ideas and get others to understand it(Bradbury, 2007). The content of your presentation have its own aim or purpose, normally it’s related to the outcomes you desire from the presentation’s communication. Before presenting ensure that you understand what your task is and the time available (Bradbury, 2007). During the presentation the speaker may use various aids of communication such as the audio visual aids like power point, graphs, various recordings. diagrams, flowcharts or models (Theobald, 2013).
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Find out more
Reflective practices enables the health professional to bridge that gap between the theory and practice. Reflective practice is a process by which you stop and think about your practice, consciously analyse your decision making and draw on theory and relate it to what you do in practice (Jasper, 2003). Therefore I chose Gibbs model of reflection (1988) to reflect on my presentation. Gibbs model of reflection include six different steps which are Description, Feeling, Evaluation, Analysis, Conclusion and Action Plan (Gibbs, 1988).
As a part of our Overseas Nursing Programme, we had to conduct a seminar presentation in the class in front of our batch mates. Presentation is a means of communication which can be used at various situations including a formal meeting, talk in a group or team briefing. (SkillsYouNeed (2014)). Seminar is a group meeting in which there is information or training given on a topic. Thus a seminar presentation is a method of communicating information on a topic.
Selecting the topic was the toughest part. With the short time of presentation and considering the effective delivery of information, the topic of presentation had to be brief and simple. I chose Urinary Tract Infection as my topic of presentation as it was one of the most common condition seen in my area of practice. I did an extensive literature review for the topic to obtain wide data for my presentation. Aliterature review is the data obtained from scholarly paper, which consists of the most recent information including essential findings as well as methodological and theoretical contribution to a specific topic of interest (Baker, 2000). In my presentation, I included a brief description of UTI and stated that it is a type of infection which involves various parts of the urinary tract which includes the urethra, the bladder, the ureters and the kidneys (Amdekar, Singh and Singh, 2011). Urinary tract infections occur more commonly in women than men. It’s estimated half of all women in the UK will have a UTI at least once in their life (Colgan and Williams, 2011). UTI diagnosis can be done via urine dip test and urine culture. Antibiotic treatment is necessary to clear the infection. Prevention being better than cure, good fluid intake and good personal hygiene can help reduce chances of getting urinary tract infection (Juthani-Mehta, et al. 2009). I also included in the content, how their behaviour was affected by this condition. I combined those with the practice and guidelines followed in the diagnosis and treatment in the UK and prepared the slides. I used power point technology to perform my presentation using texts, pictures and graphs. I used simple language and included only the main points. As the group for which the seminar was aimed at was educated in medical field and knew almost as much as I knew regarding the topic, discussion method was used.
Initially, I was a bit anxious and nervous as I had to present in front of a gathering. Stage fright was bit of a concern. But regardless of that, I was able to present my topic well as there was a positive environment to support me. Great reflection also results from the positive environment offered to the presenter (Brookfield,1995). I felt more and more confident as the discussion started and I was able to answer all the doubts. My assessor also helped me. At the end of the seminar I felt satisfied with my work and happy that I was able to complete the task given to me.
Even though with all the hassles, I was able to provide a brief description of the topic. It covered most of the areas and provided a clear picture regarding Urinary Tract Infection to the people gathered. Interactive secessions were carried out providing group involvement thus making the secession interesting. The various queries were dealt with proper explanation providing the accurate knowledge.
I got positive feedback from my assessor. By conducting the presentation, I was able to offer a brief description about the Urinary Tract Infection, its definition, occurrence, epidemiology, types, pathophysiology, its symptoms and management. I got good support from my assessor and audience who prompted me to do the presentation well. They were able to acquire knowledge regarding UTI and for some it offered a boost to their knowledge.
This presentation offered me an opportunity to develop my talent and skills in presentation. The group was able to understand and comprehend the information offered to them. Experiences were shared which brought in new information and made the discussion and thus the seminar more interesting. The assessors offered a positive feedback for my presentation. This experience helped me overcome my fears and gave me confidence to perform more presentation in my work place or future carrier pathway.
After performing the reflective presentation, I came up with the following action plan. Firstly
- Expand my knowledge regarding various presentation methods and new trends in nursing.
- I will attend training and perform self motivated studies to update my knowledge regarding Urinary Tract Infection and its latest managements.
- Practice the information acquired for the safe management of UTI in my place of work.
- I will also do similar presentations in my area of work to expand the knowledge to my co workers and boost my skills in presentations as well.
- Amdekar, S; Singh, V, Singh, DD (2011). “Probiotic therapy: immunomodulating approach toward urinary tract infection.”.Current microbiology63(5): 484–90.
- Atkins, S. and Murphy, K. (1994).Reflective Practice, Nursing Standards, 8(39)49-56
- Baker, P. (2000). “Writing a Literature Review.”The Marketing Review1(2) 219-47.
- Bradbury, A (2007) Successful Presentation Skills. 3rd Edition, MPG Books Ltd; 4:60-68
- Brookfield, S (1995), Developing critical thinkers: challenging adults to explore alternative ways of thinking and acting. Milton Keynes: Open University Press
- Colgan, R and Williams, M (2011). “Diagnosis and treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis.” Family physician84(7): 771–6.
- Gibbs G (1988), Learning by doing: A guide to teaching and learning methods,5:30-40
- Jasper, M (2003) Beginning Reflective Practices, Foundation in nursing and health care. Nelson Thornes Publishers, 1-6
- Johns, C. and Grahanm, J. (1996). Using a Reflective Model of Nursing and Guided Reflection, Nursing Standards 11(2) 34-38
- Juthani-Mehta M, et al. (2009). Clinical features to identify urinary tract infections in nursing home residents: a Cohort study.J Am Geriatr Soc;57:963–970.
- NHS CHOICES. (2014) Urinary Tract Infection in Adults [Online] July 2014. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Urinary-tract-infection-adults/Pages/Introduction.aspx . [ Accessed : 22 july 2014]
- Oxford dictionaries. 2014 Definition of presentation. Avaliable from: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/presentation.html. (Accessed on 19/08/14)
- Theobald, T (2013) Develop Your Presentation Skills 2nd Edition, Kogan Page Publishers, 161-168.
- SKILLS YOU NEED. (2014) Presentation Skills [Online] 2014 Available from : http://www.skillsyouneed.com/present/what-is-a-presentation.html . [ Accessed : 22 july 2014]
- Smyth J (1989): Developing and sustaining critical reflection in teacher education. Journal of Teacher Education 40(2)2-9
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: