This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.
At the initial stage of economic development companies are having less competitors and also having small business market, it means less complexity. And then slowly and gradually size of the business has increased and also increased competitors and which results more complexity. And in past few years due to recession lots of companies has faced big problems. And this kind of problem was solved by implementing policies and strategy.
In this kind of challenging business environment Siemens is still successful because performance of Siemens is still stable. And one more reason for Siemens success is strategy which helps them to make more success in future. And by applying analytical tools like SWOT analysis, PESTEL analysis they have found their success in this environment.
Siemens was founded in Berlin 1847 by Werner von Siemens. He is also known as great originator, engineer and entrepreneur of all time. He has made world's first telegraph and electro dynamo. And his vision was to take this company in every field of engineering. And today Siemens is technology giant and showing their strength in more than 190 countries around the world.
Siemens vision is innovation and development in all over world. And also they believe that they are pace setter in the field of engineering and electronic industry. From its inception Siemens provide best products and services to their customers. Siemens AG headquarters is in Berlin, Munich and Erlangen Germany. Currently worldwide more than 4, 20,800 employees are working in Siemens. At present Siemens has become big giant in many different sectors like industry, energy, communications, information, transportation, health care, components and lighting which has become extremely important part of everyday life. And they have reported global revenue of 76,651 Euros in 2009.And in Europe Siemens is known as Siemens AG. Siemens is famous for its technical achievements, innovation, quality, Trustworthiness and international standards. And Today Chief executive officer of global Siemens AG is peter loscher(C.E.O).
Importance of Business environment
Meaning of Business Environment
Business environment is all about how outward forces are affecting to the business decision. It can be forces like :
- Economic factor
- Social factor
- Political factor
- Legal factor
- Technological factor
These all factors are external and it controls externally. Because of this factors the business owners have to make some kind of changes in their business.
Importance of Business Environment
Business enterprise is open system. It interacts with its environment. It always interacts with its environment. From its environment business takes input like raw material, capital, energy and labour, and then converts into goods and services and sends it back to the environment.
Business and its external environment interact in these ways like:
- By Interchanging information
- By interchanging the resources
- By interchanging influence and power.
Reference by : Business Environment - Francis Cherunilam
Strategy analysis is all about analysing the organisation goals, objectives, External environment and internal environment. It may be looked as beginning of strategic management process. It defines "Advance work" which has to be done in order to implement strategies. requires knowledge in three areas :
Siemens is using different kind of strategy to achieve success in challenging environment. Siemens is having different type of competitors in different sectors. But Siemens has always understood the business Strategy to remain leader in market. And Siemens is using one of the strategies which is known as PESTEL analysis.
It is our goal to create value for our customers, stake holders and future for our employees.
Siemens Quality Policy
"Customer Satisfaction through Continuous Improvement."
Siemens is more concern and more focused about their quality. And quality is big factor which gives strength to assume lead role in their environment of logistic automation and material handling technology. This helps them to provide world class quality in their all products.
SIEMENS IN INDIA
India has mix economy and in this environment Siemens is active since last more than 50 years. They are masters and hold top position in the sectors like Energy, Industry and Healthcare and also using IT solutions and services for all these sectors. In 2008, According to The wall journal Siemens has ranked no. 1 from Asia's top 200 most admirable companies in the corporate reputation. And also ranked top by business week magazine from Asia's top 50 companies. Currently Siemens India is having around 17,200 employees working in their different sectors. Siemens spend lots of money in their Research and development department.
In energy sector Siemens strength is innovation which makes them expertise in the areas like power generation (PG) and power transmission and distribution (PTD).Siemens is using latest system technologies and plant diagnostics, And also provides world class services for power plant and rotating machines like gas, generators, steam turbines and compressors.
With the help of latest laboratory diagnostic, imaging system and healthcare information technology, Siemens clinicians diagnose disease earlier. Siemens is one of the largest healthcare technology suppliers in the world.
In industry sector Siemens provide end to end products and system and solutions are provided for infrastructure installation, building automation and industrial. And this kind of solutions lid project management, commissioning, plant maintenance, installation, engineering and software.
PESTLE Analysis tools uses on SIEMENS INDIA
Pestle analysis gives brief understanding about external business environment. And it is a tool to understand the "Big Picture" of the Environment which you are operating. And gives idea about opportunities and threats. By using this tools companies are maximize their opportunities and minimize the threats.
- POLITICAL FACTOR: Political factor describes constancy and policies of government. It includes personal interest on politicians which creates political environment. For Example In India, Bangalore is known as IT city or in other words IT centre of India and it has happened because of political support.
- Today in the time of uncertainty and tumult Siemens stands out to be a fire of political strength.
- In 2002 when government forced extra duty on LDO it is a fuel using by power plant at that time Siemens was adversely affected.
- Also In the special projects of power sectors 4% CVD was imposed.
- Siemens prohibits directly or indirectly by manufacturing, developing and distributing the weapon under its export control policy.
- In the health care segment government force will benefit Siemens since it is well established.
- Siemens head quarters Germany was majorly affected because of slow global economy which resulted less investments. And in 2008 Gross domestic product was 1.3% .
- Siemens is having strong order backlog which softened the effect of global recession on company's revenue and profit. Siemens expects profit between 6.0 billion and 6.5 billion in fiscal year 2010.
- Due to recent economic woes Siemens cuts around 4% of their employees to achieve savings of 1.2 billion Euros.
- To gain investors confidence internal changes are expected. And also Siemens expects new orders of 15 billion Euros over 3 years.
- To find better jobs, better lifestyle and better education most of the people are moving in urban areas. And changes in urbanization exert big impact on companies this time.
- Indian customers are highly perspicacious, educated and well known about all products they buy.
- Customer inspired solution- To design and develop products.
Social corporate responsibility of Siemens is:
- Siemens is having national committee under world energy council.
- Siemens is member of association in innovations, Advance research and Entrepreneurship.
- Traditionally Siemens support various kind of humane projects and charity activities.
- To promote social activities throughout the world Siemens has installed "Caring hands" for many programs, initiatives and projects.
- To developing technology Siemens and other hi-tech and electronic companies are facing different kind of challenging business imperatives.
- In this global market Siemens have to develop products which are highly innovative and cost sensitive.
- In continuously changing technology company is continued to squeeze by product design complexities, regulatory requirements and price points.
- These presures threatern to help commoditization,profit margins and manufacturing process.
- Today Siemens is most future thinking company which has built global innovation networks which help them to improve their value chain, products and processes. And all these networks help organization to meet in following business imperatives.
- By maximizing globalization
- By compressing time-market
- By increasing output in innovations
- Opportunities and competition will always exist in this kind of Advance market.
- Siemens is known as green infrastructure giant
- Customers demand in energy are:
- Decrease energy consumption
- Decrease electrification cost
- Siemens always stay ahead by investing more and more money in environment portfolio.
- Siemens products make their customers to become more eco-friendly, energy efficient and competitive.
- Labor legislations and foreign trade regulations.
- By reducing green house gases Siemens power sector will bear burden
- By implementing 360 workforce management, Siemens has realized lots of returns on their investments.
- Siemens is member of united nation global compact.
SWOT ANALYSIS: The most important part of strategic planning process is internal and external environment. The external environmental factors will be classified as opportunities and threats. And internal environmental factors will be classified as strength and weakness. SWOT analysis is referred by analysing the strategic management. And it is a useful tool for decision making in all sort of situation in business and organization. It also measures business unit and ideas.
INTERNAL STRENGTH: Internal strength defines corporate capabilities, competencies and resources which helps companies to make strategy. It also defines comprehensive assessment of internal environments strength and weaknesses.
SIEMENS STENGHTS ARE :
- Siemens is more focused on their stratergies.
- Diversity-A most successful factor for Siemens
- Siemens is having very good brand image
- Siemens is having their own production process
- Always implement local strategy but think globally
- Wide range of products with high quality
- Siemens provide excellent goods and services and online services to their customers.
- Siemens is having certification of ISO(international Organization for Standardization)
INTERNAL WEAKNESS: Internal weakness diminishes company's competitiveness.
SIEMENS WEAKNESSES ARE:
- Siemens main weakness is low price for high quality products.
- Siemens is having very complicated organisational structure.
- Mixed culture
- Weak appraisal system for employees
- Less employee satisfaction with fewer promotions.
EXTERNAL OPPORTUNITIES: External opportunities are like benefits which will be achieved by pursuing available external opportunities and vision.
SIEMENS OPPORTUNITIES ARE:
- Having very strong position and growing opportunities in many countries.
- More and more overseas projects
- IT Development
- Market unification opening up
- Change in technology
EXTERNAL THREATS: External threats are define as Situation that may go wrong, dangers, Variations and other factors.
SIEMENS THREATS ARE:
- Slow global economy has created threats for many companies including Siemens.
- Same policies and promotions are adopted by competitors.
- Competitors are providing less product pricing
- Less market share
PORTERS 5 FORCES ANALYSIS: It is a powerful tool to understand that where power lies in business. And this tool gives understanding about strength of the company. And it also helps to avoid taking wrong steps in future. To stay ahead and successful in this competitive market Siemens use Porters 5 forces analysis against their competitors. Porters 5 forces analysis describes:
- Supplier Power
- Buyer Power
- Competitive Rivalry
- Threats of substitution
- Threats of New Entrants
- Supplier Power : Supplier power defines bargaining of power of the suppliers. It means how much it is easier for your suppliers to hike their prices. It is proved that in today's market it is very difficult for the companies to make profit because of recession. Siemens is having many competitors like Cisco, haier, hitachi, Larson and Tubro, Ericsson, Phillips, Samsung, Toshiba, Vestas Wind system etc. All of these major corporations are suffering because of "Recession". And because of this all the companies approach their suppliers to cut their prices and it is very difficult for the suppliers to sell their goods on very low price with less profit margin. And because of this most of the big companies prefer to buy goods from abroad at very low cost for e.g. China. From china they buy goods for very cheaper price and sold their products to the customers at reasonable price.
- Buyer power : Buyer power defines bargaining power of the customers. In today's business market people are become more intelligent and more concern about product price and quality. And they choose that kind of products which makes their life easier and use that product in daily life. Siemens understands their customers needs very well and always provide best price and quality to their customers. Siemens provides best consumer products like hearing instruments, home appliances and lighting. It is very important for the companies to understand customers demand and all the business environment is running or changing according to the customers demand.
- Competitive Rivalry: It defines bargaining power of competitors. It means that if you have many competitors which provide almost same quality and price as you offer then you must have to act powerfully in that situation but if you have good brand image and something unique compare to your competitors then you have enormous strength. Siemens always provides best price, quality and excellent services to their customers to achieve their success against all competitors.
- Threats of substitution: It happens when customers find different way of doing what you do. And this kind of things reduces your product demand. Because of this reason Siemens has started to invest more and more money in research and development to find more and more advance technology and uniqueness in their product.
- Threats of New Entrants: In all sectors of business environment new competitors are increasing rapidly and Some of them find success and some not. Siemens is big brand and having good capital to capture small market too. Siemens, Samsung, Toshiba, L & T and other big corporations have also covered small rural areas and sold their products at very comparative price. New entrants are having less scope to capture market against these big giants because of lack of capital and resources.
- I think Siemens have to work out on employee satisfaction and they have to increase by giving employees bonus and incentives.
- As Siemens is having very complicated organisational structure they have to improve co-ordination between upper level and lower level management.
- Siemens also have to provide good pay scale to their lower level employees as compare to their competitors.
- Siemens have to work on their polices and promotions because most of Siemens competitors have adopted almost same polices and promotions.
In this business environment Siemens strategy has proved and applied on practical life. That's why Siemens is successful to understand their customers' needs and by providing world class services they fulfil it.
- The Business Environment - Francis Cherunilam