Food and Beverage Service Analysis
Disclaimer: This work has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional academic writers. You can view samples of our professional work here.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UK Essays.
Published: Wed, 13 Sep 2017
Faculty of Business and Information Technology
Programme: MM/ PGDM
Lecturer Name: Rohit Pande
Paper Number and Name: Strategic Hospitality Management BUSX15
Assignment Title: Literature Review-
Official Due date:
Student(s) to complete:
Assignment Plagiarism Declaration
I/ we certify that this is my/ our own work and I/we have read and understood the Misconduct or Breach of Assessment Rules (Policy P7/10/8) that is found in the MM/ PGDM Programme Handbook.
I/ we understand that the submission of this form electronically is the equivalent of me/ us signing my/ our name, in pen, on a paper assignment cover sheet.
Student Name(s) and Id(s):1)Anandita Trivedi- 21602896
Marker to complete
Late Submission: Y / N (if yes, date submitted: _________)
Late penalty: 1 day = 10% off original mark
2 days = 20% off original mark
3 days = 30% off original mark
4 days or more = assignment marked 0%
Food and beverages service plays an important role in the hospitality industry. The purpose of this paper is to outline the main aspects of food and beverage services. F&B is the key
1.1 Importance of the study
In this article, it shows the importance of food and beverage service (F&B service) and the current challenges faced by the department in order to satisfy the customer as per their demand and satisfaction level. And it will majorly focus on the how F&B services deal with the challenges and provide solutions to improve the F&B service in various sectors like hotels, restaurants, Bars, takeaways etc.
1.2 Research Motivation
The key research motivation is to provide the precise solutions to the challenges faced by F&B service department which can impacts on hospitality business and the current trends within the hospitality sector.
1.2 Research Question
- What are the current challenges faced by F&B services?
- What are the solutions to the problem faced by the F&B services with respect to customer service?
The methodology used for the research for this study is secondary research. With regard to this, different journal articles and research papers were critically analysed and reviewed to gather information and to make comparative analysis out of research papers to view that F&B is an important integrated functioning system in hospitality sectors and hotel chains.
1.5 Structure of the report
This report mainly focuses on how F&B service is related to customer satisfaction. In the further part of the report, the importance, challenges, current trends and solution to overcome the challenges were discussed.
Commercial hospitality has its origin rooted back in Mesopotamia era, where hospitality is connected to providing accommodation, food and beverage (Bennett, 2011). It can be seen in the history of ancient Greece where travellers where welcomed with the highest level of hospitality, which included a room to sleep and a hearty meal (Bennett, 2011). Perhaps even today it can be seen that there are fewer numbers of hotels which lacks in smooth operations in F&B services. (Janta, 2012). Accorording to Briscoe&Tripp (2014) The food and beverage services is defined as the F & B service operations are the process of making, presenting and serving of food and beverages to the consumers at the F&B premises, which can be: Restaurants, Bars, Hotels, Airlines, Cruise Ships, Trains, takeaways. F&B service is also the responsibility of sustaining the best and the high quality of food cooked in kitchen and beverages made in the bar for the guests (). F&B operations in the hospitality sector focuses on immediate utilization of food and drinks and includes different types of restaurants (Cousins, Lillicrap & Weekes, 2014). Therefore, Service is the entire experience that an individual or guest gets from the staff who is fulfilling the needs and requirements during the stay in the F&B premises(Kandampully&Suhartanto,2000). F&B service is of many types such as: table service, self- service, assisted service and single point service.
F&B services is a vital part of everyday life of any sector of hospitality industry. It encourages assortment of food and beverage concepts and cuisines. F&B services plays a primary role in functions of hospitality. Therefore, it can mould itself as per the need of the business. From a customer’s point of view F&B services is an experience which starts, when a customer enters the premises follows it with meal/drink and it ends when the customer leaves the premises (Davis, Lockwood, Alcott & Pantelidis, 2012). The entire F&B service team are involved to perform extensive variety of tasks that incorporate service preparation, welcoming and acknowledging the guests, order taking, settlement of the bills and last but not the least executing the various tasks after the guests leaves the premises (Mok, Sparks & Kadampully)
F&B stores are segregated in to following categories: Restaurants: they are of many kinds such as All day dining restaurants, lounge, bars, room service, conference rooms and ball rooms. Therefore, in these restaurants the food and drinks is served and give various types of F&B services. There are many ways disclosed in scholarly journal articles which helps in maintain the service quality in hospitality industry.
Food and beverage often faces many challenges and issues some of them are listed below:
- At the time of low occupancy F&B service department majorly lack down in proving the good services.
- Visitors or tourists: if the tourists are more in the demand, the way F&B services can be affected. Comfort zone.
- People are becoming more health conscious and are opting for more healthy or organic food. Therefore, the F&B services needs to experiment as per the diversification in the choices made by their customers. (Rodgers, 2010).
- Due to the high demand of part-time workers in this sector, it is hard to find experienced and knowledgeable employees, who are aware of the etiquette and are of the right age for serving alcohol based beverages (Jin-zhao & Jing, 2009). F&B department should mainly focus on the providing quality service and in the quantity of PAX received.
- Taking care of customer satisfaction. In other words, keeping regular check on all kind of F&B operations to meet the guests needs and attain customer satisfaction.
- F&B services also deals with the costs related to the operations of the food production, beverage facility and many more other services and the handles the revenues (Lewis & McCann, 2004).
Solutions to overcome the challenges:
As above discussed the general challenges faced by the food and beverages service department. Now to overcome those challenges or to reduce the impact here are few solutions as follows:
- At every time whether the occupancy is low or high, the F&B services should remain same. To maintain the quality of the service, set of rules and regulations should be introduced, which will help the F&B service in providing best and high quality customer service at all time.
- Tourists plays a major role for hospitality industry. Therefore, they should be given all kinds of services and it should be
and are of the right age for serving alcohol based beverages. They should give proper hours like full timers then only they will get experienced staff
Food and beverage management for the hospitality, tourism and event industries
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below: