Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UK Essays.
Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is also known as “One Belt, One Road (OBOR)” which was driven by Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2013 in which more than 65 countries are participated to achieve and strengthen open world trade and economy. This massive project was introduced by him because at that time many nations was facing incredible encounter in achieving progress. Under this operation various nations such as Africa and Europe are connected with China through land and oceanic networks like constructing streets, seaports, railroads and building six passages to promote globalization and regional integration between them. It also acts as the wide-ranging collaboration platform for the development of the global economy.
This massive project of China mainly has five objectives; “Policy coordination; facilities connectivity; free trade; financial cooperation; and people-to-people bond.” (Liu, 2016).
There are various benefits to Canadian economy to participated in this huge arrangement such as transit facility, conversation system, improvement in energy sources, monetary administrations and faculty preparing. In this manner, it can profit by assuming a functioning job in the Belt and Road development. Canada has joined various financial societies which bounces great conditions for the nation to take an interest in the Belt and Road framework development.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Find out more
China also has various benefits of this project such as, associating framework with nations, promote easy exchange of wide variety of goods and services with less hurdles, expanding their market to those nations where is low-wage rates and enlarges their transportation system.
On the other side, both Canada and China have faced various challenges. Such as, for Canada, bureaucracy and small and medium scaled enterprises stress out with huge certification rules and regulations to enter into the market. There is also a risk of corruption arises due this massive project. As well as China also has major issues relating to project such as excess use of natural resources, debt sustainability, provide universal standards for credit issuing and dispute settlement, problem of deforestation and consider as an obsolete dealing model to resole conflicts between trading nations.
In conclusion, this massive arrangement and project has many advantages to all the participating nation along with some disadvantages. The general idea of this project to provide financial assistance to various nations along the belt and road to expand commerce. This project helps to connect various nations such Asia to Africa and Europe and promote wide range of exchanges of goods and services between them through land and oceanic ports. BRI makes the world as global economy to promote trade without any barriers and hurdles.
BRI (Belt and Road Initiative)
China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is also known as “One Belt, One Road (OBOR)” is a massive project with an importance on connecting Eurasian nations through a land-based routes as well as an oceanic routes. The ‘belt’ means the Silk Road Commercial Belt and covers the new expansion of railways and interstates. The ‘road’ means the plan to manufacture new ports along oceanic courses and the Oceanic Silk Road. (Gull, 2018)
Chinese President Xi Jinping driven this proposal in September 2013, when he stayed in Southeast Asia and Central Asia, he anticipated an activity of mutually making a Silk Road Economic Belt and an Oceanic Silk Road because at that time many nations was facing incredible encounter in achieving progress. The activity is formed to support the worldwide organized commerce routine and the open world economy, strengthen assistance among nations along the Belt and Road, and uphold normal enhancement and development. This is a massive operation and project in which more than 65 countries are participated to expand their trade and exchange of goods and services at global level. (Gull, 2018)
BRI (visions and actions): A general intention of BRI is for advancing financial alliance among nations along the Belt and Road, more than simply constructing streets, railroads and seaports. (Liu, 2016)
- BRI’s (core theme) “peace, cooperation, development and win-win.” (Liu, 2016)
- BRI’s five objectives of collaboration: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs scattered an activity plan (issued by the National Development and Reform Commission) that fleshed out clear objectives of the BRI in March 2015 (Chinapowerteam, 2017). These are; “Policy coordination; facilities connectivity; free trade; financial cooperation; and people-to-people bond.” (Liu, 2016)
- BRI’s three targets: – “Construct a collective interests between nations, destiny and responsibility, which features economic integration among countries and cultural comprehensiveness.” (Liu, 2016)
- BRI’s main purpose is to promote ‘Globalization’ by preserving the worldwide smoothed market in the soul of open provincial collaboration by development of monetary factors. Furthermore, deep coordination of business sectors, together making open, wide-ranging and familiar provincial monetary sharing systems, and looking for new models of participation and financial administration on global level. (Liu, 2016)
- Longitudinal outline of BRI: BRI is the open platform and there are no spatial limits to expand. At the sea level; BRI emphases on the jointly constructing smooth, protected and industrious transport paths linking real ocean ports along the oceanic silk boulevards. Over the land, it mainly focuses on to construct major six corridors and bridges to expand trade between nations. (Liu, 2016)
The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is a one of a kind sort of co-task system. This initiative is not restricted to one, however are available to every single intrigued nation, to be the part of the program from various regions along the way or from diverse parts of the world. All nations can contribute in the activity readily, adding to and benefitting from the advancement of the Belt and Road. (Gull, 2018) China has consented to collaboration arrangements on Belt and Road development with 86 nations and associations and set up 75 abroad monetary and exchange participation zones in more than 20 nations, making a lot of duty income and employments for significant nations. (Shaye, 2018)
Benefits of BRI to Canada:
Canada has various benefits from this massive construction project. These are:
- Canadian economy gets most of the profits from Chinese money related flows which is the main benefit for Canada stakeholders of BRI. Canada is a one of the protected places for the Chinese portfolio venture and a wellspring of both information and assets for direct financial specialists. Canadian organizations are procurement focuses for Chinese speculators and have a lot to add to China’s economy. (Ilan Alon, 2018)
- BRI also provides various opportunities such as in engineering, architectural and infrastructural industries for Canadian companies to expand their trade and business with china and other nations as it is a massive project of more than 65 countries participated and that will results in a strong condition of Canadian economy. (How to Benefit from China’s Belt & Road Initiative, 2017)
- Canadian organizations are also taking one more advantage from BRI project that is structure foundation and constructing buildings. Canadian specialists are the one of the best class workers around the world. So, China can import BRI-related items and specialists from Canada and as a result of this quality, Canada can earn more profits by the scale that China and its exchanging accomplices can bring to Canadian economy. (Ilan Alon, 2018)
- In 2017, the General Administration of Customs stated that there was a huge bilateral trade between these countries that reached over US $25 billion from Canada to China in exporting. That was results in an enormous benefit to Canadian economy and stakeholders. (Ilan Alon, 2018)
- Beyond the trading opportunities, BRI also provides better connectivity options for Canadian investors and traders to expand their business. (How to Benefit from China’s Belt & Road Initiative, 2017)
Benefits of BRI to China:
China has two types of benefits that is political and economic benefits from this massive project and its main objective is to promote globalization and smooth trade between various nations. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- One of the main economic benefit is that it helps in creating and associating framework with nations that will help in lessen transport times and expenses relating to trade. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- It also helps in setting up gentle basis with trading and exchange partner nations that will consider a more wide-ranging scope of products to be exchanged with less administrative obstacles and barriers. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- There are some of the potential advantages of BRI to china are less openly explained. One of them is that a large portion of China’s State-Owned Enterprises –, like, cement and steel development organizations have developed huge limit and growing or processing plants and hardworking specialists to serve as the one of the blasting local economy in china. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- One more benefit is that, China will correspondingly support and promote development in its lower-pay western regions by structuring and developing terrestrial monetary integration with Central Asian nations. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- The BRI also helps in attracting a vast portion towards China of the world trade economy. It helps in expanding the measure of exchange, capital investment and funding, and networks among China and other nations like Eurasia will concentrate on these nations gradually dependent and subject to the Chinese economy, that results in expanding China’s monetary influence over them. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- It also helps in spreads and expands China’s transportation network and system for various natural resources such as gas and oil that makes China further globalized economy and also upgrades China’s industrial sectors through innovative technology and vast shift. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
- It also makes China as one of the big energy trader all over the world. That becomes the main buyer and manufacturer of the energy resources that will rise China’s GDP as global economic power trader. (Chinapowerteam, 2017)
Possible challenges for Canada:
- There are various risks and challenges associated with BRI to Canada and one of the main challenges to the Canadian economy of one road and one belt is linked to ‘bureaucracy’. The problem occurs to do trade and business in china was due to lengthy and complicated procedures for certification. (Fleet, 2017)
- Other challenge that Canada faces relating to BRI is that Small and Medium scaled Enterprises were distressed by local guidelines and rules of doing business in china at the Chinese government level. It was hard and difficult to discover the right Chinese co-conspirator very frequently because of extreme challenge and competition in the market. (Fleet, 2017)
- One more risk that Canada faces is to the Canadian financial stakeholders and investors of taking and observing at the potential outcomes of shortening supply chains for their products is that it isn’t evident whether numerous undertakings will be finished because of corruption and violation of rules in the host states. (Fleet, 2017)
Possible challenges for China:
There are various challenges that China faces due to BRI. These are as follows:
- The one of the main risks of the Belt and Road Initiative is “debt sustainability” (Pitlo, 2018), which has both international and national impacts. Despite this China’s also focuses on forceful push to contribute abroad. Notwithstanding, while at the same time, stretching out credit to poor credit rating markets those having even not sufficient funds in their accounts and they comprises one section methodology, it could be a big risk and challenge for both China and other nations that are participating in this initiative. (Pitlo, 2018)
- The other challenge that China faces is that of discovering innovative and adequate measures to tackle with risks. This challenge arises due to excess usage of natural resources as a medium of exchange for instalment of credits loans to other nations. This became a major risk and issue that have creates problems universally. (Pitlo, 2018)
- The other challenge is the need to locate the best possible harmony for making or adjusting monetary and fiscal standards and a promise to presenting new standards. China’s acts as an ascent for settling problems and disputes relating to loans that arising in all over the world and makes universal loaning standards. While a few disturbances are required to refresh current loaning rules, a sudden take off from long-held models could dissolve fundamental protections against obligation of BRI that their nations have. This may cause risk and pose threat for the states which borrowed money and make improvements in the functioning of the markets of financing. (Pitlo, 2018)
- One of the main risk that china faces is risk of excess cutting of trees and disforestation because this project mainly includes six economic passages. To build or construct these corridors there is excess removal of trees required that cause harm to environment that becomes major issue for this project. (Elizabeth Losos, 2019)
- China may also consider as the target of the “obsolescing deal model” (Huang, 2019) which expresses that an outside speculator loses transmission power as it puts more importance in a host nations. (Huang, 2019)
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have the essay published on the UK Essays website then please: