Market Planning & Changing Market Demand
1 Executive Summery
Dialog GSM is a Leading telecommunication vendor in Sri Lanka Catering a customer base of 6 Million subscribers , with regard to the recent change in environment there has been a significance increase in demand for telecommunication need ,
Identifying environment change in time Dialog GSM wishes to have short term marketing plan & evaluation report to cater the current situation, The following report will initially address a 2 years short term marketing plan which initially highlights on a short term marketing plan based on the current environmental situation analysis, following marketing plan will identify the approaches strategies & recommendation to achieve the organizational goal
A critical evaluation report is also prepared to company the success of the marketing plan. Evaluation report will highlight on how Dialog GSM will adopt to the role of marketing and marketing planning in responding to a change in the external marketing environment
further evaluation report address on justifying the process of undertaking the marketing audit, and identifies the issues of information gathering and analysis associated in preparing the short tem marketing plan & how an appropriate strategy which can be developed to overcome the current situation , utilizing segmentation-targeting-positioning strategy & finally identify potential that may be encountered in implementing the marketing plan & present operational proposals for addressing the potential issues
2 Rational of Assignment
The rational of the assignment highlights significance increase in the level of demand for the Mobile telecommunication Sector in Sri Lanka, Since the Sri Lankan war has ended in the northern & eastern region of Sri Lanka in May 2009, The need for telecommunication need has increased targeting a additional customer base of 3.5 - 4.5 Million and above which could bring more revenue & market share to Dialog GSM (Sunday Observer, August 2009)
The emergence of wireless-enabled computing devices are empowered by ubiquitous, low-cost wireless data & mobile connections; In other words, we have a growing need for on-the-go communication supplemented by the rollout of 3G (third generation) cellular services and widespread Wi-Fi hotspots.
This is motivating telecommunication providers, expand the market share and in such small market the post war situation has lead to tremendous opportunity among telecommunication vendors
The Above diagram shows the opportunity in the market which is very much positive indicating the growth in telecommunication sector
The following report will highlight on a 2 years short term marketing plan on how Dialog GSM can cope up to the significance rising demand & since high competition is also expected to capture the same opportunity how Dialog GSM would have to plan in terms of Product positioning, segmentation & marketing strategy to overcome such competition
3 Situation Analysis
Current post war situation is created a tremendous opportunity to exploit new market, in analyzing the market environment; market economy is improving gradually as shown in the Macro & Micro analysis (see appendix, Internal Environmental Analysis, PESTLE Analysis & (Porter's five forces Analysis)
As Sri Lankan economy is moving towards a recovering phase the probability and chances of an individual owning a mobile connection is high , as per the SWOT analysis its identified in about 20 million population in Sri Lanka, so far 10 million connection being sold which indicates the potential of the growing market
Today all mobile providers have huge potential in exploiting the market, where fierce competition is looked forward. One of the South Asian mobile operator, Airtel and Mobitel have shown interest to open their local offices and base stations in the northern region after the post war situation
In terms of Sri Lankan mobile industry, end customers look forward for a low cost affordability package and when comparing different vendors value added features plays a vital role in decision making process which is identified in Macro Analysis. Innovative technologies help brand to lead the market and generate revenue, for example, the innovation and the launch of 3.5G services was firstly introduced by Dialog GSM and this has created a huge value for the brand and the mobile broadband technology in Sri Lanka.
According to the present market situation identified, Dialog GSM needs to act fast and need to be innovative to be a leader in Sri Lankan mobile telecommunication sector, the following Marketing plan will address how Dialog GSM should improve revenue growth while improving market share.
3.1 Key Opportunities & Threat Identified from current situation
According to the current market analysis, the key opportunities and threats found through the internal & external marketing audit done (see appendix, Internal Environmental Analysis, PESTLE Analysis )& Porter's Five forces Analysis), based on this information Dialog GSM could plan for a Synergistic plan to satisfy the increasing demand for Mobile telecommunication in Sri Lanka ,Based on this information Dialog GSM could plan for a Synergistic plan to satisfy the increasing demand for Mobile telecommunication in Sri Lanka
SWOT analysis is a tool that marketers use to assess an organization's strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats. Strength and weakness are internal factors that are directly controllable by marketers. Opportunities and threats are external factors that are uncontrollable (Pride et al, 2006).
Opportunity to increase additional customer base of 4.5 Million subscribers from the post-war region
Opportunity for major market development strategy
Be a firs telecommunication provider to establish a strong island wide network & distribution channel
Opportunity to cater more CSR projects for the post war region to build good personal relationship.
• Competitors also aiming the same post-war region to capture market share
• Environmental changes in the political, social and economical conditions and the laws and regulations (Eg: TRC-SL regulations) actions will have impact on moving further
4 Corporate Objective
Marketing objectives should possess certain characteristics (Pride et al, 2006):
* Firstly, a marketing objective should be expressed in clear, simple terms so that marketing personnel understand exactly what they must achieve.
* Secondly, it should written so that it can be measurable and
* Thirdly, it should specify a time frame to accomplish
The below from 2008 annual report explains the marketing objectives of Dialog GSM for the next 2 years.
(Dialog GSM Annual Report, June 2008)
There are a number of reasons why organizations undertake segmentation (Doyle, 1994):
* To meet consumer needs more precisely
* To Increase profits
* To gain segment leadership
* To retain customers
* To Focus marketing communication
Targeting is all about which market segment(s) a business decides to priorities for its sales and marketing effort (Dibb, Simkin, Pride Ferrel, 2001)
Targeting the right product to the right segment using the right marketing mix is important; Dialog GSM needs to implement differential targeting strategy for the segment of customers identified as above to cater the post war region, each product based segments have mentioned above has different characters from each other, identifying the correct audience and implementing the appropriate marketing mix strategy is important
Kotler (1998) defines positioning is a act of designing an offer so that it occupies a distinct and valued places in the mind of the target customer
Dialog GSM should be able to retain and position the brand a leader by providing the best quality of customer service and the up to date innovative technical infrastructure to cater its customer's base island wide, still Dialog GSM needs to maintain its customer service quality to be perceived among the current and potential customer to be a market leader
8 Dialog GSM Strategy Audit
8.1 Dialog GSM Value Chain Analysis
8.1.1 Support Activities
Dialog GSM success to become a market leader in a short time frame is its infrastructure which the organization has created to support the each element of the value chain
Human Resource Management
Dialog GSM has a dedicated human resource management team to fulfill the gap of the human resource needs & full fill the skill gaps of the staff to position them self as a market leader
In current scenario resource will be mostly need for new product development & customer care
Internal technology development is important to sustain the market position in terms of developing next generation of communication tools
Investment in research & development in technology will emphasis more towards the future growth
Supply chain management is important part to support the ongoing business model, the following systems in place is important for Dialog GSM to sustain market leadership in the Telco sector
* Procurement system
* Inventory System
8.1.2 Primary Activities
Inbound logistic is important for routine based operational activities, Proper co-ordination & management of logistics will help the staff and the functional departments to achieve the objectives
This will be the improvements inbound logistics from the suppliers
Out Bond Logistics
Out bound logistics will be better in terms of partnership with 3rd party vendors
Marketing & Sale
This would be the support of 4P's & communicational activities , Dialog GSM has a dedicated sales & marketing team to full fill this function within the organization , sales team is divided to target the B2B & B2C target customers , while marketing team full fills the marketing activities to achieve the marketing objectives
This would be one of the vital aspects of supporting the customers; Dialog GSM has initiated 24x7 customer hot line to support the customers, apart from this Dialog GSM has also created an online support system as well
(Dialog GSM Customer Service Standards, June 2009)
8.2 Competitive Analysis
Michel Porter (1985) defined a competitive advantage grid is based upon three generic strategies that enable an organization to closely identify the varies competitive position options open to them,
The strategies are categorized as:
* Cost leadership strategy
* Differentiation strategy
* Focus (or Segmentation) strategy
A focus (Segmentation) strategy is determined to be narrow in scope whilst cost leadership and differentiation are relatively broad in scope. The following diagram demonstrates the three strategies in this context.
As a market leader in a highly competitive market Dialog GSM focus to be a cost leader in terms of reducing operational cost to which could add value to develop new differential strategies to counter the current concentrated market , such as invest more money to
1. Research and development
2. Geographical expansion of the business to post war region
3. To open new outlets in newly identified market
Also Dialog GSM should have a differential strategy to highlight its unique competency it the mobile telecommunication market against the growing competitors
8.3 Product Portfolio Analysis
There are a number of portfolio models that are used to identify the current position of business units or products. This position will be the result of the organization's current resources and can be seen as a symptom of the competencies and assets of the organization. They reflect the organization's current performance and identify strengths on which the marketing strategy can be built, or weaknesses that the Strategy is required to overcome.
9 Marketing Strategy
Dialog GSM is looking to exploit the growing new and increasing mobile telephony in the post war region with a repositioned and re priced product using various Marketing mix strategy of Product reposition and promotional strategy
Customers and Corporate customers will be targeted will be targeted as with additional emphasis on new partnership which will differentiate Dialog GSM from its competitors
Customers will continue to receive customized support and personal packages, but the focus of the future business will move towards aggressively to newly identified segments and geographical markets
Gap analysis is a tool used by marketing managers to decide on strategies and tactics. This is done by asking two main questions, where are we now? And where do we want to be? The difference between the two is the GAP.
Source - www.marketingteacher.com
Improve existing operation
Since the gap shows of LKR 30 Million, it is important to look into strategies to close the gap, initially Dialog should emphasize on developing appropriate Marketing mix strategy to over come the revised forecast
Moving forward Dialog GSM look into key strategies for growth, new product development to close the overall gap
9.1 Marketing Strategy for Growth
Ansoff's Growth Matrix (1957) is a tool used to assist organization in the generation of strategy alternatives. It suggests that an organization will grow depending upon whether it markets new or existing products in new or existing market
Market Penetration -(High)
* Increase usage among existing subscribers
* Promote existing product to existing customers
* Competitors also currently following penetration strategy due to the market saturation
Product Development - (High)
* Increase usage among existing subscribers
* Innovation & development of new products and technology such as 3.5G , MMS , Mobile broad band which could bring more revenue
* Also improvise on value added service like news alerts ,via sums
* Level of investment will be high , its advisable
Market Development - (High)
* Expand Dialog GSM presence into new market to increase market share
* Promote existing product to new market
* Identify key segments in new market
· Appoint new resellers in the identified potential geographical region
* Selected market should be highly analyzed before entering , new markets structure , logistics availability , economic condition has to be analyzed well
Diversification - (Low)
* Build a new strategy to enter new market with new products for growth
* Focus new markets like neighbor country Maldives to ender with new products like corporate internet solution
* High risk and high investment needed to move into a new product and market
Recommendation - It's recommended that Dialog GSM should apply Product development & Market development as a strategy for growth & profitability while market penetration can be used to retain market share, Diversification strategy will be a high risk to enter without proper study of a new market and it requires huge investment to develop new products
10 Marketing Mix Strategy
* Since most of the post-war regional customers are” Tamil”, we need to do product customization in terms of their flexible language such as product broacher, customer support ,branch outlet branding
* Dialog GSM needs to position their value added services to retain and differentiate from competitors, Customer service will also be a vital value added product where a customer will be evaluating against the competitor service
* Formation of a product development team is important to produce new products for newly identified segments
* Since post war region is yet to be developed in a high scale, price should be at a affordable cost
* As long as new products like mobile broadband doesn't concur competition price skimming strategy could be applied
* Formation of new distribution channel is important , since the product demand has increased reforming a new full fletched distribution system is important
- Opening of new business outlets
- Partnership with retail outlets to provide services
- Appoint Regional distributors to stock and sell products of Dialog
- Reinforce relationship with channel partners
* Implementing a integrated communication mix is important for the success of Dialog GSM achieving its marketing objective
* Promotional activities at outlets such as merchandising
* Sales Promotion can be used in the penetration strategy , while Advertising of ATL & BTL can be used to create high awareness in the new market identified
* Direct Marketing can be identified to target new segment (Ex: Send a direct mailer to corporate executives on mobile broadband technology)
* Staff is the key strength of Dialog, Focusing on delivering high customer service is important
* Promoting a culture of service within the firm is important
* Dialog GSM Process system is important in delivering a quality service , systems like CRM is important in day to day customer transaction
* Customer service systems (CSS), SAP ERP are the back bone of IT process infrastructure within Dialog
* Physical evidence has to be given more priority , since Dialog GSM is planning to expand its presence in Sri Lanka , Branding of stores , Branch offices and retail stores
* Also Dialog GSM needs to ensure the image portrayed by the organization should in consistent for the new product development
Evaluation & control for a business plan is important to rectify & make corrective action, Dialog GSM could make use of Key performance indicators (KPI's) and evaluate the achievements against the KPI's set initially, this would give a clear view of the overall achievement the marketing plan
11.1 Implementation Project Plan
Identify key messages & Operational plan for promotion activities
Analyze and set up new branch office in newly identified market
Launch of new products (Mobile broadband)
Mass Advertising campaign to create awareness in the new market
Mass awareness for Corporate sector
New staff recruitment for Marketing implementation
Training for new & existing staff on the new marketing plan implementation
Implementation of Marketing Activities
Evaluation & Control
A budget is effectively a financial plan for action, for a identified period of time. It is essential that the budget to be allocated in line to the corporate & marketing objectives of the organization
According to Drummond, Ensor & Ashford in their book (Strategic marketing (2003), budgeting highlights 2 key points Which is that budgeting is about resource allocation and secondly budgeting is a political process, hence the need for negotiation and bargaining to secure the resources to achieve the proposed marketing plan
An appropriate budgeting using objective and task method is prepared to cater the need for the short term marketing plan (Refer appendix - Budgeting)
13 Evaluation & Control
13.1 Key Performer indicators for Dialog GSM Performance Evaluation
* Revenue through sales
* Number of Promotion which includes (Street promotion, outlet promotion, customer bonanza)
* Number of new outlets merchandised
* Numbers of new connections sold & incentives claimed
* Number of Public Relation Campaign
* Number of CSR Campaign
14 Recommendation & Conclusion
14.1 Recommendations for Improving the Planning Process and Development of Marketing Plans
* Analysis - Context of the 7-S Model -The McKinsey 7-S Framework can be useful to analyze the organization context and to highlight areas that are not in alignment within Dialog GSM, especially ones that historically it has overlooked.
* Planning -The Extended Marketing Mix - Alignment to the planning process by introducing the extended marketing mix when developing marketing strategy. Historically used in service organizations, application of the extended mix, or 7Ps, has now been recognized as having beneficial results for organizations of every kind. By introducing ‘People, ‘Physical Evidence' and ‘Process' into its strategic marketing planning process, Dialog GSM can introduce a framework for changing how soft issues are dealt with within the organization.
* Planning - Internal Marketing -
Dialog GSM should plan a program of internal marketing based on the soft 7-S components and formulated through the extended marketing mix. This will address the communication needs as highlighted in 3.5.
At Dialog GSM this could mean:
* People - customer focused training for all employees and not just those who speak to customers; introduce regular staff appraisals; etc
* Physical Evidence - makeover Reception area; plants/pictures in the staff room
* Process -Design and implement proper customer service procedures; set-up focus groups to enable and encourage employee feedback
· Planning and Implementation - A Holistic Approach
(Word count for Marketing Plan - 2,562)
15 Role of Marketing & marketing planning in responding to a change in the external environment
Dialog as a organization needs to understand that the marketing environment is dynamic which will constantly change and quick adaptation to such changes is important to succeed in business & position Dialog GSM as a leader in the market ,Here with I have highlighted role of marketing & planning process on how dialog GSM can respond to such market changes .
Marketing planning in responding to a change in the external environment
Marketing Planning process
In context of changing environment to Dialog GSM
Conduct a Marketing Audit to identify the opportunities & threat, identify a response profile which to response to
Current situation is an opportunity to enter new market which will help Dialog GSM to get more revenue & build the subscriber base , to cater such opportunity Dialog GSM needs to make a aggressive response profile how it will target the new market customers and what kin of strategies the could build towards the significance demand
Objectives are based on the assessment on the environment change , are they achievable to the given change
Based on the opportunities identified , Dialog GSM needs to have a set of SMART objectives to achieve the strategic goal to the identified environment change
Such objectives could be
* To increase of 3-4 Million potential subscribers
* Opening of new outlets
* Increase awareness for Dialog GSM products
Changing environment will influence the strategic options to take
Based on the objectives set , Dialog GSM needs to identify strategic options of achieving the corporate objective
Such strategy could be to
* Opening of new outlets in new market & shut down non profitable outlets
At this stage where Dialog GSM plans for action plan of achieving to the identified objective
Tactical & Implementation
Environment will impact on the way the marketing plan is put into practice
Dialog GSM needs to plan for an operational plan for the implementation progress , as environment changes are dynamic need for an contingency plan is also vital
Control & Evaluation
Progress review will also dictate the environment change
Evaluation of a marketing plan is important for Dialog GSM to evaluate the achievement against the objectives set initially ,
Evaluation will help to redefine future plans and give alternative corrections
McDonald & Drummond (2005-2008) also goes on to say that organization needs a strategic marketing plan in order to adapt to changing business environment. Organization must continue to adopt & develop if they to be successful in the market
Marketing plan should provide systematic framework with which to analyze the market place & supply a well defined way to perusing strategic goals, McDonald also goes onto says the marketing planning is necessary because of
* Increasing turbulence, competency, complexity & competitiveness
* Speed of technical changes
* Need to sustain competitive advantage
* Need for non marketing functions to get support
* Need for subordinates to get resources, gain commitment
Drummond summarizes for the reasons for planning as follows
* Adopting the change
* Resource allocation
16 Process of undertaking the marketing audit & identified issues of information gathering and analysis
Marketing auditis identified as an essential part of an efficient marketing planning process. It is a very important process that is not only carried out at the begging but also at regular intervals during the actual marketing planning process. Amarketing audithas a lot of influence upon the marketing planning process through the various external and internal factors.
(Failan Salem 2009) illustrated process undertaking a marketing audit is showed in the following diagram
Dialog GSM annually appoints a market research auditor from AC Neilson on once a year basis in order to conduct the Marketing Audit for the external & internal Markets of the telecommunication industry. Through the market research key opportunities & threats impacting on the Dialog GSM will be identified to make strategic actions
Marketing Audit will help Dialog GSM determine how well the marketing initiatives are working, as well as to identify the most urgent marketing challenges:
* From a historical perspective, what has and has not worked?
* From a current perspective, what is and is not going well?
* From a future perspective, what changes are needed so that your marketing and promotional efforts are going in the right
As a next step detailed information is gathered prior to analyzing the Micro & Macro level audit. During the marketing audit the auditor interviews & asks various questions from groups such as
* Dialog GSM Customers
* Dialog GSM Staff
* Other Stake holders
Key Questions are asked from the above groups by the auditor in the following fields.
* Accomplishments: What have Dialog GSM done well in the past?
* Disappointments: What did not happen as planned?
* Critical Actions: To improve results what needs to be done the same/differently next year?
For each question above, consider the following:
* What changes are happening in the environment which could have an impact on the Sales?
* How does Dialog Marketing performance compare to competitors?
* What kind of products & featues customers wants that will help differentiate our company from others?
* Who are Dialog GSM major competitors in the market & what are their strengths and weaknesses?
* What are the changes happening from a variety of perspectives, such as Politics, Socio-cultural, demographics, technology?
5. Marketing systems
* Are we achieving short- and long- marketing objectives?
* What training or support is needed to Dialog staff?
* Does everyone understand the marketing goals and various activities within the organization?
* What changes should be made to improve the results from our marketing and/or PR agencies?
6. Review of marketing activities
* What are our main products and how well is marketing supporting them?
* What are our main marketing activities?
* How effective are we in implementing our marketing activities?
* Compared to competitors, how are our prices?
* How well are we supporting our distributors?
* Distributer's commitment towards Dialog GSM?
* How well are marketing and sales aligned on key initiatives?
* What can be done so that marketing can best support the sales organization
* Does advertising support the marketing objective of the brand?
* Are key messages getting across to the target audience?
* Are the themes and visuals used effectively understood by customers & potential customers?
* Is our PR program effective?
* How well are Dialog GSM PR initiatives helping our Marketing objective?
* Are our promotions well conceived, well implemented and effective?
* Are we responding to our customers' needs in a language they understand?
* Does our website also reflect the branding of the company and products?
* What key initiatives are needed to develop online business?
The information collected by interviews & questions asked from various segments is then analyzed for PESTEL analysis, Porter's 5 Forces analysis , SWOT Analysis & It is also important that AC Neilson collects data from internal sources of the company to make more realistic reports to the management. Final report will be submitted to Dialog GSM Management based on the final outcome of the current situation and how Dialog GSM
When looking at the marketing audit process it is also important to focus on the key issues & Problems in information gathering that the company might face with regard to the marketing audit on
* Current Market
* Market Position
* Brand Strength etc…
The marketing audit is a fundamental part of the marketing planning process. It is conducted not only at the initial stage of the process, but also at a series of points during the implementation of the plan. The marketing audit considers both internal and external influences on marketing planning, as well as a review of the plan itself.
There are a number of tools and audits that can be used, for example SWOT analysis or the internal environment, as well as the external environment. Other examples include PESTEL and Five forces Analysis, which focus solely on the external environment.
In many ways the marketing audit clarifies opportunities and threats, and allows the marketing manager to make alterations to the plan if necessary.
This lesson considers the basics of the marketing audit, and introduces a marketing audit checklist. The checklist is designed to answer the question, what is the current marketing situation? Let's consider the marketing audit under three key headings:
* The Internal Marketing Environment.
* The External Marketing Environment.
* A Review of Our Current Marketing Plan.
17 Development of appropriate strategy for the current situation, utilizing the Segmentation-targeting-positioning strategy
Dialog GSM needs to focus on segmentation, targeting &positioning (STP) Strategy to achieve the strategic objectives set earlier, Dialog GSM needs to identify what would be the key & profitable segments which will cater the significance increasing demand
When it comes to marketing strategy Dialog GSM needs to considers the 4P's and may be the extended 3P's for the marketing services
The basic step to asses how and appropriate strategy is developed utilizing the for the current situation faced by Dialog GSM utilizing the STP frame work follows
6.Develop Marketing Mix for each segment
5.Develop Positioning for each target segment
4.Select Target Segments
3.Develop measures of segment attractiveness
2. Develop profiles of resulting segments
1. Identify the bases for segmenting the market
The post war region customers are in need for a mobile telecommunication solution; hence it is not advisable to target the entire segment for the identified post war region
Following is the profitable segment to target
* Budget Customers (Prepaid Connection)
* Mobile Broad Band
* Controlled Usage
By the identified key segments it enables Dialog GSM to understand the different needs of the target customers; segmentation also helps to generate accurate predictions of likely responses from each segment of the target consumer, this in return will help the Dialog GSM to develop promotional strategies that will most suit for the segments identified based on that Dialog GSM can go on to develop strategies for Product, Price, Promotion & Place as well
Second phase of the of the strategy development will be the targeting of the identified segment, Dialog GSM needs to analyze which segments it is profitable to target in the post war region ,
18 Potential issues which may rise in the implementation stage & operational proposals to over come issues identified
18.1 Barriers for Implementation
· Power & Politics -
Dialog GSM needs to identify the internal structure of Dialog GSM across all functional departments and there commitment towards the implementation program , identifying the hierarchy of the organization and educating them on the marketing planning process on the increase of demand is important to get their commitment to move forward in achieving the strategic goals
· Operational Culture -
This will be a barrier if marketing aspect of Dialog GSM business line is not addressed/implemented across the entire operational department which consist different operational cultures, actions need to be planned to overcome this situation where it will enable different cultures within the organization to work together in achieving the common goal
· Skill Gap -
Identifying the skill gap for the implantation of the marketing plan is very vital for Dialog GSM; lack of skill audit might not be able to achieve the organizational objective, Dialog GSM needs to conduct periodic skill audit and plan for needed training for staff to achievement of objective and sustain market leadership
· Analysis not action -
Getting frozen in research mode is such a common problem that many organizations have (marketing guru's have given it a name - analysis to paralysis). The idea is that you get just paralyzed with thinking and never act, and without action, Dialog GSM needs to identify that there is limited time frame to achieve the organizational objective. Now that you have your plan, go out and make it real. There is no use spending months in analysis paralysis trying to write a perfect plan. Rather, have a bias towards action which will harm the overall aspect of the marketing plan
· Resource issue -
Understanding the current state of the organizational resources is important to implement the marketing plan effectively (Example - Human recourse, Finance resources, and Logistics resource), updating the resource issue to management is important to get their help & support on time to overcome such issues
Dialog GSM needs to plan the implementation progress of the task identified to cater the significant increase in the demand for telecommunication, implementing stages will have many barriers which the project management team has to identify to full fill the gaps such barriers which could be (suggested by McDonald - 2005) analyzed in a scale of -5 to +5 scale on how it will have a impact on Dialog GSM implantation progress
Scale of -1-10
1. Weak support from chief executive & top management
2. Lack of planning for planning
3. Lack of line management support
4. Confusion over planning terms (Objective, Strategy, Tactics)
5. Numbers in plan for written objective
6. Too much detail in too far ahead
7. Once a year ritual
8. Separation of operational planning from strategic planning
9. Delegation for a planning
10. Failure to integrate the marketing plan to the total integration system
18.2 Risk Assessment
The identification of the risk involves an overview of the project to establish what could go wrong and the consequences
* What are the sources of risk?
* What is the like hood of the risk presenting itself?
* To what extend the risk can be controlled?
* To what extent can those consequences be controlled?
Source - Adopted from marketing management in Practice - BPP Text Book 2005 (Page - 176)
18.3 Operational proposal over come Barriers
By constantly evaluating the implementation process and have updated feedback system in place will help the implementation team to understand & over come the barriers identified above
Such activities which Dialog GSM could plan is
* Appoint a Project management team which consist of a Project Manager who will look after the overall project management & 5 member team of project executives to co-ordinate with the relevant marketing team to implement the Action plan
* Weekly review meeting on the implementation progress with key staff members
* Human resources & skills audit for the completion of each task
* Implement a project management system to overcome time frame barriers
* Internal marketing to update other functional department on Dialog GSM new marketing plan for the post war region
* Plan for a contingency plan for each implementation task
(Word Count for Evaluation Report - 2497)
19.1 Appendix - Student Assessment Confirmation
I confirm that in forwarding this assessment for marking, I understand and have applied the CIM policies relating to the word count, plagiarism & collusion for all tasks this assignment/Project is a result of my own independent work/investigation except where otherwise stated. Other sources are acknowledged in the body of the text and/or accepted in substance for any other award and is not concurrently submitted in candidature for any other award
20 Organization Background
Dialog GSM Telekom is one of the largest and fastest growing mobile telecommunications networks in Sri Lanka and it is listed in the Colombo Stock Exchange. Its market capitalization accounts for (USD 433.6 Million as at 31st December 2008) 10% of the Colombo stock exchange in Sri Lanka
Dialog GSM Telekom PLC is a subsidiary of “Axiata Group Berhad” .Dialog GSM has leaded the telecommunication sector in Sri Lanka since the late 1990's, Dialog GSM has managed to take position is mobility network equally to the well developed countries in the world. Dialog GSM operates 3G and 3.5G mobile services and supporting the very latest in multimedia and mobile broadband services as well as international roaming across over 150 countries. Dialog GSM accounts for more than 50% of Sri Lanka's mobile subscribers which is around 6 Million of customers (Dialog GSM Telekom, August 2009)
Additionally to its core business of mobile telephony, the Company operates a wide portfolio of international telecommunication services such as international voice, International roaming & internet services, based on cutting edge International Gateway Infrastructure. Dialog GSM Global, the international arm of Dialog GSM Telekom, provides state-of-the-art gateway facilities through key alliance with "Tier-1" international carriers such as Vodafone, Hutch, and Tata Telecom
Corporate Values of Dialog GSM would be
* Total commitment to Dialog GSM stake holders
* Dynamic management leadership
* High Commitment towards teamwork
* Professionalism and accountability to stake holders
20.1 Marketing Environmental Audit
20.1.1 Appendix - A (Internal Environmental Analysis)
Here with we have analyzed the internal environmental audit using Mc Kinsey's 7'S frame work
Mc Kinsey 7s frame work is used in a wide variety of situations where an alignment perspective is useful, for example to help Dialog GSM
* Improve the performance of a company.
* Examine the likely effects of future changes within a company.
* Align departments and processes during a merger or acquisition.
* Determine how best to implement a proposed strategy.
Source - Mindtools.com
Dialog GSM has well planned is strategy to position them self as market leader in Sri Lanka, quick geographic expansion, dedicated R&D team towards delivering new technologies and specific key alliance have been key strategies of Dialog GSM
Dialog GSM has been successful in terms of focusing the entire organization towards a single vision by incorporating all individuals goals and objective together , Also Dialog emphasis more on shared value within the organizational culture,
The core values are
* Customer delight - A commitment to exceed customer expectation
* Leadership by example - Commitment towards setting standers in business and transaction & be an example for the industry and teams
* Pursuit of Excellence - A commitment to strive relentlessly, to constantly improve ourselves, our teams, our services and products so as to become the best
Management style of Dialog GSM always depends on targets & objectives. Organizational activities are monitored on strict deadlines while organizational performance, quality of service, progress is monitored constantly at all functional levels within the organization
Staff incentive & staff benefit scheme are implemented to motivate & produce high performance based staff environment for better achievement
Dialog GSM also emphasis on recreational activities such as Office trips, get-together, sports day…etc to take staff some time out from the busy working schedules & a Casual wear for work on Fridays
Dialog GSM currently employs staff workforce of 4000 who is considered important to the Dialog GSM organization's growth and success. Annual human resource planning and staff recruitment is carried out in parallel to the organizational business plan. New staffs are recruited requirements of the business plans applicable & respective needs of functional departments within the organization. Ten percent (10%) of the total HR cost is allocated to staff training & development. The training needs for staff and teams are identified from the competency requirements arising from the employee's skills gap, annual performance review/quarterly appraisals
Dialog GSM team consists of number of individuals with different distinctive capabilities and competences from top to bottom. Dialog GSM is proud to be served by a talented team of high caliber individual in the Sri Lankan Industry with lot of talent and exposures which will help achieve the organizational goals
Dialog GSM has implemented several systems to execute their business & operational strategies successfully. Example;
* SAP ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) - SAP ERP application integrates all the inter functionalities within the organization and manages the work flow process
* Subscriber Billing system - Currently customer billing system is deployed towards updating customer on their bill statement
* Customer Support System - CSS is used to rectify and response in time to the customers concern , the investment of such system was crucial for Dialog GSM to deliver a timely based customer services
* Dialog Intranet - Web based intranet is developed for organization news update, document collaboration and other HR aspects integrated to the Intranet
* Dialog GSM business and operations are managed under the supervision of the executive director. The company has adopted a free form organization devoid of hierarchies. Everyone is known as associates irrespective of his position in the company, this has made flexibility for every one to have equal chance among every staff to grow with the organization
- Failan, S, Role of Marketing planning : Week 6 lecture notes, The knowledge Factory , Colombo, viewed 13th October 2009
- Failan, S, Process undertaking a marketing audit: Week 8 lecture notes, The knowledge Factory ,Colombo, viewed 31st October 2009
21.3 Internet & E- Journals
- Telecommunication regulation in Sri Lanka - www.trc.lk
(Accessed on 20th September 2009)
- Dialog competitive advantage - www.lbo.lk
- (Accessed on 22nd September 2009)
- Dialog Annual Report - http://www.dialog.lk/about/investors/financials/annual-reports/
(Accessed on 22nd September 2009)
- Dialog Organization background - http://www.dialog.lk/about/investors/corporate-profile/group-overview/
(Accessed on September 25th)
- Dialog GSM Customer Service Standards - http://www.dialog.lk/support/mobile/service-standards/customer-charter/ (Accessed on 5th September 2009)
- Porter's Competitive Strategy - www.tutor2u.net
(Accessed on 5th October 2009)