Table of Contents
Pro’s and Con’s………………………………………….
Integrating BIM into different contracts………………………….
Charted Institute of Building (CIOB):…………………………
Contract administration is the process of administering the legal and contractual relationships that a business forms with the employees. It is one of the most important job related to construction project and also includes several tasks. The proper contract administration includes developing of proper and accurate bid and also the contract documents, complying with the documents and the specification maintaining the records, promoting good public relation and also setting and maintaining high professional standard. It did admit that some required investment is required in protocols and also schedule to explain the BIM’s specific roles, the working and the outputs of the design.
BIM which means Building Information Modelling
is actually a digital form of construction
and the outcomes of the project and the
given operations. BIM is a strategic enabler
improving decision making. It applies to new
build projects and crucially BIM supports the
renovation, refurbishment and maintenance
of the built environment and the largest share
of the sector. The question explored in this research which says, “What is this change really about?” and “Who does it affect?”. Building information modelling is changing the way of constructing the projects. In order to achieve significant improvements in building efficiency, the emerging practises requires new mind sets and also technological orders. As BIM is a digital form of construction, universities must focus on the strategies of using BIM as an innovative technology to allow students to learn and apply it for new skills and prepare them for their future activity in the whole competitive world.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Essay Writing Service
BIM is a process for creating new and different corrections or ideas and managing all the information particularly on a project but before, during and after construction. Using BIM software communication and collaboration are equally important. BIM is as much about process as it is about the technology and writing on it. The guidance for the professional indemnity state that BIM is a profitable and good thing and also refers to the Construction Industry Council (CIC) BIM protocol and suggests that it ought to be used not to be kept. It is a contract document which deals with the BIM issues and places mandatory to both the employer and the supplier. The main three key issues that the CIC BIM Protocol deals with are as follows:
- Model Ownership
- Intellectual property
- Insurance Liabilities.
The Government’s Building Information Modelling(BIM) which provides an opportunity for the industry to work in collaboration and in integrated way to achieve a built asset.
Building Information Modelling is a directorial technique
for making people convince also for planning and also for
designing various structures of any size and problems and issues.
As we decide BIM as a system which is right for us or not and how
BIM and the general construction work together, we keep in mind
the following pros and cons of Building Information Modelling.
- For better Planning and Designing:
Making use of BIM, we can visualize a whole and a complete building and all its components including the system before the first before the first spade full of gross and dirt is moved on the site. This information allows better planning and designing of the project which takes the good advantage of the left and available space and other resources.
- Fewer Reworks:
When working on project, it’s hard to predict a scenario where change and alterations don’t suffocate the process by enabling commentary on the digital design. Bim allows to see the potential problems we may find in the construction site and place them together in CAD from the start point which helps in the improvement of communication and allows all the partners to share all their thoughts. This doesn’t mean that there won’t be any problem but what does it mean is that we will give opportunity to get out of any kind of issues.
- Savings on materials:
Before the construction begins the BIM system provide detailed information on needs for the project. Computerized counting of different components alone has been a significant labour and a huge money saver.
- Improve Collaboration:
We have been able to predict costs and times of tasks in the past but BIM allows to do all this with more accuracy than before. Which means we are able to predict the cost and how much we can save on it. overall better predictions mean for a smoother process. This allows design whole building at a stage when they are far less expensive to analyse rather that the traditional approach of optimizing individual components.
- Contradictory with partners:
BIM is no doubt a useful technique which makes work more relevant and easy but yet BIM is not universally used among construction professionals. There is always a possibility that one of your partners or subcontractors may not use BIM because of which even we may not be able to use our model. It is very important to know how to use BIM for the partners so that coordination work well and that can be beneficial for the stakeholders.
- Lack of experts:
The originality of BIM means that there are only few members of experts working in the field. For this software it may require an additional investment in the education and the training matter. In the industry it is necessary for the stakeholders to stay informed about new technologies and how will it affect all the phases of the process.
- BIM problems faced during implementation:
Even though BIM is being widely accepted technology in the building construction it is seen that many small firms are reluctant to follow as they follow the thinking that it is only useful for large scaled construction. Lack of miss communication and miss information about BIM is the huge problems which BIM is facing.
- High Cost of BIM implementation:
The huge difficulty that any business organisation can arise is the implementation of high cost. The initial cost doesn’t matter too much instead the other expenses matter. The implementation is not just completed with upgrading of technologies or software. But all the elements of business operation should be smooth and non-segregated into one single system.
The Joint Contract Tribunal (JCT), New Engineering Contract (NEC3), also Constructing Excellence and Association of Consultant Architects (ACA) and Project Partnering Contracts (PPC) 2000, together with the three appropriate models for allowing early contractor involvement and also for the collaborative process. Those three models which included, cost lead procurement, integrated project insurance and two stage open book.
The Government has produced guidance documents of construction procurement, basically based on the feedback and proof on use of on trial projects. It is suggested that just mentioning BIM in a contract is not the most effective way evaluating a contracts suitability for a BIM project. Rather consideration should be given to how the contract deals with key issues that are affected by BIM, such as mutual agreement of intellectual property rights and clash detection.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) requires total collaboration, subcontractors and consultant appointments that cover the appointments of the entire team not only for a particular contractor. The report highlights the JCT 2011, NEC3, PPC 2000 and CIOB as standard forms of contracts that cover the appointment of the whole team as outlined below.
The JCT contract makes reference to
BIM, and includes amendments to reflect
BIM adoption. The main contracts of JCT
is covered by supplement and the
guidance of including the BIM protocol
to the requirements of employers or the
other contract documents are given by
“How to use BIM with NEC3 contracts”
is published by NEC3. This document suggested
that BIM have raised issues of rights and
liabilities of different parties which are
involved and those related liabilities are
different from the contract which do not
use a BIM process. It gives specific
guidance on using that CIC protocol within
a NEC3 contract and also incorporating
It even suggests the add on clauses that should be donated when using the process of BIM which should be comprise as the conditions of the contract.
The Ministry of Justice supports the BIM as the
contract which was chosen by PPC 2000. BIM
enabled Cookham Wood Trial project, in the
combination with two stage Open Book
Procurement model. The PPC 2000 make
a specific reference to BIM by setting out
qualified clauses that are applicable to BIM.
The CIOB is form of contract that provides for BIM clauses within its extensions and provisions. The industry working group sets up to support and help the fair objectives of the construction strategy. The adoption of BIM level2 have provided a suite of project document that have been used as an apartment and can relate closely to one another.
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.View our services
The future of the design and construction industry lies in the use of technology and BIM is expected to shape this future effectively. The introduction of BIM into design and construction practice has brought along new duties and responsibilities for the manager. Despite the fact that BIM is becoming more popular is the knowledge of manager body based on the traditional methods. Construction manager must be familiar with the tools that helps the construction manager to estimate the cost, set up a project work schedule, controlling the cost, safety improvisation where the architects uses BIM to design a project. In particular, the contexts of project administration and management are very important rather than being deep to the detail technical disciplines. Recently decided cases have proved that liabilities are discovered to fragmented causes. It is a considerable discouragement for clients if model date cannot be forced in the project consideration in managing frameworks. It is predictable that this framework will ensure consistency, avoid confusion and open encouragement and collaborative working.
- Aconex.com. (2018). What is BIM? | Aconex. [online] Available at: https://www.aconex.com/what-is-BIM [Accessed 23 Oct. 2018].
- Viewpoint Surveyor. (2016). An Introduction to BIM and Contracts. [online] Available at: https://blog.viewpoint.com/an-introduction-to-bim-and-contracts/ [Accessed 23 Oct. 2018].
- Ipwea.org. (2015). BIM: A contractual approach – Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia. [online] Available at: https://www.ipwea.org/blogs/intouch/2015/12/14/what-is-bim-and-how-is-it-incorporated-into-contracts [Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
- Eubim.eu. (2018). [online] Available at: http://www.eubim.eu/downloads/EU_BIM_Task_Group_Handbook_FINAL.PDF [Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
- Olatunji, O. (2014). Views on building information modelling, procurement and contract management. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Management, Procurement and Law, 167(3), pp.117-126.
- Constructionmonitor.com. (2018). Pros & Cons of Using a BIM Model for your Next Project – Construction Monitor. [online] Available at: https://www.constructionmonitor.com/blog/2015/12/03/pros-cons-of-using-a-bim-model-for-your-next-project/ [Accessed 25 Oct. 2018].
- Cms.ashrae.biz. (2009). [online] Available at: http://cms.ashrae.biz/bim/pdf/BIMGuide_Rev_110309.pdf [Accessed 26 Oct. 2018].
- Redshift EN. (2018). Top 11 Benefits of BIM (Building Information Modeling) [Updated]. [online] Available at: https://www.autodesk.com/redshift/building-information-modeling-top-11-benefits-of-bim/ [Accessed 26 Oct. 2018].
- Revit Modelling India. (2015). 5 worst problems faced during BIM implementation. [online] Available at: http://www.revitmodelingindia.com/latest-blog/the-5-worst-problems-faced-during-bim-implementation/ [Accessed 26 Oct. 2018].
- Cdbb.cam.ac.uk. (2018). Building Information Modelling — Centre for Digital Built Britain. [online] Available at: https://www.cdbb.cam.ac.uk/BIMLevels [Accessed 27 Oct. 2018].
- GOV.UK. (2015). Government construction. [online] Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/government-construction [Accessed 28 Oct. 2018].
- Kcl.ac.uk. (2016). [online] Available at: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/law/research/centres/construction/assets/bim-research-report-1-jul-2016.pdf [Accessed 28 Oct. 2018].
- Corporate.jctltd.co.uk. (2018). Public Sector – The Joint Contracts Tribunal. [online] Available at: https://corporate.jctltd.co.uk/initiatives/public-sector/ [Accessed 28 Oct. 2018].
- CIOB. (2013). Contract for Complex Projects. [online] Available at: https://www.ciob.org/insight/contract-complex-projects [Accessed 29 Oct. 2018].
- App.croneri.co.uk. (2016). Integrating BIM into contracts | Croner-i. [online] Available at: https://app.croneri.co.uk/feature-articles/integrating-bim-contracts [Accessed 26 Oct. 2018].
- Hafsi, l. (2017). [online] Pmworldjournal.net. Available at: https://pmworldjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/pmwj65-Dec2017-Hafsi-bim-impact-on-contracts-student-paper.pdf [Accessed 29 Oct. 2018].
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: