Critically assess the FIVE (5) levels of managerial communications.
(2 marks each, a total of 10 marks)
- Intrapersonal Communication – is the communication process that happens internally. It is also a communicator‘s internal use of language or thought and the basic level of communication. Intrapersonal Communication is like a talking to oneself or a self talk to explain something. Intrapersonal communication is very useful to our daily living it is like having a conversation within oneself to clarify ideas or analyzing a situation. It is also used to have a self awareness and reflection on something. To know yourself on how you deal with different situations especially in work places is boost by a self confidence. Intrapersonal communication helps builds self esteem because you are making aware of yourself by letting the inner you what you are capable of doing.
- Interpersonal Communication- is a level of a communication between a two individuals with a use of different mode of interaction. This kind of communication is being utilized when an individual wants to inform or to transmit a message to an individual. It is also a exchange of ideas and information whether via face to face interaction or thru mobile communication. Interpersonal communication is very important to any business or career success. If a person is applying for a job a good interpersonal communication with the interviewer is very important to win the job the person is applying for. Even in the business settings interpersonal communication is essential especially to those who are in marketing department. This level of communication builds rapport and it is necessary to have a good conversation to the other person. The message must be clear and understandable to the receiver so a good feedback can be received.
- Group Communication- refers to the interface between members of a small group of individuals or a department. It applies to 3 or more member of a team, group or even a department. It may apply a verbal or non verbal communication for a common function.
It is structured and initiate group members a fair opportunity to convey opinions and suggest ideas is significantly more dynamic advantage. The message is shared to a several member of a group in one time so it thus saves time and the effectiveness is highly advantage because 3 or more persons are sharing ideas and concepts. A department meeting is also a group communication where as department members are setting a time, minutes and targets to be proposed in the meeting to attain the common goal.
- Organizational-refers to the communication within the whole organization in which all stakeholders are part of the interaction. From employees, direct supervisors to the top managers. There are to subtypes of Organizational Communication the first on is Intra-organization and Inter Organization. Intra- organization is the interaction within the single organization which the communication done internally. While the inter organization is the interface between two or more organization set up for a common goal. The channels used in this types of communications are it can be thru official letters, bills, proposals and the most effective is the minutes of meetings. The challenge with the inter organizational communication is the difference of the company culture, management culture and language barrier. The issue that may arise in intra- organization is lesser because the control of the organization is in the internal management. But the process is the same. Agendas can be communicated thru official letters, memos, notice boards and meetings.
- Mass Communication refers to the passage of the information or messages to a collection of group people or a large scale of audiences which relayed by a single communicator at the same time. The message or information is transmitted quickly because of different mediums or channels that can be used. The information are being transmitted through the use of televisions, radios, social medias like facebook , news papers or even books. The function of Mass Communication in the society can be cultural celebrations, religious gatherings, festivities, health surveillance, weather update, or warn people of certain threats and even entertainment. The Mass communication is very influential because of it is easily accessible and the audiences are in large groups of people. The feedback in this communication is minimal because it is only use to provide certain information and the mode of transmitting the message is one way.
Question 2 (LO1a)
Provide TWO (2) recommendations for improving the communication process in the given case study above. (5 marks each, a total of 10 marks)
In Jenny’s case there was also a failure from her direct or immediate supervisor because for three months the supply has not been deliver. There was no communication between Jenny and her direct Manager or supervisor. Jenny’s supervisor should look for invoice slips, receipts or any evidence that the supply has been ordered or just waiting for the delivery. The interpersonal communication between the two was not established. To improve the communication between Jenny and her supervisor there must be face to face meetings to identify what is the issue or to just follow up the supplies if it is ready for the delivery or if there is an issue. The advantage of the face to face meeting is coordination and it will ensure the smoothness of the operation and it will prevent the issue that was happened with Jenny and the supplier. Jenny’s must have a memo or notice board for her as well to prevent forgetting the important daily routine or she should have done prioritizing her work and schedules. The speaker must speak clearly and precisely so the receiver will understand a
Question 3 (LO1b)
Critically evaluate TWO (2) types of managerial communication used in the given case study.
(5 marks each, a total of 10 marks)
In this case there is a verbal communications between nursing staffs and other hospital staff and computer aided communication. However the results of the communication did not end well. Verbal communication is one of the simplest ways of communicating at the workplace. And the information sent orally through words and can be emphasize the feelings with body language or hand gestures. Verbal communication can be done one by one interaction or can be done in group meetings. This is also a two way communication the message is relayed by a sender to a recipient, and the recipient can express his thought through feedback. Managers can communicate to the staffs through face to face interaction, emails, and phone calls and also via internal memos. Effective verbal communication prevents internal issues and it can increase productivity to the members. Computer aided communication like sending a message through emails is also a reliable medium of communication managers can use. Sending emails to the employees saves time and cost but effective. In this channel the message can be send to a group of people that requires the information. This is effective way in coordinating work and schedules unlike in verbal interaction the receiver might forget. While in emails it can be saved and the receiver can read again. The disadvantage of this type of communication is that cannot be use in urgent situation rather than face to face interaction. Urgent matter sent through emails can sometime neglect and the receiver needs a electronic gadget to view the message and access to a internet. If the receiver does not have access to internet the message cannot be receive.
Question 4 (LO1b)
Discuss TWO (2) recommendations for improving the communication process in the above given case study. (5 marks each, a total of 10 marks)
There are failures in communication in this case and the control of the staffs was not handled effectively because there is a conflict of interest and unfair treatment between staffs. The relationship between the members of the organization causes the failure of coordination. To improve communication process the charge nurse should have communicated first with other counterpart if there will be a conflict in the work schedule. The supervisor of the group should have initiated a meeting within the group to analyze the situation. The coordination was poor and there was no information sent to other members of the group until the problem arises. Sara Lang, Dr. Goodman and Rick Walters should have coordination with each other and should have arranged a meeting to arrange the staff work schedule. The new time table was not reviewed properly and there was no information sent to the group about the change of the work schedule. The group must have coordination with each other to prevent this repeating in the future. The Work schedule must be posted at the memo boards and emailed as well and copied to everyone so that there will be no misunderstanding. Personal life must be removed in the work place to prevent favoritism that will cause conflict of interest in the future.
Question 5 (LO1c)
Explain how the TWO (2) types of feedback approaches used by the clinical mentor in Case Study 3 which relates to the effectiveness of managerial communication.
(5 marks each, a total of 10 marks)
The clinical mentor who is observing the counselling in approach number 1 is doing the Descriptive feedback. The clinical mentor identified and describes how the nurse interacted to the patient. The mentor was furious on how the nurse interacted with the patient. The nurse reacted in judgemental way and that could hinder the quality of building trust and rapport with the patient. The mentor commented to the nurse to let her know and understands what she needs to do to improve her conversation with the patient. In this way it will prevent the patient to disclose more information about her. To be more effective counsellor, insensitive interaction and judgemental comments must be avoided. In Approach two prescriptive feedback was used by the mentor to the nurse because she suggest something to the nurse that would probe further about the condom use. Prescriptive feedback provides advice about how to communicate and interact and it is like constructive criticism. Prescriptive feedback provides suggestions to improve ways in dealing with the people. Thus helps someone progress in their communication skill. Communication in healthcare field is important because it is the foundation of care.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: