1: How teams differ from groups, how to develop groups into teams.
It’s important to remind team members that they share a common purpose and to direct their energy toward business-unit or corporate goals. The leader should periodically highlight how everyone’s work fits into the company’s overall strategy and advances its position in the market (Neeley, 2015)
2: The characteristics of high-performing teams.
Success in the workplace depends on your ability to build a team, as well as to interact with others on that team. Together, people are able to accomplish what one person alone cannot. This is known as synergy.
Following are the characteristics of a Good/Effective team:
- A clear, elevating goal: This is a goal which has been communicated to all.
- A results-driven structure: The goal has been jointly decided by all the team members. They are fully committed towards achieving it.
- Competent members: Each team member has the required skill set in order to achieve the team objectives.
- Unified commitment: There is nothing happening in silos. With the total commitment from team members, achieving organizational goals becomes easier.
- A collaborative climate: Commitment from team members and a good leadership leads to a collaborative team with a productive work environment.
- Standards of excellence: Quality orientation is vital to the success of any organization.
- External support and recognition: Appreciation as well as appraisal is required to keep the morale of the team high.
- Principled leadership: Leadership defines a team. An able-bodied leadership can chart the team’s path to success.
- Each team member participates actively and positively in meetings as well as projects. This shows a person’s commitment as well as understanding towards a project.
- Team goals are clearly understood by all: Communication is vital for achieving successful completion of any project.
- Individual members have thought about creative solutions to the team’s problem. Thinking out of the box is vital in today’s economic scenario.
- Members are listened to carefully as well as given a thoughtful feedback. Listening is an important skill for any team. Each team member is important. The thoughts and ideas of each team member have to be listened to, with respect, no matter how silly they may sound at first.
- Everyone takes the initiative in order to get things done. There is no concept of passing the buck. This is an indication of clear communication leading to understanding of individual responsibilities.
- Each team member trusts the judgment of others: Mutual trust and respect is highly important for the team. This is the only way to achieve the organization goals.
- The team has to be willing to take risks: Risk taking is an attitude which comes with confidence. Confidence on yourself as well as on the team, besides the ability to face all consequences.
- Everyone has to be supportive of the project as well as of others. A team is one unit. Unless these cohesive forces are there, the team will never be able to work efficiently enough.
- There is ample communication between the team members.
- Team decisions are made by using organized as well as logical methods.
- Dissenting opinions are never ignored: In fact, they are always recorded in order to be revisited in case the future situations dictate so.
- Teams are given realistic deadlines: External support as well as aid is vital to the success of any team.
An efficient team needs support from both inside and outside. It needs to meet the individual needs of its members in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
3: Handling challenges within the team.
4: Team motivation for better performance.
A team is formed when individuals with a similar interest come together to realize a common dream. The team members must think of their team first and all other personal interests should come later. Every individual must contribute equally as per his capability to achieve the predefined targets successfully within the desired time frame.
Motivation and attitude go hand in hand in increasing the output of any team.
You need a match stick for fire, you need ink for a pen to write, and similarly an individual needs motivation to perform. Every individual has some latent talent and needs a push for the talent to come out. Without motivation, the team members feel reluctant to work and also tend to spread negativity around. Human beings are hungry for praise and appreciation. It is the prime duty of the team leader to appreciate his team members whenever they have done something great. This way they feel happy and motivated to perform even better the next time.
Set a deadline for the submission of work. All the employees submitting the work within the stipulated time frame must be appreciated in public. Circulate a mail among all the employees appreciating your team member’s efficiency. Any person coming out with a brilliant idea should be suitably rewarded. It is not always you give cash to motivate your employees, but even small tokens of appreciation can make a difference. Reward your team member with anything he likes. Appreciating one member does not mean you will neglect or criticize the other members of the team who could not perform up to the mark this time. It is the duty of the team leader to motivate them so that they perform well the next time. Ask them to “BUCK UP”.
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.View our services
A single member’s performance can hardly make a difference to the team’s performance; every member has to contribute equally for the maximum output. Celebrate your team’s success inviting all your team members. Take them out for a lunch to a nearby restaurant. They will feel happy and also come closer to each other this way. Give a pat on their back to appreciate their hard work.
Titles such as “Best Employee of the month” and “Best Team Member” also go a long way in motivating the team members. The names of the best performers must be displayed on the notice boards for everyone to see.
Incentives and perks also motivate the employees to a large extent. If any team member does something outstanding do not forget to appreciate him on an open forum and also ask the other members to reach to his level as well.
Avoid making fun of your colleagues. It is considered highly unprofessional. Don’t spread negativity around. Don’t depend on blame games or spread unnecessary rumours about your team members.
Motivation alone can’t create wonders; it needs to be coupled with positive attitude of the team members to ensure high performance of the team. Adopt a positive attitude at work. Do not always find faults in others. Listen to your team members as well. Don’t assume things or draw conclusions on your own. Be a little more flexible and adjusting to avoid conflicts at work place. Sit and discuss issues with your team members to reach to an alternative. Results can’t be achieved unless and until you believe in yourself. The will power to do something is important. One should have the urge to perform.
Always try to look at life from a larger perspective. Things can not always be the way you like, its better to accept things as it is sometimes. Remember after heavy rains, there is always a clear sky. Problems might crop up anytime, but it is always better to grin and move on. Do not overreact on petty things.
Don’t be too adamant or rigid, instead be a little forgiving. It is absolutely okay if you take the initiative and say “Sorry”. This magical word goes a long way in reducing conflicts to a large extent. Don’t unnecessary create tensions for others and yourself as well.
Don’t be disheartened if someone comes to you and corrects you for your mistakes; do take it in a positive and healthy way. Do not step in the office with a mind clouded with negative thoughts. Everything seems wrong to you and you unnecessarily fight with people around.
Team members must adopt a positive attitude to avoid tensions and misunderstandings at work place. Positive attitude with a little motivation can actually create wonders for the team.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: