Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UKEssays.com.
Circulatory system is made up of the vessels and the muscles that help and control the flow of the blood around the body. Blood contains antigens and antibodies to protect us from infectious and non-infectious diseases which called the immune system. Whenever antigen and antibody interlock, the antibody marks the antigen for destruction.
Everyone would want to have the ideal body. They will do everything so that their bodies could be perfect form, especially female. Approximately 95% of those affected by anorexia are female, but males can develop the disorder as well. Anorexia nervosa is a non-infectious disease. Anorexia nervosa or usually called anorexia is an eating disorder or loss of desire for food (appetite). When people have this disease, they are called to be anorexic.
The process of too much limiting the amount of food into the body is likely to result a person experiencing anorexia. People with anorexia nervosa behave to be very high achievers, performing very well in many activities. Professionals for instance athletes, model or superstar are easily got anorexic, because of their professional requirement. Anorexia is mostly resulted from one maintaining an extremely low weight, and formed as a result of changes in one’s behavior, emotions, thinking, perceptions, and social interactions.
When people called to be anorexic, they don’t have any nutrition in their body and thus anorexia’s antigen could attack antibodies. When antibodies failed to prevent anorexia’s antigens, our body will get tired, weak and other symptoms of anorexia will occur. Even though there have been many anorexia cases, at the end of the millennium, people health will be better and anorexics will decrease because of the technology improvement. This essay will discuss the causes, symptoms, prevention methods, and treatment methods towards anorexia disease.
Anorexia is a very dangerous disease because it is happening in all over the world. A record has been made in 2004 by world health organization statistical information system to prove how harmful is this eating disorder. There are approximately 20 countries counted for the people death caused by anorexics. Below is the diagram of the record.
Anorexics might cause by having troubled relationships or being teased about their size or weight at their past. When being teased, person felt of not good enough, low self-esteem, and even anger. Thus this will affects their social life. According to a research suggests that a combination of certain personality traits, emotions and thinking patterns, as well as cultural and environmental factors might be responsible.
People who have anorexia are behaving to deny that they have a problem. Due to people with anorexia often hide their condition symptoms are not easy to see. But as time goes by, as anorexia progresses symptoms may be seen and it’s start to be difficult for them to deny. The symptoms are:
- Anorexics read food labels to measures and weighs the calories of the food that they will eat.
- Anorexics will pretend that they had eaten before when someone ask them to or throw the food away.
- They preoccupy with food. By collecting recipes, reading food magazines or cooking for friends may make other think that they are normal and forgotten about their previous thought of (he/she) getting anorexia.
- Anorexics will cut food into small pieces and chewing every bite a certain number of times.
- The affected person uses various methods such as vomiting or laxative abuse to prevent weight gain.
- Most individuals with anorexia nervosa do not recognize that they have an eating disorder. And usually hide their feelings, thoughts, intentions and actions from other people (secretive).
- They may easily get tired, weak, and most of the time dizzy because of low blood pressure. Have purplish skin color on their arms and legs from poor blood flow. They also happen to have yellow skin and dry mouth. Patient of anorexia nervosa are easily getting confused and slow thinking.
Not all of cases involving this type of non-infectious disease can be prevented. Despite that, there may be some ways to be done to prevent some cases to happen. What can be done are: teaching and encouraging healthy eating habits and realistic attitudes about food and body image to people that are suspected might experience anorexia. The role of parents in a family is also important. In particular, mothers should create a healthy lifestyle in order to show her children how important to consume particular amount of food, and fathers should not criticize too much on his children’ body shape and weight. In addition, parents should promote a healthy and supporting environment for their children. On the other hand, the media can also be used to promote healthier lifestyle. It must represent the society, as the basic characteristic of an individual is that they may tend to follow other’s lifestyle. The media can also display programs that are created to prevent eating disorder.
Many of anorexics died before they could get a well treatment. Anorexics that are in a very underweight condition, must be treated carefully, or hospitalized. After anorexics get the medical treatment, they need to get psychological counseling in order for them learn about healthy foods and lifestyle. The psychological counseling may includes nutritional counseling, individual counseling and group counseling. Nutritional counseling will teaches anorexics to count calories of body needed in comfortable method. And to help with weight gain, doctors usually use liquid food supplements. Anorexics may also need some therapies such as cognitive-behavioral therapy or known as CBT in the individual counseling. CBT teachers will help anorexics to change their attitudes and behaviors about eating. Group counseling is also needed for anorexics, to share their experiences and to encourage their friends (who also experience anorexia) to recover. Family therapy is very helpful, especially for teen with anorexics. Parents and siblings could support the anorexics during treatment emotionally and physically. Another effort to help anorexics recover is by letting them expressing their feelings and doing something enjoyable for them for instance doing their hobbies. Then, doing relaxation is also important. By having yoga, massage and the traditional Chinese relaxation exercises will build a healthy relationship with their body.
- ThinkQuest, ThinkQuest. “Circulatory System”. 30-11-09 <http://library.thinkquest.org/5777/cir1.htm>.
- National Cancer Institute, USA, National Cancer Institute, USA . “Antigens and Antibodies”. 29-12-09 <http://www.web-books.com/eLibrary/Medicine/Physiology/Immune/Antigen.htm>.
- Stoppler, Melissa. “Anorexia nervosa”. medecinenet.com. 29-11-09 <http://www.medicinenet.com/anorexia_nervosa/article.htm>.
- ehealthMD, ehealthMD. “Anorexia nervosa”. 30-11-09<http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/anorexia/ANO_whatis.html>.
- NationMaster.com, NationMaster.com. “Mortality Statistics > Eating disorders (most recent) by country “. 1-12-09 <http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_eat_dis-mortality-eating-disorders>.
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic. “Anorexia nervosa”. 1-11-09 <http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/Anorexia_Nervosa/hic_Anorexia_Nervosa.aspx>.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on the UKDiss.com website then please: