English Language Essay Questions
- Describe the four skills that need to be thought in a MODERN COMMUNICATIVE classroom. Make sure you use the following terms: Pre-task, Post-task, Skimming, Scanning, Interaction, Authentic (texts), Language learning strategies, Aims, Affective factors, etc.
- Discuss critically how semantics and pragmatics both have a role in the understanding of meaning
- Poverty in the year 2010. (anger, housing...) (impact of poverty on old people...) you can arrange the question as you want. The essay is due in America so use more example of the US and use Europe as a comparison, France more. Please use only on-line sources.
- Prose - Comparing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and The Hound of The Baskervilles.
- Susan Bassnett claimed in 1993 that comparative literature would be replaced by translation studies. What led her to say so,and what is your assessment of her argument?
- The best short stories often have an unexpected twist at the end. It is this unpredictability that makes them so interesting. Referring closely to three of short stories (list attached) taken from The New Windmill Book of Classic Short Stories, write about the ways in which the writers build up to a surprising or exciting conclusion (700-800 words). Guidance notes also attached.
- Think about how you would characterise the situation described in the first verse paragraph: what has happened?
- Who regarded Faraday as a famous man and everyone think Faraday was a great man for the same reasons?
- Write a compare and contrast style essay.
- Choose a word and research its history, etymology, morphology, connotations and collocations, semantic relationships and pragmatic usage.
- Compare morphological compounds with syntactic phrases. What are their similarities and differences?
The UK should stop allowing immigrants to come to the country as there are too many of them.