This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.
The purpose of this report is to apply your knowledge of marketing to Nike. Your report should explain the concepts of marketing; illustrate segmentation, targeting and positioning using one of their products. Finally, you analyse their marketing and devise a marketing mix for one of their products
Your report should follow the outline below.
Task 1 - Investigate the concept and process of marketing.
Compare alternative definitions of marketing. You should use the key words from the definitions to formulate your own definition.
Identify the main characteristics of a marketing oriented organisation and explain if you think Nike exhibit these characteristics
Compare the selling concept with the marketing concept- which one best describesNike?
Identify and assess the benefits and costs of implementing a marketing approach to Nike.
Task 2- Explore the concepts of segmentation, targeting and positioning
Identify and explain the relevance of 2 macro and 1 micro environmental factor to marketing undertaken by Nike.
Propose 3 segmentation criteria and explain how Nike could use these criteria to segment the market for one of its products.
State the target market you would choose for this product and explain why you think this target market would be attractive to Nike.
Explain how Nike should take account of buyer behavior in their marketing activities
Task 3- Identify and analyse the individual elements of the extended marketing mix.
Analyse how Nike gain competitive advantage through their products.
Critically evaluate the distribution strategy used by Nike for their products. Suggest ways in which it could be improved.
Explain how the prices set by Nike reflect their objectives and market conditions.
Comment on the effectiveness of their promotional strategy in helping Nike to meet their marketing objectives for their products.
Task 4 Apply the extended marketing mix to different marketing segments and contexts.
Choose a Nike product and devise two marketing mixes for the product. Start your marketing mix by outlining the target markets the product is aimed at.
Explain the differences in marketing products and services to organizations rather than consumers
Explain how and why international marketing differs from domestic marketing for Nike.
1. You should write this assignment in report style using the headings outlined above.
2. You should use diagrams and tables of figures where appropriate ensuring to
reference their source.
3. You should include a bibliography using the Harvard referencing system.
4. All tasks must be completed in the word limit of 2500-3000 words excluding table of figures, diagrams and appendices.
Assessment criteria for pass
To achieve each outcome a learner must demonstrate
the ability to:
1 Investigate the concept and process of marketing
• compare alternative definitions of marketing
• identify the main characteristics of a marketing oriented organisation
• explain the various elements of the marketing concept
• identify and assess the benefits and costs of a marketing approach
2 Explore the concepts of segmentation, targeting and positioning
• identify and explain macro and micro environmental factors which influence marketing decisions
• propose segmentation criteria to be used for two products in different markets
• outline the factors which influence the choice of targeting strategy
• explain how buyer behaviour affects marketing activities in two different buying situations
3 Identify and analyse the individual elements of the extended marketing mix
• describe how products are developed to sustain competitive advantage
• explain how distribution is arranged to provide customer convenience
• explain how prices are set to reflect an organisation's objectives and market conditions
• illustrate how promotional activity is integrated to achieve marketing objectives
• analyse the additional elements of the extended marketing mix
4 Apply the extended marketing mix to different marketing segments and contexts
• recommend marketing mixes for two different segments in consumer markets
• explain the differences in marketing products and services to organisations rather than consumers
• explain how and why international marketing differs from domestic marketing
A pass grade is achieved by meeting all the requirements defined in the pass assessment criteria for each unit
In order to achieve a merit the learner
The learner's evidence shows:
In order to achieve a distinction the learner must:
The learner's evidence shows:
identify and apply strategies to find appropriate solutions
relevant marketing theories and techniques have been applied
effective judgments have been made about the nature of marketing
the marketing strategy of Nike has been explored effectively
use critical reflection to evaluate own work and justify valid conclusions
synthesis has been used to generate and justify valid conclusions about the nature of marketing
the validity of results has been judged
self criticism of approach has taken place
evaluation of how Nike marketing strategy has been applied
realistic improvements have been proposed
select/design and apply appropriate methods/techniques
a range of theories have been considered
a range of sources of information used
the choice of segments and positioning strategies have been justified.
the design of methods/techniques justified
complex information/data have been synthesised and processed
take responsibility for managing and organising activities
substantial activities/projects or investigations have been planned, managed and organised
the unforeseen has been accommodated
the importance of interdependence of all elements of the marketing mix has been recognized
present and communicate appropriate findings
appropriate structure and approach has been used
logical and coherent arguments have been presented
technical language accurately used
a range of methods of presentation has been used
appropriate media used
familiar and unfamiliar contexts have been used
it is appropriate for familiar and unfamiliar audiences
demonstrate convergent, lateral and creative thinking
ideas generated and decisions taken
self evaluation has taken place
convergent and lateral thinking have been applied
problems have been solved
capacity for innovation and creative thought has been used
receptiveness to new ideas have been demonstrated
unfamiliar contexts have been applied
Each unit will be graded as a Pass, Merit or Distinction. A pass is awarded for the achievement of all outcomes against the specified assessment criteria. Merit and Distinction grades are awarded for higher-level achievement.