Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UK Essays.
This report demonstrates on how to maintain Ambidexterity for MatchBox design partnership. In spite of the fact that MBA views itself as a Learning organization, in light of an thorough research on the momentum Managerial conduct within the firm, the HR procedures actualized to gauge the execution of its resources and techniques embraced for running its activities, additionally taking a glimpse at the flow Information frameworks joined by MBA, this report recommends couple of powerful techniques for Managing, systems for increment in efficiency in tasks alongside best HR hones for estimating the execution of its assets and upgrading the use of accessible Information advances.
As MBA is a construction company, this report entails on how it can increment in profitability level by embracing compelling techniques for Managing, Operating and utilizing best data innovation assets. The points and goals this concocted to obtain a tremendous customer base in its focused market have been depicted in this report. It also shows how balance of production and productivity can be preserved by using various concepts and informative theories, of the major market opportunities for Matchbox Architect can be strategic alliance with other renowned companies as this can increase the knowledge base of this company. In order to become a successful corporate entrepreneur Matchbox Architect can implement Transformational theory of Leadership, Application of Agile method to increase its productivity, Design thinking and Structural Alignment of information systems for increasing their performance level.
The Matchbox Architect Limited is a structural and Architect Engineering Company that operates in the UK since the year of 2009 when it started trading. It is a Private Limited company of 22 existing employees at present. MBA have a comprehensive and touchy way to deal with supportable arranging and plan, inside the private, business, and mechanical segments. They have delighted in enduring development year on year, enabling to extend and progress toward becoming multi-disciplinary with in-house pros and deliberately chose vital accomplices. This business organization belongs to the Chamber of Commerce in the Northampton shire. In the last data that was collected from the business organization, the annual turnover, reserves and the net profit was released and at the same time for the assessment year the turnover, reserves and the net profit was projected as well. For the year 2018, it released its annual turnover of an amount of £ 281,926, the net profit of an amount of £ 122,926.
This report shows emphasis on how the main bodies of an Organization can function effectively to bring balance of Production and Productivity by reviewing the objectives and the aims that the business organization possesses. The business organization Matchbox Architects Ltd., predominantly centers around the spurring the new age that would take into account the forming of the British Architect later on by broadening, making and changing the earth of the assembled. It additionally takes the vital arranging, improvement outline, arrangement, supervision and development of the agreement and the enhancement in their monetary position. The main objectives of the Matchbox Architect are to create well-engineered building to give a perfect shape to the British Architect. By leaving a legacy, the business organization aims towards taking all the people within their own buildings through ethical design. Simultaneously, to achieve recognition in London in the upcoming three years, achieve the annual turnover of £ 1 million.
Theory of Transformational Leadership to enhance Ambidexterity in MBA designing partnership:
As stated by (Li, Lin and Tien, 2015) to ensure a Long-term survival in a competitive environment, firms must be ambidextrous at the same time adapting the exploratory innovation and exploitative innovation (Gibson and Birkinshaw, 2004). Leaders in an organization play key role of directing the resources to the mission, vision and goals set by them. As defined by Gratton and Erickson (2007) leaders need to be committed to their duties and maintain a healthy relationship with large teams for effective management. (actual definitions – task-based and relationship-oriented in the management of Large teams). Ideally, we understand that Leadership is to be inspiring, motivating and to be a role model for their team members, all of which fall under the performance-based characteristics of a Transformational Leadership. (Bass & Avolio, 1994) We can suggest the style of Transformational Leadership for MatchBox Architects as it focuses on showcasing established behaviours and being determined to achieve the vision and goals (Bass et al., 1987). As we understand that MatchBox Architects is a start-up and Neil Scroxton the Managing director/Founder has built the organization and the team under his experience and guidance, however the decisions on finalising the designs for the projects are solely made by him in the organization. This decision-making authority might as well not be accepted by other team members in the organization, hence this directly or indirectly misleads the thoughts of the Architects who create the initial designs for their particular project. It is also understood that he is Client-focused and reviews and tests the projects designed by his architects before delivering it to ensure client satisfaction.
According to Burns, a significant change is developed in the life of people and organization with the use of Transforming method, where it reshapes the insight and values and inspires to improve their outcomes and ambitions. Transformational leaders are ideal as they set an example by working towards the betterment of people and its organization (Burns, J.M. (1978)). Most of studies considered adopting Transformational leadership is directly involved in obtaining ambidexterity to a firm (Jansen et al., 2008). An optimistic suggestion on Transformational leadership and encouraging followers retort like pioneering behaviour are documented well (Judge and Piccolo, 2004). A basic theory of transformational effect is that it is influenced by the reactions of the follower behaviours such as enhanced thought process and optimistic feelings to a Leader in a workplace (e.g. decentralization or empowerment; Avolio et al., 2004)
In synopsis we can suggest that the utilization of hypothesis of Transformational leadership can bring a feasible ability to use both hands for MatchBox association as it is as yet developing in size and authoritative structure. The directors and managerial level resources can use both formal and informal managerial combination and regulate processes including cross functional interfaces also contribute to improved performance (Jansen et al. 2009; Tiwana 2010). With the end goal to achieve Ambidexterity, it is fundamental that MBA exhibits how both convention and familiarity assume key jobs to keep up parity in the firm, authoritative structure and process configuration being the real part.
Orchestration of Operational functions & Organizational structure of MBA for sustainable ambidexterity:
Resource orchestration is defined as a blend of resources and managerial insight to realize Higher performance of a firm (Chadwick et al., 2015). Although MatchBox Architect constantly aims at being a Learning Organization, it faces certain challenges in the competitive market, which they need to pay heed upon to have long run sustainability in the market. Resilience has become one of the vital and dominant factors in an Organization to face the challenges by fostering Individual, team and Organizational capacities (Luthans 2002). As we know that MatchBox has implemented the strategy of KPI’s (Key performance Indicator) to quantify the individual productivity of its employees, we contend that this methodology of estimating the execution is an essential methodology as not out of the ordinary from a Learning Organization, anyway it doesn’t check the representatives on their Overall execution amid their time-spent in the firm. Before we proceed to the major questions raised by MBA, we need to understand that existing resilience and Human resource practices are essential to ensure well-being of its employees and maintenance of performance and effectiveness of its resources and how it has considered teams and organizations to identify, develop and employ flexibility to manage testing circumstances (Hitt & Ireland, 2002). MBA as a learning organization can might as well adapt these leading features to maintain transparency and flexibility among its employees and adopt best HR practices (recognize, create and utilize adaptability) to measure the performance of each resource and their effectiveness. This approach could possibly help with a potential increase in the employee’s productivity and dedication towards the firm and significantly maintain ambidexterity among the Individuals innovation and the Operations of the firm (Raisch, Birkinshaw, Probst, & Tushman, 2009).
According to Raisch & Birkinshaw, they have suggested two different types of Ambidexterity:
Structural ambidexterity is explained based on the design of the organization and a known, extended and identified range of stable organizational structure that are essential to bring about ambidexterity (e.g., Jansen, Tempelaar, Van Den Bosch, & Volberda, 2009).
Contextual ambidexterity motivates resources to involve in both exploration and exploitation activities focusing to influence the behavioural context in a firm.
Effective methods to measure and assess productivity in a creative environment:
Productivity measures can be advanced from public data to provide a more wide-ranging gauge of an organization performance than Profit rates alone. Predictable comparisons of business performance are based on measures of accounting profits, or if companies are publicly-traded, stock prices. Such measures signify returns to investors but are questionable to reflect the full value created by the enterprise. (Kaplan & Norton, 1992; Neeley, Gregory, & Platts, 1995). MatchBox Architects being a young and rapid growing organization can practice the technique of International comparisons of firm Performance and set benchmarks which can be shrewder than more standard measures of profitability. The methods of productivity measurement have mostly been advanced by economists, whose efforts have typically focused on comparisons at the industry or national level (e.g., Jorgenson, 1995).
Strategies to become a Learning Organization and Improve the quality of its employee’s behaviour:
In later past years, the cooperation of Organizational learning hypothesis and Knowledge Management has demonstrated an ascent to basic dreams with respect to the learning procedure and information Transfer which still requires much consideration with the end goal to be strong into training (Herghiligiu et al., 2018). MatchBox as a startup can center around breaking down the Learning by Sharing procedure as far as individual, hierarchical affecting elements and results of it (Pohontu, 2013). Since MBA business condition is confronting an incredible dynamic, and it must have the capacity to rapidly procure new aptitudes, to recognize and share best practices, to gain from their errors, Learning and Knowledge sharing are in first closer view in that encourages the securing of new practices important to adjust to new cha.nges (Istrate & Herghiligiu, 2016; Luca et al., 2016).
Aside from Knowledge sharing, they can present Design thinking procedure for their organization since a large portion of the examination and uses of design have concentrated on states of mind, aptitudes, strategies, and systems. These have been connected to strategic issues of the advancement of items and administrations, issues of authoritative activities, and issues of the vision and system of associations. Put just, the test for strategy is the way to impact organizations not exclusively to influence the reasoning and conduct of people, yet in addition to positively affect human involvement in an inexorably perplexing world. By becoming a ‘Design-centric’ organization, with design thinking at the core of corporate vision, MatchBox Architects can be a proficient, compelling and profitable, with advantages for its employees, investors, and clients, in addition to Individuals in the public arena on the loose. As far back as the 1950s, Nobel Prize winner Herbert A. Simon, who started his vocation by working in a school of Architecture, recognized Design as a key element of administration, concentrating his clarification on the contrast among investigation and union (Buchanan, 2015).
Comprehension of Information frameworks – an Ambidexterity Perspective:
As we know MatchBox designing partnership utilize an arrangement of instruments Automated tools which covers individuals, machines or sorted out techniques to gather, process, transmit and scatter information speaking to data for the client or customer, it is very chivalrous to depend on Data frameworks (IS) to improve authoritative readiness to flourish in the present unstable market condition portrayed by quickly changing client request, legal hitches and extreme aggressive competition (A. Chakravarty 2013). Research works that did not locate the foreseen beneficial outcome of Information system alignment on swiftness quality such outcomes, in a post-hoc way, to the test of keeping up arrangement amid vital execution, suggesting the significance of IS alignment at the Operational level. In any case, few investigations have formally analyzed operational arrangement and its impact on nimbleness (J.W. Palmer, 2000)
Scholars (Y. Lu, K. Ramamurthy, V. Sambamurthy) have argued that organization IT department ought to fulfil twin demands from business departments. On the one hand, IT department should give a proper and planned IT platform to make sure potency in operations. On the opposite hand, associate IT department ought to be informally aligned with business departments to be sufficiently versatile to address rising requests that need dynamic interaction between IT and business. The social alignment of Operating Information systems focuses on the fit of informal structures, defined as the alignment of human connections among representatives in business and IT departments (B.H. Reich, 2000). The execution of Information System procedures and tasks normally does not include Top managers or it includes them just negligibly [D. Beimborn, 2014). Accordingly, social arrangement alludes to association designs, common coordinated efforts and qualities shared between representatives of business and IT divisions. These social assets give the casual relationship structure to IT and business, which shapes the establishment for future Knowledge-sharing and creation.
Consequently, MatchBox Architects can adjust to the Structural Alignment hypothesis, which features that the execution of an IT framework (e.g., advances, applications) ought to be in accordance with inside formal structures, including hierarchical basic leadership rights, administrative standards and authoritative structures (A. Tiwana, 2010). By difference, Information system procedures should fit in with the requests of business tasks (H.-T. Wagner, 2006).
From the above study it can be concluded that, since MatchBox Architects is a startup organization and yet growing in its Human capital, they can adopt the Transformational theory of leadership as the role of a Leader in an organization is not only to be Inspirational, task-based or motivational but also to be supportive with the productivity of efforts put in by its employees. By using this approach, the Decision-making authority can be eradicated and be a mutual outcome through the understanding between the top managers and the entry level resources.
In order to increase the companys productivity, MatchBox Architects must develop the methods of functioning of their Operational structure by using the 2 key types of Ambidexterity structures. Also enhance their HR strategies and implement Design Thinking methodology to measure the performance of its resources which would benefit MBA’s employees with not only increase in productivity but also optimistic behavioural changes.
MatchBox Architects must limit the usage of multiple Information technologies tools since they are in a creative/innovative sector to gain the focus of its employees to achieve company’s objectives in a faster pace. By means of the Structural Alignment theory will help MBA adopt tools according to the organizations structure and requirement, mainly concentrating on being innovative which is a core element in their field.
Adopting Transformational theory of Leadership:
MatchBox can adopt the use of Transformational leadership will be encouraging to the followers like pioneering behaviour. A basic theory of transformational effect is that it is influenced by the reactions of the follower behaviours such as enhanced thought process and optimistic feelings to a Leader in a workplace.
Following the Structural & Conceptual Ambidexterity and developing Design Thinking strategy:
The Top Managers of MatchBox Architects must understand the design of the organization and implementing a suitable structure for its effective operational functioning can bring about increase in the productivity for the firm. At the same, time using both explorative and exploitative activities to influence and enhance the behaviour of its resources.
Design Thinking pattern, to enhance the decision-making process of MBA’s resources. Decisions must not only profit oriented, but also with employees, investors, and clients, in addition to Individuals in the public arena on the loose.
Structural Alignment hypothesis:
MatchBox Architects must utilize best advances in light of their operational structure, organization measures and its employees convinience. Utilizing Structural Alignment theory, they can restrict their utilization of IT Tools all together so its representatives can invest less energy in taking a shot at instruments and spotlight on being imaginative and innovative for their center occupation of required Architectural outlines for their ventures, since they are in a Construction area.
- Li, C., Lin, C. and Tien, Y. (2015). CEO transformational leadership and top manager ambidexterity. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 36(8), pp.927-954.
- Bass, B., Waldman, D., Avolio, B., & Bebb, M. (1987). Transformational leadership and the falling dominoes effect. Group & Organization Studies, 12, 73.
- Ryan, S. (2012). The relationship between shared vision, cohesion, role clarity, mutual trust and transformational leadership within a team setting. [online] Scholar.sun.ac.za. Available at: http://scholar.sun.ac.za/handle/10019.1/20170 [Accessed 14 Oct. 2018].
- Burns, J.M. (1978) Leadership. New York. Harper & Row.
- Jansen, J.J.P., George, G., Van den Bosch, F.A.J. and Volberda, H.W. (2008), “Senior team attributes and organizational ambidexterity: the moderating role of transformational leadership”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 45 No. 5, pp. 982-1007
- Judge, T.A. and Piccolo, R.F. (2004), “Transformational and transactional leadership: a meta-analytic test of their relative validity”, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 89 No. 5, pp. 755-768.
- Avolio, B.J., Zhu, W., Koh, W. and Puja, B. (2004), “Transformational leadership and organizational commitment: mediating role of psychological empowerment and moderating role of structural distance”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 25 No. 8, pp. 951-968.
- Jansen, J.J.P., Tempelaar, M.P., Van den Bosch, F.A.J. and Volberda, H.W. (2009). Structural differentiation and ambidexterity: the mediating role of integration mechanisms. Organization Science, 20, pp. 797–811.
- Tiwana, A. (2010). Systems development ambidexterity: explaining the complementary and substitutive roles of formal and informal controls. Journal of Management Information Systems, 27, pp. 87–126
- Chadwick, C., Super, J.F. and Kwon, K. (2015), “Resource orchestration in practice: CEO emphasis on SHRM, commitment‐based HR systems, and firm performance”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36 No. 3, pp. 360-376.
- Luthans, F. (2002). The need for and meaning of positive organizational behavior, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 23(6), 695-706.
- Hitt, M.A., & Ireland, R.D. (2002), The essence of strategic leadership: Managing human and social capital, Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 9(1), 3-14.
- Raisch, S., Birkinshaw, J., Probst, G. and Tushman, M.L. (2009). ‘Organizational ambidexterity: balancing exploitation and exploration for sustained performance’. Organization Science, 20, 685-95.
- Raisch, S. and Birkinshaw, J. (2008). ‘Organizational Ambidexterity: Antecedents, Outcomes, and Moderators’, Journal of Management, 34, 375-409.
- Jansen, J.J.P., Tempelaar, M.P., Van Den Bosch, F.A.J. and Volberda, H.W. (2009). ‘Structural Differentiation and Ambidexterity: The Mediating Role of Integration Mechanisms’. Organization Science, 20, 797-811.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. 1992. The balanced scorecard-measures that drive performance. Harvard Business Review, 70: 71–79.
- Neely, A., Gregory, M., & Platts, K. 1995. Performance measurement system design: A literature review and research agenda. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 15: 80–116.
- Jorgenson, D. W. 1995. Productivity, vol. 2: International comparisons of economic growth. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Herghiligiu, I., Pohonţu, A., Pislaru, M. and Vilcu, A. (2018). Influencing Factors and Outcomes of the Learning by Sharing Process. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 238, pp.63-72.
- Pohontu, A.I. (2013). Рrоmоtіng оf synergіstіс рrосesses fоr knоwledge shаrіng wіthіn оrgаnіzаtіоns, PhD Thesis, “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iasi, Romania/ University of Angers, France.
- Istrate, C., Herghiligiu, I.V. (2016). Knowledge management performance methodology regarding manufacturing organizations, ModTech International Conference – Modern Technologies in Industrial Engineering IV, IOP Publishing, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 145, Organization and Management of Industrial Processes, 062002 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/145/6/062002.
- Buchanan, R. (2015). Worlds in the Making: Design, Management, and the Reform of Organizational Culture. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 1(1), pp.5-21.
- Herbert A. Simon, Administrative Behavior: A Study of Decision-Making Processes in Administrative Organizations (New York: Free Press, 1945), 353.
- Chakravarty, R. Grewal, V. Sambamurthy Information technology competencies, organizational agility, and firm performance: enabling and facilitating roles Inf. Syst. Res., 24 (4) (2013), pp. 976-997
- J.W. Palmer, M.L. Markus The performance impacts of quick response and strategic alignment in specialty retailing Inf. Syst. Res., 11 (3) (2000), pp. 241-259
- Y. Lu, K. Ramamurthy Understanding the link between information technology capability and organizational agility: an empirical examination MIS Q., 35 (4) (2011), pp. 931-954
- B.H. Reich, I. Benbasat Factors that influence the social dimension of alignment between business and information technology objectives MIS Q., 24 (1) (2000), pp. 81-114
- H.-T. Wagner, D. Beimborn, T. Weitzel How social capital among information technology and business units drives operational alignment and it business value J. Manage. Inf. Syst., 31 (1) (2014), pp. 241-272
- Tiwana, B. Konsynski Inf. Syst. Res., 21 (2) (2010), pp. 288-304
- Stokes, P., Smith, S., Wall, T., Moore, N., Rowland, C., Ward, T. and Cronshaw, S. (2018). Resilience and the (micro-)dynamics of organizational ambidexterity: implications for strategic HRM. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, pp.1-36.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Find out more
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have the essay published on the UK Essays website then please: