The Nutritarian Plan
The goal of the Nutritarian diet plan is to make sure that all the raw nutritions your body needs to maintain excellent health are supplied in the most favorable amounts.
The Nutritarian Food Pyramid
Eat lots of raw green vegetables and a big portion of cooked green vegetables every day. Shoot for one pound of raw vegetables daily.
Cruciferous vegetables are those in the broccoli and cabbage family. They include kale, collards, broccoli, broccoli rabe, broccollina, Brussels sprouts, watercress, bok choy, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, mustard greens, arugula, kohlrabi, red cabbage, mache, turnip greens, horse radish, rutabaga, turnips, and radishes.
Cruciferous vegetables contain phytochemicals that can prevent toxic compounds from causing DNA damage that could lead to cancer.
Recommended Salad Vegetables
Lettuces – all varieties
Onions and scallions
Baby bok choy
Hearts of Palm
Stewed Mushrooms (chilled)
(B) Fruits, Beans, Nuts, Seeds, and Grain Products
Fruits – eat a few fresh fruits with breakfast and one with lunch and dinner. Limit dried fruits, such as raisins and dates, to a minimal amount as a flavor enhancer. No fruit juices.
Beans – up to a cup with each lunch and dinner, two cups total a day.
Nuts and seeds – one ounce a day for overweight females; 1.5 ounces for overweight males. Do not eat over 2 ounces per day if you are overweight. Make sure the seeds and nuts do not exceed one ounce when you’re also eating the permitted amount of half an avocado.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Find out more
Grain products – Grain products are lower on the nutrient density scale, so limit yourself to one serving per day of whole grain or intact grain. Avoid all grains products in phase one of the program. Intact grains are whole grains that have not been ground up into a fine powder so they are digested slowly and have a more favorable GL.
(C) Animal Products, Refined Grains, Sweeteners, and Processed Foods
Animal products – Eliminate or limit animal products to 1-2 ounces per day of wild, low-mercury seafood or naturally raised fowl. Do not exceed 8-10 ounces per week for a woman and 10-12 ounces per week for a man. Avoid all animal products in phase one of the program, or if you are dealing with moderate or severe heart disease. Avoid whole milk, cheese, butter, and red meat. You can use nonfat dairy products could as a flavoring in small amounts once or twice a week.
Refined Grains, High Starch Carbs, and Sweeteners – Avoid all refined flour products, breads, white rice, white potatoes, precessed/cold breakfast cereals, sugar, and other sweetening agents.
Processed Foods – Read the label of packaged, processed products. Generally, avoid foods in packages. Note the sodium content of the packaged food items you purchase and look for foods that are labeled “no salt added” or “low sodium.” Be careful of products labeled “reduced sodium”; all that means is that they contain 25 percent less sodium per serving than the regular version of that food, which could still be very high.
Avoid soft drink, sports drink, or soda (regular or diet). No fruit juices.
The Eating Plan
- A few fresh fruits; or hot cereals made with intact grains; or squash-based breakfast soup; or baked eggplant
- Or a serving of coarsely ground whole grain bread with raw nut butter
- Try to eat one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds or chia seeds daily with breakfast
- Do not drink fruit juices
- A big salad with a nut/seed based dressing
- Vegetable bean soup
- One serving of fresh fruit
- A salad with a healthful dip
- A large plateful of steamed green vegetables
- A vegetable dish that has some starchy component or intact grain with it
- A small amount of fruit for dessert
You can make fruit sorbets and ice creams in minutes by blending frozen fruit with some nuts or seeds, some dried fruits, and a splash of nondairy milk.
Tips and Tricks for Nutritarian-Style Cooking
- Make smoothies and blended salads by blending together raw leafy green vegetables, fruits, and seeds and nuts
- Make salad dressing by blending nuts, seeds, and avocados
- Make creamy soups by blending raw nuts into the soup
- Make fruit sorbets and ice cream by blending frozen fruit, dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
Boil water in a pot with a tight lid, then add the vegetables, cover, and start your timer. Stop steaming when the veggies have just started to become tender and still retain some firmness.
Water-sautéing and Cooking with a Wok
Since you should limit oils in your diet, we recommend sautéing vegetables with water or cooking them in a wok. These methods are preferable to boiling, baking, or roasting.
To water-sauté, use a small amount of water to sauté; the vegetable, including onions and garlic. Heat a skillet, wok to high heat. Then add a tablespoon or two of water and add the vegetables and cook, covering occasionally. Add additional liquid as needed until the vegetables are tender, but don’t add too much water.
To wok or stir-fry, you cut ingredients into uniform-size pieces and give hard vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower a head start before adding other softer vegetables.
Do not overcook vegetables, which causes them to lose valuable nutrients.
Cooking with Herbs and Spices – for Flavor and Health
Learn to use flavorful herbs and spices instead of salt to season your foods. Turmeric is a popular Indian spice that has a warm, mild flavor resembling a cross between ginger and orange. It gives Indian curry its flavor and yellow color. Studies have shown that Turmeric contains curcumin, which may reduce inflammation, help fight infections and some cancers, and treat digestive problems.
Gingerroot has the ability to soothe nausea and gastrointestinal distress. Ginger helps to reduce the body’s inflammatory response.
The sweet-spicy flavor of cinnamon enhances the taste of entrees, breakfast, and desserts. For people with diabetes, cinnamon may play a role in regulating blood sugar because it contains phytochemicals that enhance insulin signaling and facilitate glucose uptake and storage by the body’s cells.
Radical Weight Reduction Menu
Sometimes, a radical nutritional intervention is needed:
- To save the life of a person who is at high, short-term risk
- For psychological reasons, to get some radical results up front
- Because of intolerable medication side effects
- For an upcoming surgery or medical procedure that is too dangerous to pursue at the present body weight.
For these and other reasons, a dietary design that is nutritionally superior yet more aggressively low in calories and glycemic load is needed. This takes the place of a fast or modified fast, and physicians can use it to achieve short- and long-term goals, as it is sage to maintain for extended periods or until the patient has lost the desired amount of weight. Weight loss of 40 pounds within the first two months can easily be achieved for obese individuals.
The only documented risk of rapid weight loss is gallstone formation, which I have seen only rarely with this approach. The high fiber and nutrient levels and the use of nuts and seeds all limit bile production and stone formation.
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.View our services
The easiest way to achieve this aggressive goal is to limit eating to two meals day. That means a late brunch around 10 am and an early dinner around 4 pm. When you do this, fat burn accelerates because you spend more time in the fat-burning phase of the digestive cycle. Once postprandial (after the meal) glucose levels have returned to baseline, the body increases its use of fat.
The design of the menus that follow allow for mazimum fat burn by limiting tiem spent eating and digesting food.
After the first three days, when withdrawal symptoms from unhealthy eating habits lessen considerably, you will not be uncomfortably hungry,.drinking a cup of lemon waterm green tea, or other herbal tea can help you avoid the desire to eat when you wake up in the monring. Note that this phase has only two fruit servings a day and a limited amount of nuts and seeds for further caloric reduction – usually 1 ounce for women and 1 1/2 ounces for men. Stay with this phase until you and your doctor decide you are out of danger. It is important not to consume more than a very limited amount of caffeine, as it will enhance withdrawal symptoms making it much harder to not eat.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries or pomegranate kernels, covered with flax, hemp, or chia milk (made by blending 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds with 1 cup water and , if desired, some cocoa powder)
- Raw greens such as romaine lettuce hearts, baby greens, sliced peppers, fennel, or celery
Choose one additional option:
- Oven-roasted, balsamic-glazed peppers, tomatoes, and onions with defrosted frozen asparagus or artichokes
- Eggplant baked until soft and served with water-sautéed or diced raw onions and cinnamon
- Zucchini steamed with dill and onion
- Edamame and frozen peas with roasted garlic
- A big green salad with lettuce, thin-sliced red onion, tomatoes, and other assorted vegetables and a healthy dressing.
- Or raw vegetables with a Nutritarian dip such as Italian Dressing with Roasted Garlic
Choose one or more of the following options:
- A bowl of vegetable bean soup
- Defrosted frozen green vegetable such as broccoli, kale, collard greens, bok choy, string beans, or artichokes, steamed or cooked in a wok. These should be made with steamed or water-sautéed mushrooms and can be flavored with mashed, roasted garlic, dry-pan-sautéed, or diced raw onions.
- One serving of a low-sugar fruit, such as a green apple, orange, two kiwis, or strawberries
Note that even foods that are moderately glycemic are reduced in this menu and are not included with breakfast because insulin resistance is highest in the morning.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: