Lesson Plan Outline
1) Anticipatory Set (focus) - We will be doing a “discovering children's knowledge” activity. Students will work in their “desk pod” groups and brainstorm everything they already know about plants. They will write it on a large piece of paper. Short class discussion and sharing of ideas to follow. 5 mins
Teacher: The teacher will ask the students to brainstorm the previous knowledge they already know. Write it down and the paper, please remain in desk and speak quietly. Once they are done, the teacher will tell them to put their hand up and tell all their ideas.
Student: Students will be in their desk and write out all their previous knowledge about plants. They will discuss quietly amongst each other. Then they will put their hands up during the class discussion to give their input.
Get your grade
or your money back
using our Essay Writing Service!
2) Purpose (objective) - 2 Power Point presentation will be presented to the students to display the information in a very basic, organized fashion. 10 mins
Teacher: will go through the powerpoint slowly and explain all the concepts, while taking questions and confirming the students understanding.
Student: Students will be quietly in their desks listening to the presentation. They will ask questions if need be, by putting up their hands and waited to be called on. They will answer the teacher if they are asked a question.
3) Input - Students will receive the two handouts. The first one will be the “Plant Communities of Alberta” that is for reference when studying, the second one is the “Group Research Project” and the Rubric for the assignment they will be working on later. 5 mins
Teacher: will hand out the paper and explain in detail what each of the papers are for, while taking any question the students have.
Student: The students will sit quietly while the teacher hand out the paper. The will be quiet while the teacher talks. If they have any questions they will put up their hands and wait to be called on.
4) Modeling (show) -We will then proceed to go to the computer lab and the teacher will explain the group project and show them how to research, by using the examples on the “Curriculum page.” 10 mins
Teacher: the teacher will lead the students to the lab. She will explain what their task at hand is going to be. She will sign on to the computer and show them how research is done on the computer/ internet. She will use google and also the curriculum page.
Student: The students will walk quietly to the lab and listen while the teacher talks. They will not be on the computers.
5) Guided Practice (follow me) -Students will each be on their own computer and they will follow as the teacher goes through each of the links on the curriculum page. We will also go through the information briefly on each website. 10 mins
Teacher: the teacher shows students how to log on and go to the internet, then get to the curriculum page or google.
Student: students will each be on their own computer and follow along step by step to see how it is done. Students will not be talking, and they can put their hands up if they have questions.
6) Checking For Understanding (CFU) - The kids will be sent to start researching on the computer. The teacher will go around to each group and ask if they understand, what they are planning on doing. Teacher will go over any questions they may have. 15 mins
Teacher: teacher will walk around the room and talk to each group/ student and ask them questions to confirm they know how to research, as well as confirming that they know what the project entails, and the objectives.
Students will be working in groups of four on one computer, taking turns being the controller, while organizing, discussing, and researching their project. Students will be expected to work in a proper manner, by not disrupting each other or other groups. They will ask the teacher if they have questions.
Always on Time
Marked to Standard
7) Independent Practice - Students will then carry on researching, and planning out the group project power point. They will have other days to work on it so they will only receive a set amount a time before we move on. Students will then have an evaluation. They will be doing a quiz and crossword online. 20 mins
Teacher: Teacher will be preparing the next part of the lesson, while keeping an eye on the students. As well as taking any questions the students have. Then the teacher will give the students the quiz and crossword to do online.
Students: Students will carry on working on the project the same way. The students will then work on the quiz and the crossword. They have done other ones online before and know how to do it. They will work individually and quietly.
8) Closure - We will go over the crossword and quiz as a class. Students will be assigned homework which will be to visit the website about planting gardens on the curriculum page, as we will be planting bean plants the next day. Also they will receive a handout of “Plant Structures Web” which they will fill out and hand in next class. 5 mins
Teacher:Will go over the assignments, and take any questions the students have.She will give them a hand out of the homework and explain the worksheet. Also she will explain why she wants the students to look at that website.
Student: Students will listen to the teacher quietly and wait for her to finish before they ask any questions.
THEORY INTO PRACTICE:
Which Learning Theory predominates your Lesson:
Identify the key factors influencing learning in your lesson. Where are these used in your lesson?
The key factor is students developing a power point presentation, and doing the quiz, crossword, and homework.
What is/are the teacher role[s] in your lesson.
Provide scenarios/ learning situations with stimuli, desired response, reinforcement patterns.
How is/are this/these role[s] accomplished. [in other words - Where is this demonstrated in your lesson? Be specific.]
Explain the performance objectives clearly to the learners. Provide appropriate stimuli to elicit desired responses from students. Generate performance objectives with the rubric made on Rubistar that will provide observable and measurable outcomes.
What type[s] of learning is/are best explained in your lesson:
Activities that require response to specific stimulus. Research project and Quiz, homework worksheet, and crossword.
State the teaching method[s] used in your lesson, and, for each, briefly explain how this/these method[s] relate to your lesson plan. [in other words, how is that method demonstrated in your lesson]:
Directed Instruction- Teacher will be going through Power Points with the students, then showing them how to research. Also they will be given skill worksheets.
Programmed Instruction- I will go through step by step how to do research on the internet.
Individualized Instruction- Children will be doing quiz and crossword individually.
State all the teaching strategies used in your lesson, and, for each strategy, explain how these strategies relate to your lesson plan. [in other words, how are the strategies demonstrated in your lesson]:
Use of computer to provide immediate feedback to strengthen response- (Quiz online (HOT POTATOES))
Establish complex behaviors by using simple behaviors already known by subject- (Anticipatory Set followed by teacher presenting powerpoints with new information.)
Interpersonal- is used when students have the class discussion, and when they are in their groups.
Verbal- Linguistic- students will be learning with crosswords, and we will then go over the crosswords and discuss the answers.
Visual Spatial- this is used when students plan and develop their power point presentations.
Content resources (books, handouts, materials, etc.) -
“Let's Do Science” Grade 4 - Plant Growth and Changes (Science Alberta Foundation)- Sciencealberta.org, Curriculum Page Websites
Hardware (computers, TV, VHS, etc) -
Computer, Projector, Projection Screen, Speakers, printer
Software/Web Resources (CD- ROM's, URLs, graphics, pictures, etc.) -
This Essay is
a Student's Work
This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.Examples of our work
Powerpoint, Google, YouTube, Webspiration, Facebook, Hot Potatoes, Clip Art- Microsoft, Excel, Word, Rubistar, NVU
Other media, video, satellite, etc.-
Before beginning the new lesson, I am going to ask them what they already know about plants to judge how much previous knowledge they have. While we are going through the Power Point I will have questions for them, which I will ask out loud and they will raise their hands if they know the answer. During the research portion I will be confirming they understand. While we go over the quiz and crossword I will be asking them for the answers and confirming they understand each answer. I will give them a hand out to start working on in class and finish for homework to see if they retained the information that was given in class. We will go over it the beginning of the next class.
STUDENT DETERMINED CONTENT:
Name your student determined content :
Mircrosoft Excel- Attendance -Computer, used by teacher- who's there or not
Mircrosoft Excel- Gradebook- Computer, used by teacher-what marks people received
Microsoft Office Word- Group Project- Computer, printer, paper- used by student-to inform students of project
Hot Potatoes- JCROSS- Computer, used by student- to evaluate students
Hot Potatoes- JQUIZ- Computer, used by student- to evaluate students
Webspirations- Plant Communities of Alberta- Computer, printer, paper- Student- to inform students
Webspirations- Plant Structure- Computer, printer, paper- Student- to evaluate students
Rubistar Website- Rubric- Computer, printer, paper- Student and teacher- to mark students and make them aware of how they will be graded
Microsoft Office Word- Seating Plan- Computer, used by teacher-so the teacher is aware of everyone's seats
Reference of Websites used on project: