This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.
Big 5 Sporting Goods is one of Americas top retailers of name brand sporting goods and accessories. With 384 locations spread throughout 11 western states you can find a convenient location near you using our store locator here.
We provide a full-line product offering in a traditional sporting goods store format that averages approximately 11,000 square feet. Our product mix includes athletic shoes, apparel and accessories, as well as a broad selection of outdoor and athletic equipment for team sports, fitness, camping, hunting, fishing, tennis, golf, snowboarding and in-line skating.
Amer Sports' offering of sports equipment, apparel, footwear, and accessories covers a wide range of sports, including tennis, badminton, golf, American football, soccer, baseball, basketball, skiing, snowboarding, fitness training, cycling, running, hiking, and diving. Currently, its largest geographical markets in terms of sales are the United States, France, Germany, Japan and Canada. In recent years, Amer Sports has also increased its presence in emerging markets, such as China, Russia, and Brazil.
Amer Sports sells its products to trade customers (including sporting goods chains, specialty retailers, mass merchants, fitness clubs, and distributors) and, to a lesser extent, directly to consumers through brand stores, factory outlets, and online. Amer Sports' sales network comprises sales offices in 29 countries in all the key sporting goods markets around the world, which are serviced through the company's regional distribution centers. Amer Sports sources a significant portion of its products from Asia and Eastern Central Europe. Amer Sports has a sourcing organization in Hong Kong which manages the Group's daily sourcing activities in Asia. In addition, Amer Sports operates its own production facilities in Europe and North America.
Amer Sports is determined to continue to compete successfully in the sporting goods industry, which is highly competitive and consolidating. Amer Sports will continue to introduce new, innovative products in response to changes in consumer preferences, technology, and industry trends. Amer Sports' vision is to be the leading company in the sporting goods industry, fueled by authentic brands that inspire athletic achievement and enjoyment.
Amer Sports had a turnover of 1.5 billion euros and a market capitalization of 0.8 billion euros in 2009. At the end of the year, Amer Sports employed 6,331 people.
Welcome to Modells.com, the online store for Modell's Sporting Goods
Modell's Sporting Goods is the nation's oldest, family-owned and operated, retailer of sporting goods, sporting apparel, menswear and brand name athletic footwear. Modells.com currently offers a large collection of products from top name brands in the sporting goods and apparel business. Please note, not all products offered on this site are available in our stores, and not all products in our stores are available on this site. Due to the unique nature of some products and limited availability, product selection will vary. Your input into our development is very important to us; if you have any comments and/or suggestions for our web site, send them to [email protected]
Under the name Modell's Sporting Goods, Henry Modell & Company, Inc. and its affiliates operate over 140 stores throughout New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Virginia, Rhode Island and the District Of Columbia. To find a store nearest you, for our Store Locator.
Modell's, founded in 1889 by Morris A. Modell, had its first store located on Cortlandt Street in lower Manhattan. Four generations of the Modell family have developed the family business into a chain of stores located in the northeast.
To our customers, the name Modell's Sporting Goods means many things. It means shopping from the oldest and one of the most trusted names in the industry. It means selection, quality, value, and superior customer service - all backed by dedicated Associates who are willing to go that extra step to guarantee Total Customer Satisfaction.
This level of commitment to excellence has been the cornerstone by which Modell's Sporting Goods was founded and has grown. Modells.com delivers to your desktop the power of online shopping, combined with the convenience and support of brick and mortar locations.
Much has changed at Modell's Sporting Goods, but what has remained consistent for over 118 years of retailing has been our commitment to bringing you Total Customer Satisfaction.
Modell's Sporting Goods
498 Seventh Avenue 20th Floor
The ‘Sporting Goods Services' has been in operation for 50 years. This company specialize the area of manufacturing and variety of sporting goods for sale both within the county and worldwide. They are the one who manufacturing goods of a high quality and sell for a premium price.
To re-arrange the operation of the ‘SGS' Company , overcome the challenges of the company and achieve the business goals of the company it is must to have a better understanding of the process.
The following SWOT analysis will provide clear specification about the company. SWOT is a business analysis method which is used to indentify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. To become a pioneer in the industry as a business organization, it is must to identify the weaknesses and threats and also, using strength and opportunities it can be survived in the industry.
- ‘SGS' Specializes in both areas of ‘manufacturing and sale'
- ‘SGS' has in operation for 50 years, it indicates their reputation and also they have already reach to the regional and worldwide market
- ‘SGS' has three sites which currently in operation of manufacturing and sales of goods and also equipment
- Since, they have three sites they have well skilled staff, they know the process of the SGS well
- These manufacturing sites already specialized their services, so it is easy to earn profit
- Existing working practices are very old
- Old machinery/equipment
- Production process is very slow
- As a result, final cost of product is expensive than the competitors
- Low sales and market shares
- Conflicts between trade unions and management
- No standard of health and safety laws
- Employees moral is low
- No proper working schedules
- Loss of overtime working
- The manufacturing process of SGS can be rescheduled. Instead of manual processes can be computerized, to make it quick
- Searching new markets like, due to building new residential sites market can be expand
- Reducing prices and produce diversified product
- Held market promotions /advertise
- Provide facilities to employees to build up morale.
- Start online business using e-commerce, it will leads to more customer oriented service.
- Competitors produce the same product with low price, comparing with SGS
- Skilled/experienced staff have less moral and may be heave the ‘SGS'
- Sites B and C or both may have to be sold due to construction of residential houses.
- Currently Managing Director has retired, no one to achieve goals or views
- No process for marking and achieving competitors
Organization Chart of The Company
Sam's Sporting Goods Services Company is a recognized company since past 50 years to provide the sporting goods to the customers. The company is carrying out their functions with the help of three sites known as Site A, Site B & Site C.
The Chairperson holds the authority of the company. All the high level and long-term decisions are made by the Chairperson with the help of the Board of the directors. The Managing Director is involving to coordinate the functions of the company.
The Site A is incorporating with the head office. It is doing their functions separately with separate departments. However, the other sites such as Site B and Site C are directly connecting with the Head office. In addition, the management of the Head office coordinates the main functions of the Site B & C. A General Manager mainly powers each site. To assist the departments of the Site A, there are several managers for each department such as Sales & Marketing, Production, finance & Purchasing.
The Head office consists of Site B & C. It is operating with the help of Sales & Marketing, Production, Finance & Operational managers. The head office and the department managers will handle both sites. However, each site has a general manager and a Production manager. The production staff is functioning underneath the production manager.
1. When introducing activities re-scheduling, the time taken for the process of the activities can be reduced. It will leads to loss of overtime working hours of the employees. Then , it may be resistance of the employee due to missing their overtime
Method: to satisfy employees, salary can be increased
2. When re-scheduling activities, instead of manual processors, computerized processors can be introduced. Most of the workers reluctant to work with new technology and they are resist to change. They will join with the unions and take actions like, going on strike etc.
Method: Provide training with ICT/ Make aware of unions leaders about new working practices and through them, inform the employees
3. When re-structuring activities, the positions and hierarchies, working places and their old environment may be changed. People reluctant to move from one place to another.
Method: When changing hierarchy, discuss with employees, provide necessary promotions with knowledge and experience and provide them better equipment and places better than previous.
4. People will reluctant to change the management process. As well as here, there are people specialize in one area. They will demand their work due to specialize. Instead of this introducing overall specialization. Some will not satisfy to share their knowledge with others
Method: Introduce tight management and supervisory schemas and provide kind of discount system for when increase the target goods.
To complete this assignment successfully I've referred the following resources.
- Searching for Google web site