What is Leadership?
At the start of this essay I would like to give my own definition of leadership. According to me "leadership is stepping forward in a group of people to take initiative when you feel there is a need to change." The ability to influence a group toward the achievement of a particular goal. The problem with the study of leadership is that leadership is expressed in many different ways and places. Leadership may vary from people to people, some of the different approaches towards leadership are:-
Trait and skill.
B O D Y
A man is only a leader when followers stands beside him. Many of the different scholars have given different view point about leadership and some of the more definitions are:-
Get your grade
or your money back
using our Essay Writing Service!
""The only definition of a leader is someone who has followers." ... John C Maxwell"
"Leadership is an influence relationship among leaders and followers who intend real changes that reflect their mutual purposes" â€¦ Joseph Rost's
There are many leaders born and died in this world. They played a significant role in the history. Their style of leadership were different but the things that were common amongst them were they were leaders and they had followers. Some of the famous leaders are:-
Sir Alexander Fleming (Nobel Prize winner for Physiology or medicine 1945).
Mother Terresa (Nobel Peace Prize 1979).
Mohan Dass Karam Chand Gandhi.
PRINCIPLES OF LEADERSHIP
1. Know yourself and seek self-improvement. A good leader should know about himself first, he should know what are his strengths and weaknesses. What are the things that he already possess and on what things he has to work on? This is possible by continually strengthening your attributes by reading and self-study.
2. Be technically proficient. As a leader, you must know your job and have a solid familiarity with your employees' jobs.
3. Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions. A good leader should find ways to guide your organization to new heights. And when things go wrong, do not blame others.
4. Make sound and timely decisions. Decision making is the most important part of leadership. A leader is always known for its decision making. The decision should be correct and timely.
5. Set the example. A good leader should be a good role model for employees. He should always lead by examples. Setting examples is the best way to inspire your people.
6. Know your people and look out for their well-being. Know human nature and the importance of sincerely caring for your workers.
7. Keep your people informed. Communication is also a very important part of the leadership. A leader should always inform his employees what is need to be done and what are the requirements of a task?
8. Develop a sense of accountability, ownership and responsibility in your people. These traits will help them carry out their professional responsibilities.
9. Ensure that tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished. Communication is the key to this responsibility.
10. Train your people as a team. By developing team spirit, you will be able to employ your organization, department, section, etc. to its fullest capabilities.
CHARACTERISTICS, QUALITIES AND TRAITS OF GOOD LEADERSHIP
1. Authenticity:- The leadership begins and ends with authenticity."
2. Desire to Serve Others "A leader should always have a desire to serve others only then he can be a successful leader."
3. Empowering People "A leader should always motive his employees and makes gives them the feeling that they can do it. They are more interested in empowering the people they lead to make a difference than they are in power, money, or prestige for themselves."
4. Guided by Heart, passion and compassion "They are as guided by qualities of the heart, by passion, and compassion, as they are by qualities of the mind."
5. Recognize their shortcomings "Authentic leaders use their natural abilities, but they also recognize their shortcomings and work hard to overcome them."
Always on Time
Marked to Standard
6. Lead with Purpose "They lead with purpose, meaning and values."
7. Build Enduring Relationships "They build enduring relationships with people."
8. Clear Where They Stand "Others follow them because they know where they stand."
9. Refuse to Compromise "When principles are tested, they refuse to compromise."
10. Develop Themselves "Authentic leaders are dedicated to developing themselves because they know that becoming a leader takes a lifetime of personal growth."
STYLES OF LEADERSHIP
Autocratic:- This style of leadership means "boss people around". In this style of leadership leader always stands on the head of his followers and tell them what he wants them to do, not only that he always keeps an eye on them whether they are doing their job correctly or not.
Democratic:- In this style of leadership the leader always wants his followers to take part in the decision making and always asks their suggestions. However, only the leader has the final decision making authority.
Delegative:- In this style, the leader allows the employees to make the decisions. However, the leader is still responsible for the decisions that are made. This is used when employees are able to analyze the situation and determine what needs to be done and how to do it.
EXAMPLES OF TWO GOOD LEADERS
SUNIL BHARTI MITTAL
Suni Mittal is an Indian telecom mogul, philanthropist and the founder, Chairman and Managing Director of Bharti Enterprises The US$7.2 turnover company runs India's largest GSM-Based mobile phone service. Sunil Mittal, was born in Ludhiana, Punjab, India. His father, Sat Paul Mittal had been the Member of Parliament (M.P) from Ludhiana. He first joined the Vineberg Allen, Mussorie, but later attended Scindia School at Gwalior and he graduated in 1976 from Panjab University, Chandigarh, with a Bachelor of Arts and Science.
He started his first business alongwith his brothers in 1980 of Import Enterprise named Bharti Overseas Corporation. In 1981, he purchased importing licences from exporting companies in Punjab. He then imported Suzuki Motor's power generators from Japan. In 1992, he successfully bid for one of the four mobile phone network licences auctioned in India.Mittal built the Bharti group along with his brothers Rakesh and Rajan, becoming India's largest mobile phone operator in just ten years. The UK-based renamed flagship company Bharti Airtel. The group also has partnerships with Axa for insurance and with the Rothschild family. Airtel now serves over 110 million Indian customers - becoming the largest telecom operator in India.
AWARDS TO SUNIL MITTAL & Airtel
He was selected as one of the top entrepreneur of the world for the year 2000 by BUSINESS WEEK.
His company Airtel has won the 'Most Preferred Cellular Service Provider Brand' award at the CNBC Awaaz Consumer Awards in Mumbai.
Bharti Airtel has received the prestigious Businessworld-FICCI-SEDF Corporate Social Responsibility Awards 2009-2010
Maurice Mcdonald was born on 26-11-1902 and died on 11-12-1971. He was the founder of the fast food chain of McDonald's alongwith his brother Richard McDonald's. They opened their first restaurant at San Bernadino, California in 1940. Originally from Manchester, New Hampshire, the McDonald brothers began franchising their restaurant chain in 1953, beginning in Phoenix, Arozina with Neil Fox. At first, they only franchised the system, rather than the name and atmosphere of their restaurant. It has been said that when Richard went to check on Fox, he was shocked to see an exact replica of his San Bernardino store, right down to the name "McDonald's". When he asked Fox why he had kept the same design and name, rather than calling the restaurant "Fox's," Fox said "Why change it? It's great as it is". From then on, the brothers started franchising the entire concept.
The San Bernardino store was demolished in 1976 and the site was sold to the Juan Pollo restaurant chain to serve as their corporate headquarters. There is a private museum on site Only part of the original sign remains of the first McDonald's, but plans exist for a company-sponsored museum.
In 1984, having been the first cook behind the grill, Richard McDonald served the ceremonial 50,000,000,000th (50 billionth) McDonald's.
This Essay is
a Student's Work
This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.Examples of our work
Still at present McDonald's burgers are famous all over the world. They are the leaders in making different kind of burger and satisfying their customers ever since they have started their fast food chain.
Awards to McDonald's
The three awards were presented to McDonald's UAE, for its "Outstanding Contribution to International Training 2003", "Outstanding Contribution to McDonald's International Training Classes 2003" and "Outstanding Contribution to McDonald's Middle East Region 2003
Creativity Award Winner for Fresh Salad - 2008.
PART - B
In the magazine 'USA Today' there was a small "snapshot" that presented the results of a survey to 1200 workers asking them about their top workplace frustrations. The top five findings were:
Poor communication by senior management-17%
It is very simple that poor communication by senior management in an organization will always take the organization to downfall just because the lower level will is not the decision making authority in any organization there are some key points on which they would always look upwards towards the senior management to ask for, what they should do in some particular problems? The senior management are more qualified and experience peoples in the organization and that is why the their leadership is more important to the other staff.
Office politics is also a very big factors which take a task to downfall because office politics always divide people instead of doing a team work. Office politics means division and it is a common saying that "United we stand and Divided we fall".
Lack of Team Work
If there are two groups A & B and in group A there are some individual geniuses and in Group B there are some good team workers and one task is given to both the groups it is for sure that the group B will do the task more correctly and efficiently without much trouble instead of group A just because the group A people will take other's opinion in action. They always want to put them first rather than thinking of their team's success.
Politically correct language
This makes a good impact on organization. At any point one might find themselves on either or even more sides of political correctness depending upon the culture standards of the time. While an individual may not change their particular view or ideology. They may be able to find themselves on the wrong side of the political correct or incorrect battle for ascendancy.
It is also a very big factor for a task downfall because there may be certain situations in an organization which you does not like it and there are some people in an organization who feel jealous from other's success. Quarrelling or leg pulling will not take any organization to success but it will take them to downfall.
In the conclusion I would like to state that Leaders are born and not made. Not every individual can become a leader it's a special quality that very a few posses. This topic has no end the more you discuss about it the more you want to know about it, you can stretch is as much as you can. A good Leader can take an organization to success and a bad leader can push the organization to a pit. A leader can change the whole organization he can take the organization to sky high from the earth.