This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.
Al- Tayer group has headquarters located in Dubai, UAE with presence in operation in 12 countries in Middle East and beyond. It was established in 1979 and is private firm. It has 7900 employees of various nationalities.
Businesses operated by Al Tayer Group are highly focused on quality in various fields like sales and services, automobile, cosmetics, interior contracting, perfumes and luxury.
Portfolio of this group includes many leading brands e.g. Bvlgari, Ford, Ferrari, Gap, Gucci, Maserati, Harvey Nichols, Banana Republic and Armani.
It operates in over in various markets in Middle East and have 180 stores. Apart from this they invest in supply chain management, travel agency services, real estate and tools manufacturing.
The companies that Al Tayer group has are:
- Al Tayer Motors: it was established in 1982 which represents American and European manufacturers like Ford, Jaguar and Land Rover.
- Al Tayer Insignia: it is the luxury retail company of the group which is the largest in the Middle East. It represents the brand Harvey Nichols, Gucci, Armani etc.
- Al Tayer trends: it started in 2006 and represents 16 brands across four divisions of food and beverage, beauty, home and fashion which reflect the diversity in this segment.
- Al Tayer Tijariya: it is the leading distributor in the Middle East of cosmetics, perfumes and accessories. It solely distributes 50 international brands.
Their mission revolves around passion trust and relationships. They want to be excellent in everything they do to get success. Their target market is vast and they have targeted males and females both by producing both cosmetics and automobiles. Their target market includes males and females of age above 20 and upper middle class.
Job position that company wishes to fill is Project Engineer (Interior Fitout)
Job Description: at Al Tayer Stocks we are looking for a project Engineer who can join the team and implement our programs for project in a manner that is organized and cost effective on site. The responsibilities would be:
- Assessing the material and employee requirement of a project accurately
- Obtaining project’s drawings
- Assist in preparing the accurate program of project
- Regularly supervising the site
- Updating client on the progress of project
- Ensure that project according to the desires of client
- Track the milestones and deliverables of the project.
Job specification: Qualified Civil Engineer with an experience of 3 to 5 years in successful projects, in handling small to medium sized projects, in handling responsibilities as a project engineer.
You must have good communication skills and people management skills along with an eye for detail and exposure of the environment of site. These are the qualities that we seek in you.
It was an informational interview and the questions I asked were as follows:
- What is the nature of business of Al Tayer Group?
- In how many countries do you have operations?
- How many employees work here? (rough idea)
- What is your core competency?
- Which brand is most famous in the Middle East?
- How many portfolios of products you have?
- What is your target market? Lower middle class or upper middle class?
- How is business managed here with so many branches and stores and outlets?
- How do you keep your employees satisfied? Do you offer them compensation?
- What is the working culture here?
- How do you manage your employees who have different nationalities and culture?
SITUATIONAL INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:
- Suppose that in a project, the team you are provided includes a member with whom you never able to build good working relations. Explain how would deal with this member?
- Suppose you are working on a major project but suddenly the priority of the project changes. What would you do?
- Suppose that you introduces a new policy which you team member are unwilling to accept. Describe how would you handle resistance of your team members?
- If you found out that a team member is not working up to the standard. What would you do?
- Tell me about a time where you had to face a major client who was not satisfied with your work even though you put all your energy and time?
Two Employees whom I interviewed:
- Samantha Allen:
She is the HR executive at Al Tayer group and has remained senior recruitment consultant at Charterhouse, recruitment consultant accounting and finance at Parkside Recruitment. She has more than 500 connections
She has a 6 year experience of working at Al Tayer Group. According to her Al Tayer group has a portfolio of remarkable brands that are very famous in the world in fashion, home and luxury categories. Operations have been expanded in more than 12 countries successfully.
She have skills in executive search, human resources, recruiting, talent management, interviews, technical recruiting, employee relations, employee engagement, employee benefits, behavioral interviewing, interviewing skills, competency based interviewing.
- Halyna Kitor:
She is the GM human resources at Al Tayer Group and has past working experience at Harrods as human resources advisor. She got her education from Thames valley university, university college Kenosington and Lviv university of Ivan Franko. She has 339 connections.
She has been employed at Al Tayer from last 8 years and 10 months starting in October 2005. According to her Al Tayer group is a very large and expanded privately held company with a culture where people from different nationalities can work with ease. There are 7900 employees working at Al Tayer Group.
She has skills in employee relations, employee engagements, employee benefits, talent management and recruitment.
I will ask these questions from both Samantha Allen and Halyna Kitor:
- What is your age?
- What’s your ethnicity?
- What is your employment status?
- What is your marital status?
- What is your employment status?
- How happy are you with your job?
- How do you feel about the benefits provided to you at Al Tayer?
- What would you change if you were the owner of the company?
- How is your experience working with company?
- Do you get appreciation for your work?
- Do you feel accomplished?
- Do you feel encouraged to come up with new ideas and presenting it?
- Does company keep you informed about matters that directly affect you?
- Are you satisfied with your involvement in decisions that affect your work?
- Is the work environment comfortable?
Analysis and Findings:
According to them they both are having a very good working experience of at Al Tayer Group because of flexible timings and a great team to work with. There is so much work in a day that it’s sometimes hard but they never get bored. They even get a chance to participate in various different projects and always enjoy them. They have learned a great deal from the diverse culture of the group.
They found all employees at Al Tayer very co-operative and they both have good working relations with managers and other departments as well. They both found their job difficult and challenging at the start but that’s the case everywhere as adjusting in a new environment is always hard, but once adjusted it was fun working at Al tayer.
As both of them are in HR department they have to deal with people every day. Being a large and extended group, job gets tiring but they both have love for dealing with people so they enjoy it as every day they get a chance to meet new people from different countries from all over the world.
The management at Al Tayer is very supportive and makes sure that the culture and values of the company are followed at all time. They give a very good learning environment and also provide good opportunities and gives value to quality customer service more than anything else. They are open to change and enjoys a good mixture of Arab and west culture.
Although they both are satisfied with their jobs and are motivated to work with Al Tayer but some issues that I found are that Al Tayer group doesn’t provide its employees with long term opportunities for their senior staff and they need to learn a balanced way to manage people to make sure that employees at all level are satisfied.
The progress in company is very slow and it’s very difficult to get promotion as there are 7900 employees in this group. As there is a lack of management in the group it often happens that one employee or another doesn’t get promotion or reward for hard work.
Conclusion and Recommendation:
I will recommend the Al Tayer group to:
- Provide more opportunities to its employees so that they can grow their career while working at Al Tayer
- Learn to manage people effectively as Al Tayer is a multi diverse group with employee from 100 different nationalities. When there are employees from so many different nations in one place there is always a conflict of interest an Al Tayer should find effective ways to deal with its employees.
- Being a large group, decision making process here is very slow and most of the views and ideas of employees at lower level are ignored which de motivated them. So in order to be even more successful in future, Al Tayer needs to make sure that employees at all level are satisfied with the working environment they are provided and that they get a chance to speak up.