Outline: Behaviors related to the use of urban facilities at Le Van Tam park (strength areas)
According WHO, physical inactivity is a main contributor to death and disability from lifestyle-living diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure worldwide. Promoting the level of physical activities is one of the priority tasks. Creating the built environment or facilities in the park to encourage the physical activity level is more necessary in ho chi minh city due to there has been increasing in sedentary job and dependence on motorbike. Recent studies documented that the recreational facilities give significant contributions to the physical activities level by adults . According to McKenzie, community parks have potential settings to promote the physical activities of people, regardless to age, gender. Despite some type of parks has been built to encourage the physical activities level near the residence in ho chi minh city such as Le Van Tam park, Gia Dinh park,… However, no research on how characteristics of these places can affect PA levels Vietnam in general, Ho Chi Minh in particular. Thus, the purpose of this study to understand the relationship between built environments and physical activities level.
- Raise questions:
Get your grade
or your money back
using our Essay Writing Service!
+ How are people able to access the park in general, the strength area in particular?
+Who are the users of strength area?
+ Do people socialize when they exercise ?
+ How frequently are strength area used
+ What affect has built environments the use of urban facilities?
+ How does it affect the frequence of use?, the effective of use , the satisfactory of the use
- Objectives: to understand effects the built environments on the use of urban facilities: case study in Le Van Tam park.
+ to ascertain the effect of built environments on the use of urban facilitie
+ to determine the ways in which built environments affect the physical activities
- Hypothesis: the improving of the built environment, or recreation facilities can improve physical activities.
- Purpose: The purpose of this study to understand the relationship between built environments and physical activities level. From this, whether this form of park can apply more parks in ho chi minh city.
The methodology provides an understanding of how the research was carried out and organized in order to obtain information that could be useful for understanding the relationship ….in Le Van Tam park. The methodogy is based in interview with strength area, questionnaire, and obsevations. The following part will provide the chracteristics of the research carried out, explain the survey methods used to obtain information from users, describe how the data was collected and processed, detail how participants were selected and approached, and describe how the data obtained was analyszed.
The research involves a study of strength area in which observation and some note taking was applied to get information from different plaza users. A total 3 small interviews and 24 users to do questionnaire were conducted randomly in study area at different hours of the day among different age-group users.
In this study, . The research process consisted several steps:
Step 1: Observation and small interview
Step 2: Preparation for survey
Step 3: Survey through questionnaire
Always on Time
Marked to Standard
Step 4: Photograph analysis
Observation of users:
- The initial observation was carried out on Thursday, 13 November 2014, followed by a second visit on Friday, 14 November 2014 to get information related to area.
- The user survey was conducted on Sunday in the morning and in the afternoon, 15 November 2014
- The activity audit was carried out after survey on Sunday morning and afternoon, 23 November and on Monday morning, 24 November, from 6:45am to 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to 6h30 pm to count the number of people participating in the activity by gender.
- The sec
- The combination observation and survey through questionnaire:
In field work, the fixed area was choosen through the observation in the first time.
Field-based observations were initially developed during the morning and afternoon hours in Thursday and Friday.
Some crucial problems that were observed in the study area were the following:
+ which area, facilities people use the most
+ Observed physical qualities and quantities
+ Gender and age
+ Social interaction
+ Security of the area
+ Counting the number of people using the recreational facilities
- Questionnaire: The number of particiapnts surveyed for this research was 25 users. Strength area users were approached while doing their regular exercise. If they were exercising, permission was asked if interview could be conducted while doing exercise, which they agreed. People that were generally sitting for resting also asked. When approach, the academic purpose of doing questionnaire was explained: it was mentioned that the questionnaire were for assignments.
- Indicator, Variable:
Frequency of use
- By means of transportation
- How long?( minuites?
- The number of people participate in activities
- Group or alone
- Age( years old
The data from questionnaire was entered in Excel and analyzed using that program
Due to limitations on time, there were some errors in my data collection
- Behaviors related to the use of urban facilities at Le Van Tam park
Counting, Mapping, Photographing, Keeping a diary, Questionnaire
- What is known ? ïƒ what is unknown
- Public space is defined as “all areas that are open and accessible to all member of the public in a society, in principle though not necessarily in practice”(Orum and Neal 2010:p.1). The other definition of PPS, 2000 that public space cover outdoors environments, which generally give relief from urban hectic life. According to Josph Rowntree foundation in “ The social value of public space”, include high streets, streets markets, shopping preincts, community centres, parks, playgrounds, and neighbourhood spaces in residential area.
- Physical activities in general, doing exercise in private
- The definition of physical activities according to WHO organization
Public space play an crucial role in community life. ( why is important?)( the contribution of public spaces to community These places are places for people gather to meet, hear, listen exchange information. Many research show that the contributions of the public space to physical activity, that means(In this part, I will write every thing about the public space I know, the purpose of publice place, why every body, or urban designer have to concern aboutu the public space design) Public space is a place that people can accessibly easily with low or no cost, or create space for everybody to have a lace to sit, to listen, to see, to hear , to exchange information. In my experience, I always choose a place where I can see the large vision, may be the purpose of unique situation will be varied, but have to some criteria to satisft the human’s need)(what is characteristic of good public space)
This Essay is
a Student's Work
This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.Examples of our work
There are many benefits from public place generaly, especially parks:
- Social benefit
+ Creating stable neighborhoods with strong community. Park is an ideal environment / places for everybody meet with others as well as encourage social sustainability.All groups of society, regardless to age, income, status, religion or ethnic background, can participant in any activities which are offered in the park.In the park, everybody have in common somehow such as to reduce the stress, relax, or simply do exercise,… Each individual has unique purposes when they go into the park, but actually they want to satisfy their demand, their feeling(what is human demand?) People gather information though many sense such as seeing, hearing, … to collect information, experience. In the park, one of the form of simple public space, by observing or listening contact, people can have theirself experience. Most of important information can collect information about people and the society around us. . In human’s basic demand, In the park, people have more opportunities to meet each others, leads to the increasing face-to-face interaction, whichs is important skills/ demand. Two kinds of social contact: Passive and active. With passive contact, with the condition of the parks, where many events are occurring, individual use human sense of hear, sense of listen, sense of watch , they can observe and gather information about people and society around us. With active contact, just simply small talks or conversations, or more simply greeting each others, they can oper more opportunities to met the same topics to discuss.
Social capital, which is defined as the relationships among people that make productive activity more easily, may be related to health and physical activity. ( How can I understand this sentence)( what connection between increasing social benefit form park and social capital)
- Public health benefits:
+ Physical activity makes people healthier
+ Access to park increases frequency of exercise. Strong proof shows that when people have access to parks, they exercise more. In a study published by the CDC, access to places for physical activity more easily led to a 25.6 percent increase in the percentage of people exercising on three or more days per week.
+ Exposure to nature and greenery makes people healthier.From the study in American, they found that contact with the natural world improves physical and psychological health.
- Environment benefit
+ Reducing Pollution
+ Making the atmosphere cool
Parks may be play significant role in reducing environment pollution. Air pollution is one of serious problems has caused many permanent or temprorary disease such as coughing, headaches, lung, throat, and respiratory and cancer .Tree in the park somehow can reduce the level of air pollution by absorbing dirty hatj . Moreover, significant number of trees in the park will convent the atmosphere which be cleaner, cooler.
- What is recreation facilities
- What I will write in literature review is that I have to find out the case study has the same condition in ho chi minh park? The living condition is the same?the park is in the central city
- Ho Chi Minh nowadays has emerging developed
công viên Gia Äá»‹nh, 23/9, Lê VÄƒn Tám, Tao Äàn là 4 công viên Ä‘áº§u tiên áp dá»¥ng loáº¡i hình này.
The first observation, I just focus on what happening in the strength area, I don’t do count the number of people do to have general information about study area. The first observation during weekends, I recognized that among children the frequency of park use was higher during the weekends as compared with weekday.
What I see when I observe 1.5 days , during 1 hours during in the morning and In the afternoon. The first observation, each morning at 7:00 am, I started counting during 10 minuites, the result is that the number of mal is more than female. But around 8:00 am, the number of female is more than male. Maybe the number of female from other activities occurring in the park.
Unluckily, I observed one day with inclined limate, with slightly raining , but surprisingly, the number of people taking part in the strength area is 19, including 3 female. The same with the results form “ using observational methods to evaluate public open spcaes and physical activity in brazi;”. The number of physically active individuals vary significantly according to the periods of the day and the days of the weekend.
- Mc Kenzie et al have documented that men were more physically active than women.
- Mc Kenzie et al found that the purpose of using park and the physical acitivty levels vary following different time
- Many research show that the significant contribution of park facilities to physical activities 
 Paul, “The Benefits of Parks: Why Ameica Needs More City Parks and Open Space.”