This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.
Title- Internet and Telecommunication and New Effects.
Voice over Internet Protocol
The world has become a very small place to live in for those staying in different corners of the world and this had only become possible due to the presence of Internet Technology and the linked telecommunications that have made communication so easier by bringing in the concept of Voice over Internet Protocol commonly known as VOIP. This concept is a new one as it is a perfect combination of information technology in the form of internet and telecommunication which has become a compulsory part of the modern life of the people around the world. The VOIP is also known as Internet Protocol Telephony and basically helps to make telephone calls using Internet Connection. The issues and advantages of the above system are being compared and contrasted hereunder.
VOIP is one of the latest technologies that helps the people to make calls using their broadband connections rather than telephones lines. This mode of telecommunication is perfumed with the help of information technology and internet connection. The mechanism of this system is that it seems to transform sound into electrical signals which can be transmitted over the internet. The voice is transferred in the form of data packets from one person to another. The report generally deals with the degree of convenience which VOIP provides and what are the threats involved in this way of communication which are mainly issues involved in this mode of telecommunication via internet. The report also discusses the methods that could be adopted to protect the issues in relation to those that would arise out of the VOIP.
The areas covered under this report are
- The benefits and convenience that VOIP had brought to the telecommunication world and how had it made it easier.
- The issues such as security risks, power outages, denial of services and others and what are the ways in which such issues could be solved to benefit the users.
- The various strengths and weakness of this technology will be highlighted in the project.
VoIP is as understood routing of voice communication through a digital and IP based network. But along with the rise of VoIP there had also been rise in the security issues arising out of the technology just as any other technology, but as the system is quite in use there are continuous efforts to deal with the issues arising in the VoIP system. The whole process of VoIP deals with software, hardware and protocols such there is a transfer of voice in the form of data packets and the system of VoIP adds complexities to the system which in return create issues. This technology was first started in 1973 in the form of “ARPANET” where internet was used for telecommunication process. Talking about the benefits that VoIP offers is the increase in the functionality and areas which could not be covered telephone network lines. VoIP is generally famous for making long distance calls at no or very low cost which makes it popular among the people. The application such as “SKYPE” is one of the most common used VoIP systems around the world and the reason is that due to economical nature of the system. (Tanase, 2004)
The operation of VoIP generally requires a complex series of packet data being exchanged continuously which is done with the use of IP address of the systems connected. The voice is converted in the form of data packages through the use of Real Time Transfer Protocols. The problem in the system also arises due to the lack of available bandwidth at the time when the need for it occurs; also the packets are being transferred from one route to other which serves as a problem for the system. Thus the process of telecommunication through internet involves various complexities which give rise to certain threats and issues which should be dealt accordingly to improve the system. (Ghaffar, 2004)
The cheap and readily deployable services of VoIP could be havoc in the private security of the people engaged in the voice communication through this process. The firewalls are also unable to handle the wide range of protocols that risk the security of the system. Some common problems that arise in the operations of the process of VoIP and also the solutions that are present can be summarized as under:
- Denial of Service Attacks. - The increasing use of this technology had increased the quantity of real time passing over the internet. So the Denial of Service is used as an effective tool by the disturbers to interrupt the system and downgrade an organization’s communication system. As these attacks deny the service completely so it is very difficult to prevent DoS attack. In such attacks the computer worms target the VoIP networks and which causes the lack of bandwidth and also disrupt the IP networks. The attacks can only be controlled by the use of strong firewalls that allow only some specified connections and always keeping the antivirus tools of the system updated.
- Eavesdropping - Eavesdropping is generally concerned with the tapping of lines or to gain unauthorized access over the IP networks. As the voice in the telecommunication process travels over the internet there is an always a probability that media stream is been tapped and data is being obtained. This attack is always been harmful and much easier for the attackers as the IP networks are engineered in such manner that eavesdropping cannot be stopped. The effects are that these attacks can even change the content of the communication process. These attacks can only be prevented by the use of security protocols such as IPSec which helps in enabling encryption on the voice steam of the technology.
- Spoofing- It generally implies the task of imitating a system and involves the falsifying of data to gain an illegitimate advantage of the system of other users. The general area that is spoofed by the attackers is the information of the caller identity details in order to deceive the calls that are taking place in a VoIP session. Spoofing helps the attacker to commit telecommunication frauds in the system. In order to prevent such frauds user should change the information related to their accounts at regular intervals.
- Spam Over Internet Technology- These spam are generated from the automatic calls and is also takes place in cell phones as well. These generally takes place through the voice channels and cannot be caught by the anti spam software’s or even web filters so they are very risky to the communication system of VoIP. This spam could be prevented by the use of specialized software’s made for this purpose such as NEC etc. (Dantu, 2009)
There are some other issues also in regards to the infrastructure that is required for a UN interrupted VoIP system such as:
- VoIP Voice Quality- This system generally occurs due to lack of voice quality in the communication system which is provided by the VoIP providers. The problems that generally occur are such as echo of voice issues. So this quality of services of VoIP could only be improved through the improvement of following factors like bandwidth connection, hardware, service providers etc.
- Bandwidth Dependent- The system is highly dependent on the bandwidth connection and thus does not enable proper functioning of the system and thus will create problems in the telecommunication process
- Connection problems- Sometimes there is a problem in the connection due to which the whole process is hampered and the infrastructure seems to fail significantly. There should be proper support of the service provider as well
- Power Issues – The power connection should be solid enough to help VoIP work properly and produce better results and this enable the company to work with proper directions and thus solve the issue. (Stuart, 2003)
The various ways to handle the problems could be:
- Up gradation of Software at regular intervals is very important for the system to operate properly
- Proper Maintenance of Antivirus Software also helps the system to work properly.
Dantu, R. (2009). Issues and challenges in securing VoIP.
Ghaffar, A. (2004). How Securen is VOIP. TMC.Net , 1.
Stuart, A. (2003). Security Issues with VoIP. Inc. , 1.
Tanase, M. (2004). Voice Over IP Security. Symantec , 1.