Run a local indoor sport club successfully
Introduction and Background
1) The Beijing government has spent more than $40 billion to build venues for the Beijing OLYMPIC GAMES. First big question is how to exploitation and utilization that Comprehensive Stadiums after that games. Beijing has more than 2819 stadiums and most of them are managed by sport clubs. Over half of the clubs are badly managed, as result sport club not making money.
2) Nowadays the population of Beijing is 22million, in September 14, 2009, municipal Bureau of Statistics, the National Bureau of Statistics Beijing Survey Corps that Beijing economic performance shows from January to August a total family income of urban residents per capita of 20,486 yuan, an increase of 11.1%, per capita with disposable income of 17,911 yuan, an increase of 8.2%.(Beijing Municipal Bureau of Statistics.2009)
3) So far we know sport is a very important ingredient of our life, for physical health and psychological health form our stressful life.
4) The increasingly number of Beijing people has become fans of indoor sport such as badminton or table tennis. So Beijing is a big market for sport industry.
5) There a big problem, which is most of the Beijing's sport club not making money.
1) What is sport Market? There are three ingredients of it, which are, purchasing power and intention to buy.
Sport market = population + purchasing power + intention to buy
2) The population of Beijing is 2,200,000, that very huge potential consumer groups. And local people are richer than before, total family income of urban residents per capita 20,486 yuan, an increase of 11.1%. Furthermore the statistics shows that Health is the greatest force for movement, about 76% people want to do some sport in order to keep health. (Beijing Municipal Bureau of Statistics.2009)
3) There are Problems for Further Study in the Field of sport clubs. Beijing fulfils the condition, but half of the sport club not making money.
4) There are five ingredient of run a small sport club, which is human resource, sport marketing, capital support, information, sport management. This time I will focus on sport human resource, sport market and management to find identify possible causes, why lots of sport club not making money, and to propose solutions it question.
5) Actually I will explore four problems for the Beijing indoor sport clubs
5.1) operating single project
Most of the gyms have very excellent sports equipment, but the survey found that Beijing's sports club focused on the venue rental project. High value-added product development and operation was very less.
5.2) club business comprehensive work of uneven development
Some clubs only one or two aspects have strong competitive, while others aspects would lack of competitiveness. I think all-round development is crucial for a sport club. For instance, there is a march; one is a normal person the other is a lame person, everybody would guess the result of the game, the person walk with a limp must lose the game. I want just show an uneven development will lead a sport club to lose game, lose market, lose the future.
5.3) Lack of club comprehensive management talented person
As a coach I worked in a sport club for two years, during that time I found that every Monday the club had a meeting to layout work for this week but the staff still worked low efficiency. So I think knowledge about sport management and sport human resource management is very important for a manager.
Rationale for the Study
1) The sport management functions are to plan, organize, lead and control sport.
2) "Human resource management (HRM) is the strategic and coherent approach to the Management of an organization's most valued assets - the people working there who individually and collectively contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the business. In simple sense, HRM means employing people, developing their resources, utilizing, maintaining and compensating their services in tune with the job and organizational requirement".（Qinghui, L. 2008）
3) "Marketing is a complex function that is extremely important to the overall success of sport club. Some corporate executives might describe sport marketing as selling goods and services to generate a profit. But, sport marketing is more than selling. And it is more than adverting and public relations. Those who provide service for professional sport man would view sport marketing as arranging for athletes to attend the grand opening or a shopping mail or arranging to have corporate executives play badminton with somebody but sport marketing is more than community relations". (Beech, J. 2004)
Literature Review Plan1 Introduction and background
1.1 Current Beijing's venues situation-----most of it has been run by sport club.
1.2 After OLYMPIC GAMES Beijing government hold what attitude to sport industry
2 Find the question
2.1 Proposed theory and definition what is marketing in sport industry
2.2 Beijing should be a big market but most of the sport club not making money.
2.3 Find the question-----why sport club not making money.
3. Put forward different definition between normal company and sport industrial company
3.1 sport Human resource management
3.2 sport marketing
4. Research methods
4.1 browse web to collect data
4.2 visit successful small sport club of UK
4.3 Interview the manager of sport club
5. Trying to find the answer or solve the problem
6. Talk some own opinions about future sport clubs.
Proposed research methods
Generally speaking, in the next year I will research the successful indoor sport club of UK, find their how to run their club. Browse Sports Club Web site, in order to collect their activities and schedule. Visit the club's operation, which talk with their staff in order to aware of their daily work. And should I have a chance, I will face to face interviews with the charge exchange person to understand his thinking and strategy. I will focus on three parts of it, which are sport human resource, sport management and marketing. And with my own experience try to find the answer for my essay ------ Run a local indoor sport club successfully and continue growing in consumers
A list of all the resources for my topic (include any websites, journals and books).
(2009)http://ldjy.beijing.cn/ldbh/ldgz/n214089523.shtml (Accessed on 20 November, 2009)
(2008)http://en.beijing2008.cn/ (Accessed on 29 November, 2009)
Beech, J. (2004) The Business of Sport Management, Financial times Prentice hall.
Brenda, G. (2003) Case Studies in Sport Marketing, Financial Information Technology.
Sean, H (2001) the Changing Face Of the Football Business, Frank Cass.
Janet, b. Park (2007) Tonlemporary
Sport Management, Champagin Ⅲ, Leeds: Human Kinetic.
Central council of physical recreation (1989) Let's Get Organised, Central Council of Physical Recreation.
Jennifer Y. Mak (May 2008), Examining Sport Management: Programs in the United States, Volume 11, Issue 1, Pages 77-91
Paul,D . (May 2004) Quality Management in Sports Clubs. Volume 7, Issue 1, May 2004, Pages 57-77
Need an essay? You can buy essay help from us today!