Jumps racing in australia
This argumentative essay aims to discuss the sport of jumps racing in the country of Australia. It is actually a horse-racing counterpart of the hurdles. The venues are the regions of Victoria and South Australia, together with Tasmania. Just recently the governing bodies within these vicinities have decided to again start the sport after years of being stopped in promulgation of jumps racing as a sport in their places. Main officers concerned for jumps racing in Australia is Australian Jumping Racing Association Chairman, Rodney Rae and Victoria Minister of Racing, Rob Hulls, who has urged the state racing body and the Racing Victoria, especially its Chairman Michael Duff, for an immediate improvising on the sport's safety measures that was implemented from the past 5 years in order to enhanced the horse and rider's safety. According to Hulls' letter, the government top priority is dedicated to have a racing industry, which has a security from amongst its horses and riders. Moreover, he said that, there have been significant enhancements in the safety record of jumping racing in Australia since the former 4 seasons that passed. It has an actual decline in incidents of falls - 30%+ and fatalities - 20%+, when correlated with the jump racing industry over the past 4 years. To top it of, he labeled the Australian jumps racing industry as a world leader in rider and horse safety.
2. Support in Economic Benefits
We can help you to write your essay!
- The sport of Jumps racing in Australia is driven to gain a reputation of being a leading world-class sporting industry, with aims to act the best practice, advance customer experience, optimise economic performance, expand horizons across Australia and further promote jumps racing to the people and care for horses. Furthermore, it encourages the fullest participation specifically of women and young people. The revenues, costs, assets and liabilities aids the economic benefits gained from jumps racing in Australia to all of its stakeholders and participants, like the owners of thoroughbred racehorses, the breeders of thoroughbred racehorses, further participants and stakeholders at the Victorian thoroughbred racing, communities wherein the Victorian thoroughbred racing is running and the Victorian economy generally. Adding to these are the social obligations of endorsing Australian jumps racing, encouraging a responsible gambling and gaming, and progressing the employment situation in the Australian thoroughbred racing industry.
3. Support in Rules
This year there has been changes in the jumps racing policies in Australia: a. A strand begins to be tested from a consultation with the Victorian Jockeys Association; b. Entire count of horses will be entered in a school with Stewards; c. There will be a new stern certified criteria for entering premium jumps races, which has a prize money of $70,000 or more to be applied; d. Extra and constant education of jumps riders on race tempo and their responsibilities as stated in LR62 (9) that says to retire a fatigued horse and firm teaching of the rule and instigation of needed penalties for any contraventions like suspension; e. Up to date final obstacle in every jumps races required to be stopped; f. The protocols and standards that will be executed in order to do heart rate checks of all horses upon completion of their final qualification trial to guarantee they are in shape for racing; g. The races that exceeds 3600 metres to be planned in order to endow the most lead up races that showcase jumps events with adding the distance of hurdle race intended for 25 July 2009 at Moonee Valley with range from 3200 metres to 3700 metres as well as the timely construction of a new 4000 metre race in the lead going up to the Warrnambool Grand Annual.
4. Counter - Inhumane/Cruelty to Horses
A lot of Australians has accounted to jumps racing being a brutal activity which can lead to accidental suffering, injuries and death of healthy and hale horses. In reality, this is a matter that should be everyone's concern living in Australia, since it is a country's prided world class sport. To this, animal welfare activists have expressed outrages and steps to solve this horse's injustice. One example of the cases is that when a horse gets a broken leg or neck and evidently suffers from crucial pains. Also, in a farm, where there are horses needed to aid in the meat production process, there are similar accidents committed to these animals, where there are certain of occasions of ignorance or slow actions to cure them. In the race track, these horses are treated better in terms of healing injuries. Yet, there is an underlying difference in the course of horses in entertainment and a slight low acceptance for them in farms.
5. Counter - Dangerous for Both Horses and Rides
- Indeed the sport of jumps racing is a cruel and dangerous activity, wherein the horses are obligated to jump metre-high fences in very high speeds. In fact, it is 10-20 times even extra dangerous to horses compared to the sport of flat racing. Moreover, numerous of the damages suffered in jumps races are life traumas to the horses and riders. In connection to this, there are 13 horses that died on the track in the latter year in Victoria's races, as well as during the preliminary part of the 2009 season there were 5 in Victoria and 2 in South Australia horses who have died. Adding to this, is the Warrnambool racing carnival accidents during the last May, wherein there were 3 horses, namely Pride of Westbury, Hassle and Clearview Bay, who went dead upon going through ghastly injuries in their jumps races.
In conclusion, the jumps racing in Australia should be regularly monitored to avoid further mishaps in the sport. Full reviews and medical check-ups are mandatory to both the horse and the rider. With this issue in Australia's racing industry, there are divisions in community and all these views are considered important and vital to be heard. Moreover, the state racing body and the RVL Board should be mindful of its primary obligations to the racing community and its stakeholders. The jumps racing in Australia ought to continue to meet its world class standards in the racing industry.
This essay is an example of a student's work
Animals Australia. (2008). Help End Jumps Racing Carnage - UPDATE: Minister Responds to Flood of Letters. Retrieved August 31, 2009, from http://www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/jumps-racing-tragedy/.
O'Brien, B. (2008). Jumps racing facing review. Sportal. Retrieved August 31, 2009, from http://sportal.com.au/Horseracing-news-display/jumps-racing-faces-review-50683.
Merkel, R. (2009). The end of jumps racing in Australia? Larvatus Prodeo. Retrieved August 31, 2009, from http://larvatusprodeo.net/2009/05/08/the-end-of-jumps-racing-in-australia/.
Racing Victoria. (2008). About Racing Victoria Limited. Retrieved August 31, 2009, from http://www.racingvictoria.net.au/p_About_RVL.aspx.
Racing Victoria. (2009). Jumps racing to continue in Victoria. Retrieved August 31, 2009, from http://www.racingvictoria.net.au/news/RVL/n_Jumps_racing_to_continue_in_Victoria.aspx.
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have the essay published on the UK Essays website then please click on the link below to request removal: