A problem for international students
The word plagiarism is been derived from Latin word that is called plagiarius which means to steal or abduct. The word is used to take somebody's idea and thoughts and represent it as our own without giving the persons reference.
Definition of Plagiarism: "Plagiarism is the act of taking credit for someone else's work". Naomi Rockler -Gladen, (2006). The biggest concern for all the educators around the globe in the recent years is plagiarism. Plagiarism occurs because of number of things and its consequences are very bad. Basically plagiarism means to use someone else's content and not to give the reference of the original author, which means using someone else's content as ours. To misuse somebody else's thought and to represent as our own is a serious offence by the UK law. Although there are many approaches taken over the years in order to avoid plagiarism. This is been done by making students aware that what exactly we mean by plagiarism. The students have to be made aware that online references that they take from the websites needs to be authorised by the law. Because of the use of internet the rate of plagiarism which is been observed by the education system, academics and some journals has increased tremendously as per statistic provided in past few years.
We can help you to write your essay!
Plagiarism can be called as un-intentional or intentional depending on the subjects. Unintentional plagiarism is been caused due to low understanding of a particular subject by various students. The time line that the students get is very low and they cannot manage to do their stuff within it, hence they follow with the option of cheating. On the other hand intentional plagiarism means the electronic work that is been done by some other students and is available on internet which is been used by different students and show it as their own without giving proper reference. This is called intentional plagiarism.
One of the reasons because of which the rate of plagiarism is so high is because of technology. All the information is easily available on college campus or internet. The basic types of plagiarism are:
- To directly cut, copy and paste information from any website,
- To copy the lecturers notes or his course material without his notification,
- To directly copy information from text books, articles from people and journals,
- To use someone else's information like copying data of another student including assignment or website or from essay material.
Types of Plagiarism:
- Collusion:- The collusion is been done when a student helps other student to copy the information that he has got and if both the student submit the same work then they will be colluded and their assignment will be shown as plagiarism within the academic rule and thus both of them will be failed. Collusion is called as group work when both the students are working on the same project of a course work. This is because both of the students share different ideas on a single research and thus it is called as joint work and not individual work for a project.
- Complete Plagiarism: - In a complete plagiarism case a student copies all the information of work done by others into his own from one and multiple sources. Although the sources are recognised or even though they are referenced properly, it is still considered as plagiarism because it does not contain original information from the student. It only contains the interpreted information that the student got from different sources.
- Partial Plagiarism: - In partial plagiarism only some of the information is been directly copied without giving the acknowledgement of the original source.
- Copy and Paste: - In this the student directly copy and paste the information that he gets from the websites or any electronic journals in order to complete his assignment. It is important for the students to include quotation marks wherever they are taking information from such websites and journals, with proper references.
- Word Switch: - In this case a student just copies a few sentence or paragraph from sources and changes few words here and there then also his assignment is considered as plagiarise.
- Misinterpreting common knowledge: - It is a type of information that is been easily known to all fields which are been easy to get from different text books which are, the historical facts or it can be the formulas known by everyone.
- Concealing Sources: - If you get some information from a source than it is necessary to give the reference of the text no matter N number of times student use that text.
- Self Plagiarism: - In this case you research on a document and you use your own work on a completely new assignment and do not refer to the appropriate assignment.
- Heedless Plagiarism: - The heedless plagiarism occurs because of poor study skills but it is actually an academic mismanage.
Thesis Statement: International students become the victim of Plagiarism and unfair practice in UK education system.
Problems faced by international students -International students that arrive in UK have a complete different educational background and the education system in UK is completely different. Most of the international students do come from continent like Asia. The education system in Asia does not consider plagiarism and unfair practice. In this continent student can get information from whatever source they want and they can directly copy paste this information in their assignments. They do not need to give the reference of the books, website or journal from which they are getting this information.
This essay is an example of a student's work
But when the students arrives in an education system of that like U.K. where plagiarism is considered as crime by UK law. Thus when the students get their assignments from the college they do it in the same way as they did in their home country, because of which they are been plagiarised. When the professor at the university explain them the problem of plagiarism, the students find it tough to understand at the first time.
The easy information provided on the website encourages the student to do plagiarism with the weakening education system. The main problem with this is the internet derives large number of data which influences the students to get it easily and save their time. On one click on internet, the students are able to get large number of websites links from which they can take essays and others work.
When we are considering the book the publication of the book is to be referenced with the location form the place where you got your material. In the case of websites students should enter the URL from which they are getting this information but the main problem with internet data is that it is not relevant and some websites are not even authorised and hence information collected in form this website is regarded as useless.
Examples of Plagiarism:
- Modern communication technology is driving workers in the corporate world to distraction. They feel buried under the large number of messages they receive daily. In addition to telephone calls, office workers receive dozens of emails and voice mail messages daily. In one company, in fact, managers receive an average of 100 messages a day. Because they do not have enough time to respond to these messages during office hours, it is common for them to do so in the evenings or at weekends at home.
- Mobile phones undoubtedly make it easier for people to work wherever they choose. (An American advertisement features a man with a golf bag talking on his mobile phone, telling his boss that he is working from home.) They are a great help for people on the move, and they make it easier for people to get in touch with each other whenever they need to. They are quintessentially personal devices. Japanese teenagers used to have to phone each other at home, with the attendant risk that the phone would be answered by a grown-up; now they can chat to each other at all hours without being intercepted.
- The workers in the cooperate world are been distracted by the use of modern communication technology. The large number of messages they receive daily because of it they feel like drowned. The workers just not only receive telephone calls but in addition also receive dozens of emails as well as voicemails messages on daily basis. Basically in any company a manager receives one hundred messages every day. In a day there are only eight to ten working hours in which the managers cannot reply to each and every messages, thus they have to reply them on non office hours or even at weekends.
- Mobile phones help the people greatly when they are travelling from one place to another and when they want to communicate with each other whenever they want. They are the most essential personal devices for individual. By the use of mobile you can contact to the person with whom you want to talk. Thus the Japanese teenagers who would always require to phone each other and they were afraid that the phone was not been received by someone else. But now they are free and can talk with each other for number of hours.
The ways for preventing plagiarism:
- Make notes of original content - The students can be informed that they should first take the necessary information regarding to the topic from different sources and then start making the notes. The students need to follow a basic format to prepare their notes. The professors at the university should explain the students the efficient way of note taking helping them to write the original information. They should see to it that the skills of international students are been developed while note taking. They should also give necessary information in order for the useful way of accessing information on internet. They should give proper example while explaining the good and bad content.
- Feedback on report - An effective way to keep the plagiarism away is by questioning the students regarding what exactly have they done in their report which is been presented by them. All the topics that are been covered should be discussed to catch the list of all the writers whose original content we are using. And also we need to make sure that after getting the author's name the proper reference of the author with the book should be done in an exact format.
- Way of writing - Every different student has its own unique way of writing any data. The pattern that each student has while writing is completely different, hence we should know the style in which the students is writing all the data. The professor have to mark or grade a large number of students, hence the style of writing the information on reports should be clear for a particular subject. If this is been done properly we can detect and avoid plagiarism.
Penalties faced because of plagiarism:
Earn money as a Freelance Writer!
We’re looking for qualified experts
As we are always expanding we are looking to grow our team of freelance writers. To find out more about writing with us then please check our freelance writing jobs page.
Plagiarism means not only to copy the data from an individual's work that can be paraphrased into sentences but it also means to take someone else idea and thought without mentioning the name of that individual and giving credit to that person. In such cases there can be many legal punishments faced by the person. The students that practice plagiarism knowingly or unknowingly because of easy access to the number of sources have to face penalties of the failure in their assignments which means they need to repeat the whole course. If an international student is caught for more than one time practicing plagiarism, than he is restricted from the college or university. This is because the plagiarism is a legal act in the violators of the act has to face punishment whether they are from academics or any other related field.
After considering and able to see the large amount of consequences that the international student have to face because of plagiarism are assumption that they are the victim of plagiarism is somewhat true with the evidence in our main body that shows the adverse effects of plagiarism that the international students have to face. Thus it is advisable for the university and the students to take some appropriate measures to avoid the risk of getting plagiarise. The easiest way in which the students can stop themselves of becoming victim of plagiarism is by using quotation marks before and after the end of the sentence with properly referencing the name of the author whose original content we are using. The other way is to paraphrase into sentences and give appropriate references. There are even many online tools that helps international student to keep away plagiarism rate away from their work.
- www.buzzle.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.buzzle.com/articles/consequences-of-plagiarism-penalties-for-plagiarism.html [Accessed 20 April 2010]
- www.buzzle.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.buzzle.com/articles/preventing-plagiarism-tips-and-techniques.html [Accessed 15 April 2010]
- www.collegeuniversity.suite101.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URLN http://collegeuniversity.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_definition_for_plagiarism [Accessed 19 April 2010]
- www.merlinhelpstuendents.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/resourcecentre/studyguide/plagiarism.asp [Accessed 15 April 2010]
- www.oppapers.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Plagiarism-Internet/120106 [Accessed 16 April 2010]
- www.oppapers.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Plagiarism-Social-Problem/128372 [Accessed 16 April 2010]
- www.sussex.ac.uk, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.sussex.ac.uk/academicoffice/1-4-1-2-2.html [Accessed 18 April 2010]
- University of Portsmouth, (2008), academic writing skill, Portsmouth -pg.18 error.
- J. Slaght, (2004), The Economist, English for Academic study, Reading, pg.14
Globalisation has played a critical role in the development of Chinese economy. China has been able to procure both positive and negative effects but the positive effects have overcome the negatives with regards to globalisation. China has shown a great economic development thought it has to face some of the problems. China has revealed astonishing growth with no signs of slowing down with regards to globalisation.
- www.books.google.co.uk, (2010)[Online], Available from URL http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yVOpsq0xTBgC&pg=PA15&dq=globalization+book+definition+and+meaning&hl=en&ei=-2_PS6-6CsyPOLm8_OoP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=globalization%20book%20definition%20and%20meaning&f=false [Accessed on 21 April 2010]
- www.buzzle.com, (2010) [Online], Available from URL http://www.buzzle.com/articles/negative-effects-of-globalization.html [Accessed 12 April 2010]
- www.books.google.co.uk, (2010)[Online], Available from URL http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=w3O88intjGIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=globalization+in+china&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false [Accessed 26 March 2010]
- www.exampleessays.com, (2010)[Online], Available from URL http://www.exampleessays.com/viewpaper/61138.html%20%28%20China%29%20--- [Accessed 20 April 2010]
- www.bukisa.com,(2010)[Online], Available from URL http://www.bukisa.com/articles/92710_economic-impact-of-globalization-on-chinas- economy [Accessed 19 March 2010]
- www.chinadaily.com, (2004) [Online], Available from URL http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-03/21/content316671.html [Accessed 24 March 2010]
- www.ifg.org, (2010) [Online], Available from URL www.ifg.org/pdf/FinalChinaReport.pdf [Accessed on 21 April 2010]
- www.ideas.repec.org, (2006) [Online], Available from URL http://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberwo/12373.html [Accessed 19 April 2010]
- www.princeton.edu, (2010)[Online], Available from URL http://www.princeton.edu/ceps/workingpapers/115chow.pdf [Accessed 14 April 2010]
- www.worldscibooks.com,(2010)[Online], Available from URL http://www.worldscibooks.com/economics/6151.html [Accessed 14 April 2010]
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have the essay published on the UK Essays website then please click on the link below to request removal: